Thread: American Idol - Anyone watching?

American Idol - Anyone watching?

Up until now, I haven't watched this show. I have many problems with the whole concept of it. First, for the contestants, the age limit is flagrant discrimintation and ageism that should be illegal. Second, there are many talented singers that have been slugging away for years in obscurity, either as part-time musicians with a day jobs, or as full time semi-pros barely making ends meet. These are people that should be on records and making a decent living, but the music industry instead focuses on sex appeal and ass shaking over sheer musical talent. I don't dispute the the previous 'Idol' winners are talented and deserve to make it. It just pisses me off that I've seen so many friends chewed up and spit out by the music industry over the past 25 years.

That said, I tuned in to the show for the past couple of nights for the auditions and found myself laughing my ass off. Some of these people are so bad, I wanted to start howling. Just to watch the looks on the faces of Simon, Randy, and Paula was priceless. I have to give them credit. If I had to listen to thousands of these "performances" over several weeks, I'd probably want to kill myself.
    Knowledge is the small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify. -- Ambrose Bierce

MIKE H GUESS WHA ?

THE IDOL SHOW I WAS HOST MAIN TYPER LMAO YOU KNO THE NOISY FELLA THA TYPEN ALWAYS IN CAPS IN THE TFF
    LMAO
    HI BRO
    HOWS YOUR FRIENDS HAND HEALIN ALONG
    I HOPE ALL IS FINE
    JUST SAYIN HI BRO

BLUELOU

OOOOOO'H YEA
    TELE-BOB TOLD ME ABOUT THESE SCONES I WENT TO PASTRY SHOP DOWN HERE I NEVER TRIED SCONES NEVERTHE LESS KNEW WHA ONE WAS
    ITS RATHER A TORTUROUS LITTLE PASTRY
    NOT TOO BAD
    THEIR UNIQUE
    TRY SOME OUT
    BUT TELE-BOB
    WAS TOTALLY RIGHT I NEEDED A GALLON OF COFFEE AT BREAKFAST TO WASH IT DOWN

THANX TELE-BOB

LMAO
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS

MIKEH- I totally agree.
    Is it just me, or when watching something like that, do you get this feeling, "This is some really jive-ass crap. I AM fucking talented. I gotta get a band together." or something along those lines.
    It's like, as rusty as I am at the moment, if THAT can lead to a carreer, I must have something cool and interesting to offer to some little crowd of "the public" somewhere around here.
    It's the polar opposite of seeing, say, Leo Kotke do what he does with a guitar, his fingers and his whacked, dry, hilarious 'tween tune banter. You go home feeling like you suck. He sits there and blows you away on several levels.
    Idol SUCKS to such a degree, that it can accidentally inspire.

I watched it over my shoulder while tinkering with my new/old Guild.
    It WAS indeed funny as hell.
    It provided no real entertainment in the form of music though, which is USUALLY the reason I'd listen to someone sing.
    The scooter chick was at least an individual, in that once they took her gimmick away, she used her voice to just sing. No curly cues, no waving the arm. SHe just sang a lyric and a melody. Crap song, but still...

It's basically a hyped up extended kareoke night with a prize FAAAARRRRR in excess of what any of them deserve.

LOU WHATCHA' DUNKIN YER SCONES IN BRO
    LMAO
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

I find it strange.

Competing to see who gets ripped off by a record company.

VM

If aliens listened to our current top 40, they'd think that the entire planet was populated by sexually ambivalent robots with ethnic insecurity.

I have never really watched it either but it was due to my work schedule. Now I have finally seen it and it is pretty entertaining.

Originally posted by BlueFrogs
    Now I have finally seen it and it is pretty entertaining.
    That's exactly what it is meant to be. Light entertainment and not some socially conscious endeavor.

It would be nice to have someone take an interest and try and further the careers of all the talented and working musicans in this world but its kinda like expecting "Hooters" to hire senior citizens as waitresses to help supplement their social security benefits.

GTRPLYR/MIKE H

YOU HIT THE RIGHT NOTE THERE BRO
    ITS ALL HYPE TV CELEBRATICAL HYPOTHETICICAL CRAP IMOP
    I NEVER WATCH THE SHOW

AS FOR YOU NEOFAUVE LMAO

TRY DUNKIN THEM SCONES IN A ICE COLD DRAFT OF BUDWEISER THEY GO DOWN EASIER
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS

Forum Member
    I never saw any of the first season, and only saw one episode of the second, during the "rehearsals". I watched the past two nights, and I gotta tell ya, it's like watching a car crash.

Ageism and discrimination aside, you KNOW that 90% of the contestants KNOW going in that they don't have a shot, and it's usually those that are so vocal about critisism...look in the mirror. You're horrid. Scat girl? What the hell are you thinking? You're lumpy, disheveled, and couldn't hold a note let alone an actual word in song, in a bucket.

It's really annoying that this show for 3 years now has warranted attention. They have the runners-up sing a myriad of showtunes and old standards, and then the "winners" get lumped into the young hot t&a disposable Spears/Aguiliera pop scene.

I continue not to get it. Randy is a joke, and his lingo is ridiculous. Paula has nothing to say and no real credibility, since she can barely sing herself. And Simon, ultimately is just a cash whore.

Did the world NEED a "From Justin to Kelly" movie? Sofa-King stupid. Banal. Insipid. Trite.

And ultimately a good representation of EVERYTHING that is wrong with the music industry.

At least Simon is honest in spite of his bias.

Somewhere between mile marker #24 and mile marker #856

Re: American Idol - Anyone watching?

Heavens No! I'm not into torture ....

Watching that is true torture!

Randy Jackson's far from a joke. Aside from that one ridiculous Journey video (no spandex, Randy, please), he has had a serious career as a session musician, producer, and musical director for some serious tours.
    Everyone sings about Memphis, but no one ever does anything about it.

Forum Member
    Let me rephrase Dwell. I know ALOT about Randy's history, but his use of "colorful" hip language on this show borders on sad. And I just don't know, other than being able to discern pitch correctness, what qualifies him as a talent judge.

Like I said, same thing for Paula Abdul.

I take nothing away from Randy's history and acheivments with my comments...but if I hear him call one more person "dawg" I'll scream.

He's at LEAST 50 (I know he's not,but you get the idea) yes? You *should* have a bit of a different lingo at that age.

I DO tip my hat to him last nite for sticking up for the Britney wannabe in spite of Paula's rantings tho. For this ridiculous, looks based show, it SHOULD really be about talent, and he stood up for that.

Then again, I was half asleep when that went down, maybe I got the gist of it wrong....anyway, Paula is annoying.
    Last edited by paparhino; 01-22-2004 at 11:39 AM.

Paula Abdul judging singers= Stevie Wonder judging photographs
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Originally posted by NeoFauve
    Paula Abdul judging singers= Stevie Wonder judging photographs
    LOL!
    Dude, you're not right.
    Knowledge is the small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify. -- Ambrose Bierce

Forum Member
    And my Wife wonders why I caint stand watching that peice of shit show. Here`s me, 30 plus years with a guitar in my hand, playin` shithole dives for $100 bucks a head,,I canplay and sing circles around all of the contestants,,and she wonders why I`m bitter!!!! Shit!

CT.:!

Old Tele man

huh?

which izat? American Idol or American IDLE?

Man, the show (at least the auditions) are funny as hell, and very much a confidence boost for me. <g>

Yeah, the "dawg" is worn out, but I know a lot of pro musicians whose vocabulary never quite grows up.

As for Paula, well, she knows about everything except the music that aspiring pop stars go through (imaging, packaging, and presentation- she's still a good dancer/choreographer, no matter how absent her musical ability).

CocoTone, if that's the case, go audition. But I think we all know the difference between a competition for musicians and a competition for pop stars.
    Everyone sings about Memphis, but no one ever does anything about it.

What you've got to remember is that the show is all about 'pop'. You'll never see anyone that's a real good blues or jazz singer on Idol. It's about pop showmanship and pop singing style. But the ones that truly suck are the ones that make the show what it is. Everyone watches to see the people that truly suck, and furthermore, the producers always make sure they put more than enough of them on the show. They also make the good ones stick out as being even better.

Did anyone see the kid Monday night that sang 'Unchained Melody'? He was the best so far. Even Simon, after admitting that it as his favorite song, said that it was the best version of the song he'd ever heard. This guy may go all the way; he sang it perfectly.