Thread: Pickguard template material...

Pickguard template material...

Anybody know what the best material for a pickguard template is?? I need to make two templates for two new pickguards -- one for a P bass another for a thinline hybrid Tele...

Thanks,
    -Kevin
    GAS: Gear Acquisition Syndrome
    TAS: Telecaster Acquisition Syndrome
    BAS: Bass Acquisition Syndrome
    ...but I don't have SAS: Stratocaster Acquisition Syndrome...not yet anyway...

Forum Member
    Got Strat

TFF Stage Crew
    The best I've found after trying nearly everything over the years is 1/2" MDF which is available at Home Depot or any other building supply. If you take a look at my pic on the mugshots page you will see several templates hanging on my bench made from this.

Something you may also want to consider is to make two templates; a master and one that you will actually be using. In the event that a template becomes damaged (router bit failure, etc.) you then have a master to fall back on.

Got some today OneL...thanks...now I have to trace and cut which is the hard part (sweating as I type...)

-Kevin
    GAS: Gear Acquisition Syndrome
    TAS: Telecaster Acquisition Syndrome
    BAS: Bass Acquisition Syndrome
    ...but I don't have SAS: Stratocaster Acquisition Syndrome...not yet anyway...

just take your time buddy. you've already modded your amp, don't sweat the small stuff. guards aren't that hard to cut. like i said, take your time. be sure to have some fine files laying around. the most important thing is to make sure your piskguard screw holes line up with the perimeter. have fun, cause that is what moddin' is all about.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"