Thread: Getting the LOW notes?

Getting the LOW notes?

Lately I've been tuning in to a lot more of the music my 14 yr old stepdaughter listens to.

Besides hearing it through the walls and floors I'm watching a lot of "FUSE" tv, Rockzilla show. Most of the bands are using 5 string basses and/or tuning down very, very low.

Since I don't have a 5 string, and don't plan to buy one any time soon, what are my alternatives if I ever wanna get down into blue whale territory?

Do octave pedals/effects work well? I have the octave function in my new Tascam bass trainer, but I can't really tell what it would sound like thru an amp.

And what about tuning down?

This is all totally foreign territory to me, so I'd appreciate your expert advice. Come to think of it, the only nonstandard bass tuning I've ever used is tuning my E string down to D to play Impressions by John Coltrane.

What do y'all have to say on this subject. I'm all ears.
    Ayatollah of Dumbassollah

facebook: Stephen Doc Watson

D's about as low as an "E" string will go without sounding like drek.

But if you have a second 4 string, have a new nut cut and try tuning BEAD. Cheaper than buying a 5, and it's a lot of fun.

But I tend to use a 5 string so that I can reach a low note while playing higher on the neck- not necessarily a lower than E note, but one that doesn't require a position change.
    Everyone sings about Memphis, but no one ever does anything about it.

Forum Member
    He used to cut the grass...But now his mind is totally destroyed by music.
    I often jam with a guy who plays a 5 string, and I think the notes below E really sound like crap. Especially the B!

Sample of one, thanks for sharing.
    Everyone sings about Memphis, but no one ever does anything about it.