Thread: Methylated Spirits for fingertips

Forum Member

Methylated Spirits for fingertips

I'm back to playing guitar after 25 years of not playing and I've heard that dabbing methylated spirits on the fret hand fingertips will help to toughen it up quicker. I think methylated spirits is an Australian term.

I've gone to drug stores, music shops and hardware stores and only thing close to it is methyl hydrate. Does someone know if it is the same thing? I live in Canada.

Forum Member
    I think the term is "mentholated spirits"...

Forum Member
    I think Carlos Santana's conga player (Raul? Paul Ruis?)(the guy with the cigarette always) recommends pissing on your callouses in the shower.
    Certainly has toughened up the callouses on my FEET!
    ;)

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman
    If you spent as much time playing your guitar that you'll spend looking for your mentholated spirits, your problem will be solved!!!
    Once you've woodshedded 'till you sweat and bleed, you can shower and piss on whatever you want!

Welcome back to the grind!!
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

Originally posted by Steve
    I think Carlos Santana's conga player (Raul? Paul Ruis?)(the guy with the cigarette always) recommends pissing on your callouses in the shower.
    Certainly has toughened up the callouses on my FEET!
    ;)
    !
    "Power don't come from a badge or a gun. Power comes from lying. Lying big and gettin' the whole damn world to play along with you. Once you've got everybody agreeing with what they know in their hearts ain't true, you've got 'em by the balls."
    Senator Roark - Sin City