Thread: Trem Springs

Trem Springs

For those who use the trem, how many springs do you prefer? I use .011's and have 3 springs in the first, third and fifth positions. How about you?

.010's with 3 springs and the bridge flat to the body so it doesn't move for about a step and a half bend, but I can still use the trem if I want to.

I float at 1/8" and use 9's.. with FIVE springs...
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

Forum Member
    He used to cut the grass...But now his mind is totally destroyed by music.
    I use 5 springs, whether I float the bridge or not. It seems to give a more stable tuning, and i don't break strings anyway, so that's not a problem.

I use .011's and 4 springs adjusted with just the slightest bit of float. I like to have the ability to pull sharp just a bit for Bigsby type vibrato on chords.

Same as DON. Used to float, then noticed I didn't ever pull up on the bar. Keep the bridge flat, then turn another 1/4 on the claw. If I break a string, the other aren't going anywhere.
    "Power don't come from a badge or a gun. Power comes from lying. Lying big and gettin' the whole damn world to play along with you. Once you've got everybody agreeing with what they know in their hearts ain't true, you've got 'em by the balls."
    Senator Roark - Sin City

5 Springs, claw tightened, bridge on the deck, Flatwound 12-52's. I don't even have the trem bar in the guitar.

Chet

I have the trem set about a 1/8 inch off the body and have 5 springs installed and strung up with .011's:yes

I float it too, about 1/8th of an inch or so. I like being able to pull it up as well (for a nice Bigsby type shimmer or a full out Blackmore-esque assault). I used to use a tremsetter in one of my Strats but just couldn't get used to the feel of it so I removed it.
    One Strat has the five springs with the claw all the way in and no bar at all, I use it when I'm in a "no bar" mood.
    I use .011's on all my Strats, but I change the G from a .018 to a .017 as I find they intonate a little bit easier. At one point a few years back I did the .012's but it's just easier to find sets of .011's.

Forum Member
    I use 4 springs with a space in the middle and use .009-.042 string guage. The 4 springs seem to keep keep in tune better and I also setup the bridge to Fender Specs.

3, or 4.....Claw screwed in fully.....Trem plate flat against body.... Can't stand trems.....In 40 years of playing full time I never could get the hang of using the buggers properly and I can't stand the tuning instability, especially playing pedal steel bends.
    I find that by using less springs and by stretching the hell out of the ones in there, they act as a sort of spring reverb.
    Perhaps it's my imagination that thinks it makes a difference, but I can hear the pingy ring acousticaly.
    Phil.
    Last edited by phil47uk; 01-28-2004 at 02:44 PM.