Thread: Date of the first Strat "production" run?

Forum Member

Date of the first Strat "production" run?

I was looking at a mag today at the bookstore that had a pretty good article about Fender Stratocasters. The mag talked about the 50 year history and comes with a CD taped to the front to help players learn SRV's Texas Flood, a Dire Straights song and a few others.

I was quickly reading the mag when I read about a quote from George Fullerton from his book (what is the name of this book??). He said the first "production" run of 100 Strats began in October of 1954. It also stated that any Strats with dates before that were (from April '54-Sept. '54) salesman guitars that were shown for the purpose of generating sales. In other words, a pre-production run.

Can anyone post any links concerning this? Can anyone post a jpg of Mr. Fullerton's comments? Thanks!

dates

don't know if anyone really knows that info anymore. i've read various contradicting statements. i have an 8/54 dated strat, it has the earliest features, 100k pots instead of 250's, small round string holes on the trem cover,,,etc. the serial number is on the neck plate...07xx. i have a friend with a 5/54 guitar, it's serial number is 05xx, also on the neck plate.

how any of that squares with the 278 strats invoiced and shipped to stores in 54 i have no idea. it's just a wonderful old guitar tho.
    they can kill ya, but they can't eat ya.