Thread: Guitar to Amp??

Forum Member

Guitar to Amp??

This may not be the right place to post, but what is anyone using to hookup that they are really satisfied with?

Forum Member
    Conveniently located between New York and Miami
    Not to be a smart@ss, but, I've found that a cord works better than a tuna fish sandwich. I'm not sure what you're askin' here?

Forum Member
    Planet Waves, Monster, George l, etc??

Planet Waves and George L's do me fine.
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained as stupidity"

George L's all the way for me.

I have been using the same exact cheap cables for the past 15 years. I have gigged with them heavily, jammed, and so on. I'm at a loss as to how people go through guitar cables, and I personally haven't heard the difference in these $80 cables either. Maybe I'm just old.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

I'm about to buy a vat of guitar cords from Musician's Friend for $2.99ea.

I have never noticed a difference.
    If You Choose To Criticize...
    You Choose Your Enemies!

Forum Member
    Conveniently located between New York and Miami
    Originally posted by Tele-Bob
    I have been using the same exact cheap cables for the past 15 years. I have gigged with them heavily, jammed, and so on. I'm at a loss as to how people go through guitar cables, and I personally haven't heard the difference in these $80 cables either. Maybe I'm just old.
    Same here. Never even heard of George L or Planet Wave? But then again I pretty much go "guitar/cord/amp." I don't require "guitar/cord/effect/cord/effect/cord/. . . . ad nauseum. . . . /effect/cord/amp." It might make a difference there, I don't know.

I do, however, stand by my statement above that I bet a cord works better than a tuna fish sandwich. Wait a minute, I haven't tried a George L tuna fish sandwich, so I could be wrong about that too!:)

I just replced the cable that came with my 1988 Fender Strat plus when I bought it new.

I had noticed a slight loss in signal quality (muted highs) after almost 15 years of use. I'm using it for my tuner at my work bench.

I bought a cloth covered cable because they seem to tangle less.

I think it's a DiMarzio and was about $20.

I'll miss that cable more than I'll ever miss that Strat plus.

I love to hear discussions on cords. I don't know much about GeorgeL cords but I bet they are pretty expensive and probably not that much better. When it comes to a guitar to amp cord, you want to select the one with the lowest capacitance per foot. The higher the capacitance, the more bleed off of high frequencies. As Don's cable aged, the capacitance increased.

Oxygen free, waste of money. The only benefit to oxygen free stuff is that the wires won't turn black inside the insulation as fast.

Low resistance (i.e. really heavy gauge) also a waste of money. The guitar generates a really small signal and "sees" a very high impedence load at the amplifier. The added resistance of a smaller gauge cable is statistically insignificant when compared to the high impedence input of the amp.

Number of strands and that sort of thing also does not matter, at least with respect to signal quality. They probably coil easier and tangle less if they are made up of multiple small strands.

You want to select a cable with properly terminated ends (both signal and shield) with strain reliefs, quality jacks that have a high insertion lifetime, and a quality EMI sheild (usually a braid).

The rules completely change when selecting a speaker cable :)

I've used the cheap M.F. 2.99 cables also, the ones with the yellow plastic on the ends. They work. The only problem was the diameter is smaller and they tangle a lot.

They had a special on cloth-covered cables at GC for $5.00. They were about 25.00 regular. I grabbed a three. Very nice.

Also, it used to be that when I bought enough gear at GC they would send me a post card for a free cable. Every time I brought the card in, the guy would tell me the chord I'm suppose to get is too cheap, and would upgrade me to this fat cable with gold ends. I have two of them now, and they are 18' cables.

I never play more than 2' away from my amp or my computer. My room looks like a cable store. I just hang them all over and never use them.

They do sound better that those super cheap cords that they always package with cheap guitars. I have a couple of those cords too.
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

I've had "expensive" and £10 and £5 cables that broke easilly and have been repaired [keep breaking regularly] . I've also made various ones.

I still have old curly and straight cables and the "free" ones that come with a Squier or Pacifica,all of which [crappy moulded jobbies] cost less than £3 ,they don't break for years and I can detect little or no difference in sound,between them, in my simple home rig - there shouldn't be much difference in 6-10 ft cables anyway.-

although I don't think I'd recommend a moulded cable with a Vintage guitar through a huge Stack,onstage.

I use George L's in my pedalboard, and Monster. I heard a huge difference when I switched from Sprectraflex.

fezz parka
    I use the same Whirlwind cords that I've been using for 20 years. :yay

Forum Member
    Here, read this.
    04DEC05: Gone -- So long!

fezz parka
    Originally posted by Tele-Bob
    . Maybe I'm just old.
    Join the club! :yay

I'm with Tele-Bob. Mine don't usually last 15 years but I can't hear any difference between a moderately priced cable and the one alleged to be so much better.

Forum Member
    He used to cut the grass...But now his mind is totally destroyed by music.
    One of my favorite cables is an old Belden cable. Unfortunately, it has started making noise when you handle it, so I got some new ones, Premium Live Wires. I haven't used them yet, and I already had to exchange one, so I'll let you know.

Several years ago, Guitar Player magazine ( i think) actually did scientific tests on cables, and pronounced Carvin to be the best. I don't know if that is still true.

Forum Member
    All of the hype about premium cables is just a bunch of crap IMO. All of our guitar heroes played with cables that in today's world would be utter doodie, and their tones are the ones everyone is trying to copy. I just don't get the whole thing. Just give me some cable with good shielding and I'm fine.
    Last edited by dafack01; 01-13-2004 at 04:21 PM.

Forum Member
    So I can envision the little "Dumbass" character coming my way - I just bought a Monster Studio Pro 1000 cable. So, really, how much of a dumbass move was that - got it for about $80 used.

What a dumbass!
    Ayatollah of Dumbassollah

facebook: Stephen Doc Watson

I just buy a half decent 30' cable, and cut it up into shorter lengths ( usually about 10' is about right for me) as I need it.

I use these killer switchcraft jacks on the gtr end, they are spring loaded & short out as soon as you unplug, so you can leave your amp volume up & switch gtrs no problem:

Link

however, I make sure to melt some solder into the head of the spring device, because I've had them pop off & they're hard to find if they do :nelson

they also have a great built-in tension relief thingy.

brianGWN from the LPF introduced me to them!! thx brian
    Last edited by Bolero; 01-18-2004 at 10:16 AM.
    "evil men make you kill me,
    evil men make me kill you;
    even though we’re only families apart..."

I also think there is a lot of hype regarding premium cables, but I use George L's. I use the smaller gauge on my pedalboard and the larger gauge between guitar and pedalboard, and between the amp and pedalboard. What I like most about them is you can buy the cable by the foot and a supply of connectors and make up what you need on the spot. You also don't have to worry about strain relief at the connectors like other cables. If you ever have a problem, you just cut off a couple of inches and remake the connection. No soldering iron needed, just a good sharp blade to cut the cable ends.
    Knowledge is the small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify. -- Ambrose Bierce

I use George Ls, and here are some things people should know:

First, they aren't expensive. About $1 per foot for the cable, $4 for each connector. So a 15' cord will be about $24 with tax. Yes, that's more than a Rapco or Hosen, etc, but given that you can do a quick and good field repair, on stage, no soldering necessary, and that you can use the connectors with replacement cable if needed, it's a very good price.

Second, they do sound really good. No monster hype, just a really good sounding cable. I do notice less capacitance with them than with other cables, but how much difference depends on the length of cable and the guitar used. With single coils and more than 15' of cable, there is a big difference with the George Ls. If you use humbuckers, you might not notice much difference.

Third, for pedalboard use or rack use (I have a studio), they are the most cost effective cable available. Custom lengths? No problem. No soldering means that my time spent getting everything together is drastically reduced (time = money). And given the small diameter cables, I can bundle and route cables neatly, with no spaghetti, and provide slack here and there without adding a ton of bulk.

So, if you use no effects or just a few effects, the George Ls are a bit more expensive than "regular" cable, but not expensive, ala Monster and others. But if you have a pedalboard or a rack setup, they will save you money.

And you can buy in bulk and get further cost savings.

For those who gig regularly or are on the road, you can keep a small bag of connectors, some extra cable, a good coax cutter, and a small flat blade screwdriver, and do any repair needed in less than a minute. No soldering, no burned fingers. A godsend.
    Everyone sings about Memphis, but no one ever does anything about it.