Thread: Dying Crybaby

Forum Member

Dying Crybaby

I picked up a used crybaby today that's in desperate need of some TLC, but got it for next to nothing, so I figured it may be a good intro into modding pedals. Any advice on the following problems would be GREATLY appreciated!

Problems:
    1. the sound is pret bass heavy, and you don't even get a real change in tone until your' 2/3 of the way through the travel, and even then it never gets really trebbley.

2. switch is hard to engage

3. pedal doesn't rock smoothly. It feels as though there is no (or little) lubrication in the joint between pedal & rocker.

4. there is a slight volume drop when the pedal is on.

I'm wanting to get this baby cooking with as little $$ investment as possible, and am willing to butcher it to any degree necessary.
    FYI, my favorite wah tone would be Trey Anastasio of Phish, who I believe uses a Teese RMC-3.

Thanks,
    jesse
    Last edited by guitarpicker_ma; 01-28-2004 at 05:39 PM.

That's quite a challenge - making your beat-up old Crybaby sound like an RMC-3. Good luck.

I'm actually sorta looking for a wah housing and pot I could pick up for cheap for a weird project. If you ever want to just unload that thing, give me an email, will ya?

Forum Member
    Change the POT... Replace the switch with a DPST so you can make it True Bypass, this will solve the volume drop.

When replacing the switch adjust the height so it has an easier touch for on/off.

Perhaps I misunderstood but it sounded like the volume drop was when the effect was turned on. Making it a true bypass pedal would not help this problem (although it definitely would help if the problem was when the effect was off). Wahs tend to load the signal when they are in bypass mode giving a really muddy sound. Making it true bypass would get rid of this.

Just replace the faulty switch with a Carlin DPDT switch. The Carlins are nice and tall making it easy to adjust the point at which pressure on the pedal turns the effect on.

For the other problem I will have to look at a schematic and get back to you (If indeed the volume loss is when the effect is on).

Forum Member
    I poked around inside the pedal last night and adjusted the range on the pot (as though I'm now using 5-10 instead of 2-7 on a 1-10 volume pot). Had a HUGE effect on the tone of the wah. It sounds much closer to what I envisioned. It could be a bit smoother, but I'm going to play with it a bunch this weekend and really get a feel for it.

As for the true bypass issue, I'm going to use it in conjuction with a Boss PSM-5 master switch/power supply I've got lying around (with only the wah in the loop). This will also allow me to not have to worry about the pedal's switch.

If there are any other recommendations, please let me know!

jesse

Forum Member
    Originally posted by bzimm
    Perhaps I misunderstood but it sounded like the volume drop was when the effect was turned on. Making it a true bypass pedal would not help this problem
    Whoops........ sorry.

Reading is fundamental

Re: Dying Crybaby

Originally posted by guitarpicker_ma
    I picked up a used crybaby today that's in desperate need of some TLC, but got it for next to nothing, so I figured it may be a good intro into modding pedals. Any advice on the following problems would be GREATLY appreciated!

Problems:
    1. the sound is pret bass heavy, and you don't even get a real change in tone until your' 2/3 of the way through the travel, and even then it never gets really trebbley.

2. switch is hard to engage

3. pedal doesn't rock smoothly. It feels as though there is no (or little) lubrication in the joint between pedal & rocker.

4. there is a slight volume drop when the pedal is on.

I'm wanting to get this baby cooking with as little $$ investment as possible, and am willing to butcher it to any degree necessary.
    FYI, my favorite wah tone would be Trey Anastasio of Phish, who I believe uses a Teese RMC-3.

Thanks,

I GOT A ANCIENT ANCIENT OL CRYBABY ORIGINAL I REPLACED THE POTENTIOMETER WITH ONE CALLED A HOT POT IT IS LIKE NIGHT AND DAY ALSO YOU NEED A NEW CARLING ON/OFF SWITCH THERE IS A BYPASS MOD THA IS A TRUE BYPASS MOD SAVIN YOUR BATTERIES/NOT ALTERIN YOUR TONE AT ALLB N/ ETC...THA MOD IS UP TO YOU CHUCKOCASTER KNOS THE BYPASS MOD I NEVER HAB TO DO IT TO MINE
    /
    AS FOR SOME REA-SON I SWEAR BATTERIES 9V
    ONES LAST LONG IN MINE AND I GOT 2 VERY OLD CRYBABYS VERY- VERY OLD
    BUT I DO USE THE DUNLOP HOTPOT MOD VOL POT ITS KILLER MORE COLORFUL SWEEPS........IT COSTS APPROX $16-$18 TO BUY THE HOT POT BUT 3 WIRES IT IS LIKE A NEW CRYBABY IMOP

NOISEFULLY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS

jesse
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS