Thread: Recording quality

Recording quality

This question has puzzled me for such a long time...

I've heard recordings from the 30s by early blues musicians such as Robert Johnson and, while it is still possible to hear the music, the quality is always poor. There is background noise, crackling from the original records the songs came from, and other interruptions.

However, Beethoven and Bach and other classical composers were around hundreds of years ago. When I hear any of their recordings, they're always near-perfect soundwise.

So what gives? Did they have MP3 players back in those days?
    i bet this really annoy's you if your a grammar freak.

I think that the recordings of music written by Bach and Beethoven that you may be referring to were, although written by the greats, usually performed fairly recently by groups such as The Boston Symphony Orchestra, The London Philharmonic, etc.... I don't know how many actual recordings (if any) you may find of Beethoven, Bach, Greig. Beethoven died in 1827, long before the science was developed. The music is loved, although performed and recorded by others more recent.

The Classical composers were always on the cutting edge of technology. I believe they were the first to fully embrace digital record. By the time the 20s rolled around, there was an underground trend that was interested in exploring more primative recording methods.:tw59

I think we've just been Punk'd online.
    Knowledge is the small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify. -- Ambrose Bierce

Bach had something like 8 ADAT machines going at once. That and the greatest collection of medieval mics I've ever seen.
    "Power don't come from a badge or a gun. Power comes from lying. Lying big and gettin' the whole damn world to play along with you. Once you've got everybody agreeing with what they know in their hearts ain't true, you've got 'em by the balls."
    Senator Roark - Sin City

You guys crack me up...
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

Re: Recording quality

Originally posted by Power_13
    This question has puzzled me for such a long time...

I've heard recordings from the 30s by early blues musicians such as Robert Johnson and, while it is still possible to hear the music, the quality is always poor. There is background noise, crackling from the original records the songs came from, and other interruptions.

However, Beethoven and Bach and other classical composers were around hundreds of years ago. When I hear any of their recordings, they're always near-perfect soundwise.

So what gives? Did they have MP3 players back in those days?

You'd also have to realize that if the large orchestra's were recorded they would have been in perfect sound halls with designed acoustics. Alan Lomax and W.C Handy were using direct to wax machines in a motel room or bathroom hanging a Mic from the ceiling. I'm sure there was a lot of background noise to contend with that couldn't be "flushed" out in any way. I'd also suspect that the wax had lots of opportunity to distort before vinyl pressing actually took place.

Interestingly, I was messing with recording that same way myself just the other day, hanging a mic from the lamp and playing, and I had to do a lot of filtering to get rid of background noise.
    Last edited by lyles; 01-12-2004 at 04:26 PM.
    DAMMIT !!!! I left the house........

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman
    Man says;
    "Did you hear Beethoven's latest recording?"

Other man says;
    "No"

Man says;
    "Neither did he!!!...bwa ha haa ha haa"
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

Originally posted by MIKEH
    I think we've just been Punk'd online.
    Embrace the younguns, and handle them with kid gloves.

Originally posted by grito
    Bach had something like 8 ADAT machines going at once. That and the greatest collection of medieval mics I've ever seen.
    :lolspin :lol :LC :rofl :lol :lol