Thread: Question for the fingerpickers among us...PIMA or PAMI?

Question for the fingerpickers among us...PIMA or PAMI?

Ever since I started playing, I've noticed that a lot of instructional books teach the PIMA method (P=thumb, I=first finger, M=middle finger, A=ring finger). But I've always found it faster, easier and far more comfortable to play with the fingers the other way around...thumb on bass, ring finger on G, index finger on B and first finger on E.

I know I'm not the only one who plays like this, and I've even noticed on Martin acoustic guitar string packs that there's a photo of a guitar being played the way I do it. So who here prefers the PIMA, and who prefers PAMI?
    i bet this really annoy's you if your a grammar freak.

Forum Member
    I have always used my thumb to cover the "E" and "A" strings Pointer, middle and ring for the rest of them.. That is just what feels comfortable and natural.
    Last edited by Jammin Joel; 01-05-2004 at 08:46 AM.

I've always used my thumb for the alternating base on the E, A & D and the index, middle and ring fingers on the (D sometimes as necessary) G, B & E. I use my ring finger as a brace and for reference.

Works for me and allows for some intriquit fingering and speed.

Hammer on.........Blair

Forum Member
    He used to cut the grass...But now his mind is totally destroyed by music.
    The default fingering is P for bass, I for G string, M for B string, and A for high E string. That said, one should be able to use any combination of fingers and strings.

P.S. - Never anchor your hand with one of your fingers: It keeps you from moving your hand, AND it keeps your hand too close to the strings, and makes you bunch up your fingers like hooks.

All the above imply a classical, folk or modern fingerpicked style. You may or may not want to play blues or ragtime. If you do, you can temporarily forget the A (i.e. your ring finger), the whole idea of one finger per string and rules about where you can and cannot place your fourth finger/palm of your hand. You can brush multiple strings in styles like Robert Johnson and Lightnin' Hopkins. Your thumb can roam up to the G string in styles like Blind Blake and Blind Boy Fuller. Even if you don't want to play blues, there's a lot to be learned from watching the picking hand of a great blues fingerpicker up close (and plenty of opportunities these days with workshops and other events).

:)