Thread: What to look for...

Forum Member

What to look for...

I've felt somewhat ashamed in my knowledge of effect pedals and the like. I began playing 10 years ago, but 90% has been in the last year after one of those guitar revival phases. Now that I dedicate more time to it, I realize that all knowledge of guitar sound died in high school when I stopped playing in jazz ensembles and smoked pot instead. So I don't know what to look for to get the sound I want.
    I bought Kinman pups (Woodstock plus) and I want to purchase an OD pedal (fulldrive 2 I'm thinking) but from there I'm not sure. Basically, I think I want compression, but I'm not familiar enough with the sound to know if it's what I'm looking for. Maybe chorus or delay are what I'm looking for and I just haven't personally played with them enough to know the capabilities.
    Tell me what kind of effects are used to produce classic sounds of Clapton or Gilmoure. Furthurmore, what types of effects would produce a sound like Brian May's, a sound that I particularily love.
    I know that much more than just effects produce good sound as exhibited by the above, but if you could make one or two purchases in the next year, what then...?

Forum Member

and..

For an OD unit... subjective, yes, but what do you think and WHY.
    BD-2 vs TS-x
    Fulldrive 2 vs BD-2

Blue-
    What I suggest (again, I know) is that you try and make it down to your local music store where you can try out various pedals. The big stores like GC and Sam Ash probably have about 50 pedals or so to try out. Buy the pedal that sounds best to your ears.

Sorry I can't help you on the pedal comparisons. What do I know, I got an old Rat and a Boss.:)