Thread: 'Curly' Brazilian rosewood

'Curly' Brazilian rosewood

I'd like to get some information regarding what I've heard referred to as "curly" brazilian r/w - this variation has reddish swirl patterns throughout the grain (I have some pics but am unable to post them), as opposed to what I'm guessing is standard (non-streaked) braz r/w which looks very similar to Indian r/w in color but is tighter grained. Although in my limited experience it seems to be rarer, I know that some of the early '03 Historic LP's sported this 'curly' variation. Aesthetic considerations aside, would there be any advantage to using 'curly' over 'standard'? Is it indeed a rare variant of Braz r/w, or no? Would it indicate an older wood, or is it just as likely to be harvested today in similar quantities in comparison to non-streaked braz r/w as in years past?

Thanks in advance for any information...

Last edited by LightninBoy; 01-13-2004 at 12:11 PM.
    "The lord will take two things so much alike that he would not mind choosing from them blindfold - and then for a great jest he will allow the slaves to choose."

Forum Member
    He used to cut the grass...But now his mind is totally destroyed by music.

Re: 'Curly' Brazilian rosewood

Originally posted by LightninBoy
    Is it indeed a rare variant of Braz r/w, or no? Would it indicate an older wood, or is it just as likely to be harvested today in similar quantities in comparison to non-streaked braz r/w as in years past?

Thanks in advance for any information...

Rosewood varies greatly in grain, texture and color. Rosewood may even contain large sections the color of maple. Brazilian rosewood is supposed to be on the endangered species list, and therefore illegal to harvest. So, all Brazilian rosewood should be from old stock, and even old furniture has been sawn and used. This is why we see so much Indian rosewood, and other types of woods. I would not doubt that new wood is being cut and sold today, but please avoid those unscrupulous persons.

TFF Stage Crew
    Reportedly, the new "curly" Brazilian rosewood is from the stumps of previously harvested trees. Some at the LPF have dubbed it "stumpwood".

Thanks for the post Sven.

I've heard this too Robert, but from what I saw and read in Lily's post from way back, her Lentz braz fingerboard had a beautiful curly grain to it, and it was from some 40 year old stock (based on what I read in the post). Not trying to start a pissing match or anything mind you. It probably isn't even that big of a deal, but my interest is piqued and I'd like to get some more info about it if possible...

:)
    "The lord will take two things so much alike that he would not mind choosing from them blindfold - and then for a great jest he will allow the slaves to choose."