Thread: My Old Jazzmaster

My Old Jazzmaster

I've been going scan crazy after going through old photos last night. I found one of my old Jazzmaster with my band mate playing it. I never had any idea what year it was as I never concerned myself with details like that until recently.

After examining the pic (below) and doing a little research it would appear that this one would have been a post 67 (bar inlays)? The headstock decal might suggest of 70's? Any other clues as to the year of this guitar?

I'm bummed that I didn't hang on to it but even then it wasn't my main guitar. The bridge had bad rattles and I would put paper underneath the bridge screws plus the strings would pop out of the nut on occasion not to mention its low output noisey pups. The thought of taking it in for a set up never occured to me then LOL! That piece of junk is probably worth over a grand now huh?

Forum Member
    Looking at the picture it sounds fine to me

Originally posted by Bob Onit
    Looking at the picture it sounds fine to me
    LOL! Yea, well the body wasn't too bad. :tw59
    Last edited by Gtrplyr; 01-17-2004 at 01:09 PM.

Old Tele man
    Last edited by Old Tele man; 10-16-2004 at 09:40 AM.

Forum Member

Re: My Old Jazzmaster

the block inlays showed up in the 65-68 time frame. They were often bound and the decal on the headstock shows its most likely that time frame. The earlier ones, like 62 repros, had the spaghetti type Fender Script logo. Mine is a bit of a hybrid. Bound and blocks, but with a matching headstock, and a Bigsby from the Custom shopt.
    http://www.wizardsofaz.com/guitars/jazzmaster1.html

Well if the Jazzmaster I had was a '65 - '68 which it very well could have been I will just kick myself a little harder next time when I think that I got rid of it for a few hundred dollars. But who knew the prices would go crazy on these guitars?

Forum Member

your story reminds me of my old Jag-similar low out put, slipping strings, etc. still have nostalgia for my first real, good quality guitar, and they did have a wonderfully comfortable ergonomic shape for aplayer and looked cool too-would i buy a vintage jag at vintage price-no-its still a Jag, even if currently hip -do i wish i hadnt sold my jag-welll kinda-i had to to buy my first les paul.....(undoubtedly, even in the hands of a then fifteen year old, a better guitar by miles)-remember when you sold it you knew it was the right call-me too-Jimi had proclaimed surf music was GONE....i believed it (silly me)

do i think highly of a good jazzmaster pick up (why yes i do, so long as they're in my tele body with a strat neck with no issues-jmasters are really quite wonderful sounding guitars-

spilt milk and all that, move on

do what us really mentally healthy people do

keep buying guitars to replace the one that 'got away' or you 'always wanted as a kid' , or just 'looks cool', or 'feels great', or is something you 'need to add', will inspire you to practice more, or will be worth more later or.................

i believe a good japanese j-master may be sending you psychic messages.........and it seems I recall seeeing that someone actually does a repro of the block inlay jazzmaster as a production model -fender or squire or something....

Forum Member

She's lovely...much as my Oly White MIJ is a honey, the sunburst with blocks is simply stunning. Thank you for sharing.

And Steve, you said it so well, acquire to replace, to get you've always wanted, what feels great, sounds great...most of us can buy stuff for many decades for what a week in intensive care costs.

Ride those songs, and enjoy every second of it.

Peace, Bros and Sisters, from the real hometown of the real Jake Blues, :blbros make music, not hate.

Da heck wit the olde Jazzmaster...What's the stats on the old bandmate?!

Quote Originally Posted by FenderBoy
    Da heck wit the olde Jazzmaster...What's the stats on the old bandmate?!
    :lol It's actually a little strange that after being fairly close through many years we finally lost touch after she refused to keep me on her band mailing list when she found out my move to SF was looking permanent.

She said since I probably wouldn't be attending her gigs why should she waste the postage? . Oh well. She's probably still kicking around LA. She's a good singer/front person and had landed some small record deal awhile ago.

I'll let ya know if I see her around..................

;)

Cool geetar by the way.

:)