Thread: Sat in with TBF -again.

Forum Member

Sat in with TBF -again.

Our acoustic gig ends at 11:00 and TBF was playing until 1:00AM.
    Moreover he was only a few minutes off of my route home. So, since I usually get invited to sit in - I brought my MIM Strat and Super Champ. As noted in TBF's post, they really have the volume under control. Filled the very small room nicely without being obnoxious and still had R'N'R energy. Rock Garden was gracious enough to let me sit in at the beginning of their next set so as not to delay my journey unduly. Another guy, Joe (somebody) sat in on lead vocals. We did Red House, All along the Watchtower and Tinman. The last with Dan, Rock Garden's regular Lead singer.
    It was an interesting juxtaposition of lead styles as Joe Sassino(sp.), TBF's lead guitar leans more toward the Hendrix/SRV sound while I am a bit more Claptonesque. Despite using an amp and guitar that I really don't play very often, I believe that I managed a passable imitation of a guitar player. Rock Garden is an inspiration to play off of and Joe Sassino almost forces me to play better. No head cutting - just fun.Thanks guys. I haven't had the chance to rock like that in ages.
    If you ever ask me to "sub" again and Joe S. and I are both on the gig I suggest that you gete a bigger stage I saw several extra necks on his side and you know what a gear whore I am. Most of my gigs lately have been acoustic and I think I need to soften up my picking for the electric. The Super Champ did the job admirably almost more than I needed.
    Thanks again.
    Last edited by shunka; 01-25-2004 at 05:11 PM.

Re: Sat in with TBF -again.

Originally posted by shunka
    The Super Champ did the job admirably almost more than I needed.
    Thanks again.
    Thank YOU! The SC sounded great - and I agree with your assessment of tone comparisons. You two were a nice complement to each other. I know you worried about being too loud but keep in mind, the rest of us had at least some presence in the mains - while your SC was 'it' for you. That's why I asked you to turn UP a bit - I knew you had to be a little louder than the rest of us to carry well. I think your volume was just fine, and your playing was outstanding (as usual).

Forum Member
    Ever since then I've been thinking that I need to spend a bit more time on the electric. Haven't really got the new house "set up" yet, so haven't plugged in yet..until yesterday. Had about 45 minutes home alone and plugged the 35 year old Cherry SB LP into the Super Champ. WHOA!!!!
    There are two Musicians/jam/open mics within two miles of the new place. Gotta get myself up there a few times.