Thread: Ok, I need an Overdrive that will make me sound like this...

Ok, I need an Overdrive that will make me sound like this...

Here is a sound clip from the current "Sound Check Jam" .
    Fezz did the background and this is my take on the lead.

I need an overdrive pedal that will make me sound like ME....
    Is there an overdrive pedal that will make me sound like this?

Short Shuffle in B
    Last edited by photoweborama; 01-29-2004 at 03:14 PM.
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

i've been digging on tubescreamers lately. i have an 808 modded one. really transparent. but i've used rats in the past to great effect (pun not intended). but if turn the output up and keep the distortion low, most overdrive pedals sound pretty natural. as long as your amp is set to a mild crunch and you use the pedal to push the amp a little harder.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

fezz parka
    Get a Bad Bob...

Bad Bob

That looks like the one.

I'll have to save up for that one... The minivan is in the shop.. Mechanic says it should run, oh... not more than $2500.00...
    Photoweborama

Photo,

If you are a little bit skilled with a soldering iron you can build a Bad Bob for about 35 - 45 bucks. The circuit is very easy and I can point you in the direction of a schematic if you are interested.

The jacks, tpdt switch, and the enclosure are the expensive components, the electronics are very inexpensive. Money can be saved on the enclosure if you use a electrical junction box from Home Depot. I prefer a more refined look and use the Hammond boxes (same one used on the Bad Bob).

Yes, I can make it myself That woud be great. I'd love to try it out.
    Photoweborama

fezz parka
    DIY

Yep, thats the circuit. I will give you a couple more links to check out:

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folder...er/wrapper.htm

Gives good instruction on wiring up the jacks and switches for a true bypass setup. Fulltone makes great TPDT switches to make bypass with LED very easy, they can be bought directly from Fulltone or from Stew Mac.

Next is a forum much like this one for building effects:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/sboxfor...ac0bee3040fe07

Great info there plus you can ask questions. Other stuff you might want to know, I buy a lot of my stuff from Mouser, they take credit cards, have most everything I need, and there is no minimum order. One last thought is in regards to how you build the circuit card. One method is perf board (can be bought at radio shack). I personally think that for the average hobbyist this is the easiest method. See the beginners section of the diystompbox site for a buildup of a perfboard ( http://www.diystompboxes.com/sboxfor...wforum.php?f=6) the sticky posts ). The only disadvantage is they can sometimes fail (usually at the most inopportune moments. That is why some people etch there own PCBs. For a first time shot, keep it simple. You could always redo the circuit assembly with a PCB if you don't like the perf board. Sometimes people sell pre etched PCBs for some of the more popular circuits. Geofex does and so does Black Bear electronics so that could be another option.

Good luck and if you have questions or need help, ask. I think this is one of the more fun aspects of playing guitar and tinkering with your own equipment.

Originally posted by bzimm
    Photo,

If you are a little bit skilled with a soldering iron you can build a Bad Bob for about 35 - 45 bucks.
    You're probably right, and Bob'd be the first one to tell you. I've built some of my own stuff too, but sometimes you just want to have somebody do a nice job building it. Bob's not getting rich on these, that's for sure.

Nice pedal, BTW. I've had mine about 6 months.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Oh, heh I don't have a problem with Bob building these and selling them. Looks to me like he does a great job and they are fairly priced. Photo said he would have to save up some money to get the pedal so I was just pointing out a cheaper alternative.

It may be awhile before I build it, but I was looking at a perfboad that has a bunch of etching on it already and you just have to sort of make solder jumpers. I'll try and find a sample to show you.
    Photoweborama

fezz parka
    Originally posted by Kap'n
    ... but sometimes you just want to have somebody do a nice job building it.
    Exactly!