Thread: We're on a roll.......and I'm convinced I know why.

We're on a roll.......and I'm convinced I know why.

Stage volume.

Let me repeat - stage volume. That is, MANAGABLE stage volume.

We've picked off a string of a half dozen outstanding gigs across two bands' personnel lately and the one common denominator is we've been really aware of our stage volume. That is, we've worked hard at keeping it under wraps.

Hell, one band hasn't even rehearsed in about two months and we're playing better than ever together. If I can offer one bit of advice to any performing band - it's to keep your stage volume as low as you can within reason. We've been very cognizant (sp?) of this lately and it helps every aspect of our playing - especially using dynamics for effect.

If you need ear plugs - yer playing too damn loud and there's a plethora of musicianship you're missing!
    Last edited by Telebluesfan; 01-24-2004 at 12:53 AM.

When I was still mixing, I would take an SPL meter with me and try to keep it at about 100-105 db from where I was sitting. Hard to do with real drums, but the new drummer had a Roland set. Much easier to hit that mark.
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

using dynamics for effect.
    What? What'zat you say sonny? eh? eh? eh?

Musicians don't acknowledge how "shot" their eardrums are. That's why God invented the "SOUNDMAN"!!!! everyone hear that?

"yes ma'am," they all said in unison.

Excessive volume is one of my major peeves! I hate it. There are a hundred arguments for getting loud during a gig, and all of them are really stupid.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

This is something of a pet peeve of mine also.
    Fuzz is proof God love us and wants us to be happy. - Franklin
    http://www.frankdenigris.com

There are a hundred arguments for getting loud during a gig, and all of them are really stupid.
    AMEN Basically musicians want every eye to be on them doing nothing but watching and adoring their every move and groove. Volume does that or makes everyone leave.

Our drummer claims he cannot hear himself while playing. In the middle of the entire trap set, he cannot hear himself play. (!)

So he wants a monitor so he can hear himself. Then he says he can't hear the lead guitar. So we pipe THAT into his mix. Then he wants himself turned up again... and on it goes, until his monitor is louder than the main PA & mixed all wonky. Blechhh.

He plays very loudly -- his background (like mine) is pre-monitor era garage band. The way I fugure it is: drums are loud. We amplify guitar & bass so they mix in, at a reasonable volume, to be heard over the banging of the drums. The drums, in most venues, do not need to be amplified. Yet drummers seem to think they're being left out if they are not amplified. Get real, drummers! You're louder than F-4s taking off! You do not need to be miked!

Our drummer goes into a massive play-like-crap funk if we're asked to turn down. We on guitars & bass LIKE to turn down; we're in front of those amps; we like to hear each other.

We finally got him to quit banging like crazy on "Sleep Walk" -- he now says it's to give our lead players room for their dynamics! Okay -- as long as he plays softly, we'll agree to any convoluted logic.
    Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't. -- Pete Seeger

That's just so funny. When I was still mixing, I'd get signals to turn someone up so I would nudge him up in the monitor, and then they would tell me to bring him down and I'd nudge it right back were it was. My job was to keep the band happy with the monitor mix. Then I could do anything I wanted with the main mix.
    Photoweborama

I don't need no stinkin' drums in my mix... just let me hear a touch of me with whomever's playing lead. The drums I hear just fine ('cause I'm standing right next to 'em). In fact, it's because I hear the drums I cain't hear nobody else.

I recall seeing Dan Hicks & His Hot Licks at Armadillo World Headquarters. Sid Page kept asking for his violin to be louder in the mix. The sound guy raised his level in the floor mix, but didn't increase him in the monitors. He kept asking for it to be louder & louder -- pretty soon, all you could hear was the violin... no vocals, no guitar, nothing but violin. But still he wanted it louder. The sound guy never caught on & the rest of the set was terrible.
    Last edited by VibroCount; 01-25-2004 at 05:48 PM.
    Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Forum Member
    Well doggone if I didn't sit in with TBF last night and yes, volume levels were moderate and the energy was still there.
    I had come from my band's acoustic gig and -since I planned ahead- had brought my MIM strat and Super Champ. The Super Champ was almost too loud at times. I don't use it that often and regret not having been able to dial in a better tone and volume. Hopefully, what I had was passable. Much courtesy was exhibited by all parties involved and a great time was had by all. See my post elsewhere.

I've never been paid for my mixing talents. I'm no pro, but even I know when someone in the band says crank me up; it's the monitors, not the mains. They can't hear much of the mains where they stand, so how could a band member accurately tell you to turn them up in the mains.

BTW, Dan Hicks is one of my heroes. That's why I write songs with such off the wall lyrics. Innocent Bystander is still my favorites.

Shunka, sounds like it was a good gig.

Maybe this will start a trend...comfortable volume levels....
    Photoweborama

Forum Member
    I have also noticed a minor trend, at least around here, for restaurant lounges to hire lighter/acoustic acts. I believe that the old style "lounge" act may be running out of steam (as their primary audience ages) and a lot of classic rock bands are too loud for a lounge.
    We feature two acous/electric guitars and electric bass, with a drummer soon to be added. We have been steadily moving out of the coffeehouses and into the same places that TBF books.
    Fortunately, modern techology can help you get an 'overdriven" sound, without being over loud.

We are now looking for more acoustic oriented venues now. Just to fill dates. We also had a talk about volume last night, man it's so hard to talk to musicians about thier playing......
    Fuzz is proof God love us and wants us to be happy. - Franklin
    http://www.frankdenigris.com

Originally posted by thebluesbarn
    man it's so hard to talk to musicians about thier playing......
    Do ya think?

I've gotten to an age where I really don't give a shit too much anymore if I offend anyone. It's one of the best benefits of being middle aged. The Saturday night gig (the shunka gig) was a prime example. Unbenownst to shunka, we had a marginal first set. Blend, balance and vocals were good - but our rhythm player was making a lot of mistakes. He's the brooding type when things don't go well - even (especially?) on stage. So after the first set I chastised him - telling him the true professional still smiles and puts on a good show even when things aren't going well. I'm sure it didn't sit well with him but by the time the 2nd and 3rd sets rolled around - he was much more into it and playing much better.

This even works well with Mrs. TBF - things I probably wouldn't have said 10 or 20 years ago now come flying off the cuff with abandon. It's starting to have an affect and I'm getting her whipped into shape!

("What's that dear? No - no dear. I said you're really hip and in great shape.")
    :whip

Really, aside from the aches, pains and the feelings of impending doom and death, this middle aged thing is pretty cool! :spin
    Last edited by Telebluesfan; 01-26-2004 at 07:13 AM.