Thread: Mid 80's American re-issues

Forum Member

Mid 80's American re-issues

Hi guys,
    I'm new to this forum (from the Les Paul forum) and will start to track down info from past posts later today but my question is:
    What are the overall feelings on the U.S. mid eighties reissues, specifically the '62 re-issue ? Are the current ones thought to be better ? Finally, it's my understanding the mis eighties reissues were the start of the custom shop re-issues. Is that even close to true ?
    Thanks Everyone.

I've got an '87

Well nearly. The neck says "Nov 86" and the body's marked "1-87", you can't get much more mid-80's than that!

Now that it's had a chance to age, & I've beaten it up for 15-odd years, I can say it's as nic eas any strat I've ever played, CS or vintage. good ones are good ones, no matter when (or where) they're built.

The new (post 1999) ones are a more accurate reproduction than the earlier ones, & the general reputation of the build quality is stellar, but as far as I can tell, the American Vintage series has always been the flagship of the regular production guitars.

As far as the origin of the Custom Shop, I couldn't say...
    Master of Disaster on the Stratocaster

Forum Member

mid eighties

Thanks detune. It's nice to know you're happy with it. The one I'm interested in is aparently an 85-86 in Fiesta red with nitro finish.

Do all reissues from US have nitro finish ?

I bought a new '57 re-issue Strat in the '86 or '87 and it was by far the worst guitar I've ever owned.

It looked great, but had a hump in the neck that the truss rod couldn't fix and very dark and dead tone.

The body had the deepest arm cut and belly cut that I've ever seen. It was very slick!

I sold it and bought a new Strat Plus (mistake #2?!?).

I finally bought a resto-rodded '57 that Michael Stevens re-necked in Austin in the early to mid '80's (talk about early custom shop!). That guitar kicks ass!

I'd still like to get another sunburst '57 re-issue.

When they stopped production at the original Fullerton plant in 1984 they started having the 57/62ri strats made in japan.

So I would think most 85 Strats were japan made and shipped to the USA for sale. When the Corona plant got into full operation they started making the Strats in the USA again.

I had a 2001 62ri Strat didnt like it as much as the 82 I had. Kept it 2 weeks and sent it back for a refund. Used my credit to buy 2 nice MIM guitars.

That's right, my '57 re-issue was an early Corona guitar.

That might explain the spotty quality.

I bought it fairly cheap because it had sat in a local shop for a while.
    The nitro on the edges of the headstock were slightly damaged from where a latex covered wall hanger contacted it's sides.

I didn't know what I was doing at the time (still don't) and fell in love with the guitar.

A local teacher/professional musician had a similar '57 reissue and replaced the neck, I suppose for the same problem that I had, although he might've just wanted a flatter radius and bigger frets. His sounded good though.

I was in a band with a guy who had an anniversary Strat ('77?) that blew mine away as far as tone and playability were concerned.

Forum Member

debating the purchase

All good information to have. I'm debating on the purchase of this '62 reissue. It's $1300 cdn, good shape, some checking, and has a very mellow sound which is a stark contrast to my cream '73 hard tail maple neck and my Jap '57 reissue ample neck. The big thing I learned being a gibson guy, was the nitro makes all the difference in the world on a guitar, so my next strat will have that. Maybe I should be looking at some of the new reissues as well ?

Forum Member

Re: debating the purchase

Originally posted by smog2
    All good information to have. I'm debating on the purchase of this '62 reissue. It's $1300 cdn, good shape, some checking, and has a very mellow sound which is a stark contrast to my cream '73 hard tail maple neck and my Jap '57 reissue ample neck. The big thing I learned being a gibson guy, was the nitro makes all the difference in the world on a guitar, so my next strat will have that. Maybe I should be looking at some of the new reissues as well ?
    Worth every penny pal!! These axes will be worth some coin in ten more years.

CT.

Forum Member

coco

Thanks for the opinion. I'm really looking forward to a new axe.
    Where's Garden Hill ? I'm in TO