Thread: Anyone else dig '70s Ampegs?

Anyone else dig '70s Ampegs?

I've had my '74 Ampeg VT-40 for about a year now and still digging it. Vintage 60 watts, 4-10" "poor man's Super Reverb" for only $299! With a Tele or Strat it sounds very Fendery, and with a LP type guitar, the mid-range will knock you out. Also love the groovy tone controls with huge range and the nifty switches.

Am I the only one...? :)
    The dang thing's painfully heavy, though!

I would love to have one of those. I'm a big fan of Mick Taylor-era Stones. The only one I've ever seen around here (north of San Francisco) was really beat to hell. I went home and thought about it and by the time I got back to the store it was gone. I wish Ampeg would start making them again, with more conventional tubes if possible.

I've been looking for a VT-40 for months now. Also for a V4 or V2 head. Keep a lookout for me. Some of my favorite tracks over the years have been recorded with them. I need to pick them up while the price is still right. Eventually the secret will get out and you what happens...$$$$$

I've still gotthe VT-22 I bought new in 1976. I finally converted it to run EL-34's for a lot less headroom and earlier compression.

Originally posted by Casey4s
    I've still gotthe VT-22 I bought new in 1976. I finally converted it to run EL-34's for a lot less headroom and earlier compression.
    That's interesting. So it was a good mod? Does enough clean Fender character remain?
    Where on the volume control does it break up?
    Is the mod basically just installing a jumper and rebiasing? Also, what EL34 tubes did you put in it?

I bought mine here in Sweden. Basically got Ampeg VT g.a.s. one day and found a private ad for that VT40 for only 3000kr, close to me and all, the very same day. Lucky, eh? It's in pretty good shape, the labels are wearing off very fast and one knob is missing, but otherwise its really nice. Serviced a couple of years ago (obviously by someone who knew his stuff -- it's got USA 6L6s in it).

Originally posted by Henrik

That's interesting. So it was a good mod? Does enough clean Fender character remain?
    Where on the volume control does it break up?
    Is the mod basically just installing a jumper and rebiasing? Also, what EL34 tubes did you put in it?

I bought mine here in Sweden. Basically got Ampeg VT g.a.s. one day and found a private ad for that VT40 for only 3000kr, close to me and all, the very same day. Lucky, eh? It's in pretty good shape, the labels are wearing off very fast and one knob is missing, but otherwise its really nice. Serviced a couple of years ago (obviously by someone who knew his stuff -- it's got USA 6L6s in it).

It was a jumper on the tube sockets and installing screen resistors. I also had to install a bias control pot.

I put a matched quad of JJ E34L's in it. With the original 7027A tubes ther was virtually no break-up even cranked to 10, and the volume was incredible. Now I strat to break -up around 6 or 7 and the overall volume is less. It still has a good clean up to the point where it starts to compress. The overall sound is more Marshall like as opposed to loud Fender like.

I was playing a friends V4B with a LP into a marshall 4x12 & it sounded very VERY nice.

wasn't insanely loud either, but I bet the humbuckers ( 57 classics?) helped get it dirty sooner. beautiful singing sustain & crunchy too. I think I only had it up around 4-5?

I wants me one too now :)