Thread: Big Opportunity Crapped Out...

Forum Member

Big Opportunity Crapped Out...

Over the past few months, my band has been looked at by a few management agencies. Well, we got a very big opportunity last night to open for a band that had just been signed. The place was Coyote's. It's a huge Country nightclub in Louisville, KY. It's a really nice place with beer troughs everywhere and about 6 actual bar stations. The stage is huge with a drum riser so tall that I could get on it without a step ladder. The dance floor's big and crowded.

Well, we got there and met the headliners. They were a really nice bunch of guys. The guitar players just drooled over my gear. That was nice... The other nice opportunity was that these guys are on the road with Montgomery Gentry, a major Country act. The band is called "32 Below". They're billed as Country; but they're far from it. I call them "Young Country"; IOW, they're more like '70s Rock. They are being supported by Jim Beam. I guess that's why, after almost every tune, they'd toast they audience with shots...The second in line to the Jim Beam empire was to be there to watch them. We were hoping that this person would catch a glimpse of us as well and maybe be interested. After our set, I hoped they weren't...

They had hired a production company to handle all PA duties. A very large system with 3 mixers and about 20 poweramps. The 3 mixers were for Mains, Monitors, and 32 Below's wireless in-ear monitors.

Here's where it gets crappy. They did a sound check. Okay, that's fine. We do a sound check. 32 Below's drummer tells our drummer that he can use the drum in-ear monitor for his drums. This is very cool. Then the sound guy from the production company comes up and says, "Hey, yoiu can't use those, they're on a different channel." Now that made no sense at all to me; a different channel? Anyway, our sound check went okay. But, they waited so long to actualy let do the sound check that we could only check through the monitors. They had to open the doors and start letting guests in so we couldn't check through the Mains. We went to eat dinner and came back to do our set. We thought, "Let's start the song with some kind of instrumental like "Mystery Train" or something." That way they can get the Mains' levels EQed as well without really running into our real tunes.

Here's where it gets crappier. We started playing and found that we had absolutley NO monitors; nothing. After the first tune, we told the sound guy. He did a little of this and that and got some vocals through the monitors. Our drummer could only hear the lead singer's vocals as could the rest of us. If I waked away, I couldn't hear anything. The bassist's tone, through the monitors when it was finally there, sounded like nothing but a fart with different pitches. After our set, the headliner got up and sounded awesome. That really didn't suprise me though. We're the opening act. Also, the headliners had their own sound tech who travelled with them. That was a lesson learned.

We definitely paid some dues that night. Funny thing is that the headliners though we were really great as did everyone else. Their manager kept complimenting my playing. That was nice. When we talked to one of the wives of the headliners, she said that they went through the very same thing about a week ago...I guess that's one experience for the books...

We've often thought our performance sucked, based on what was coming through the monitors, or lack thereof, but had people out front would say we sounded great. A good sound engineer will pay as much attention to the monitor mix as the mains. Most of the good ones will move around the room as you play to see how the mix is working, including walking onto the stage to hear the monitors. It seems that you got stuck with a prima donna. Sorry for your unfortunate experience. Otherwise, it sounds like you had a good time.
    Knowledge is the small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify. -- Ambrose Bierce

Forum Member
    You're absolutely right! They will move around to make sure everything sounds right. This guy didn't...

I was also nursing a bad head cold...

Butch-
    I'm sure you guys played great and besides, they probably didn't want the opening band to be better than the headlining band if ya know what I mean.:tw59

Ps-Check your mail dude.:)

TFF Stage Crew
    Butch, IMO, it'll take more than a bad sound dude to keep the bigwigs from discovering your talent one day soon.

I know the feeling of frustration you describe, but I'll bet you guys did great.

Welcome to the big leagues. Opening acts always get crap for sound, like the previous post said the opener can't sound better than the headliner (though a lot of times they play better)

HI

Originally posted by Butch Snyder
    You're absolutely right! They will move around to make sure everything sounds right. This guy didn't...

I was also nursing a bad head cold...
    BUTCH i bet you smoked them anyways bro

2 yrs ago my ol band opened up for the classic allstars group this huge band of seasoned big hitters ....
    jerry corbetta keyboardist lead vocal sugarloaf (green eyed lady) mike pinerra guitars lead vocals (iron butterfly )(blues image) ride captain ride song etc
    bassist dennis nodafrom cannibal &the headhunters /three dog night ...
    drummer extrodanaire peter rivera lead singer/drummer from (rare earth) the first white member band sighned to motown
    great guys

but AGAIN WE OPENED UP THEM AND
    BAM
    their soundman tried to sabotage us we were their opening act

i pulled tricks out of the hat
    first the headliners wanted us to use their equiptment
    i didnt my drummer did my lead vocalist /rhythm guitarist did
    my bassist did
    me i rolled my 2 marshall 1/2 stacks a volume pedal/ pan pedal up on stage with me and the sound man is like nooo
    use their equipment
    i say no thanx

hemade us sound like shit at sound check
    ill get even
    NOW ITS TIME TO OPEN UP AND GO ON
    so as we start playin my drummer looks at
    me
    and says i cant hear the monitors
    then my singer says the same so i look at the bassist he is puzzled
    no monitors just blurrrrr

i go up to the drummer like its just casual and see a volume knob on his monitors AHHHH LMAO
    ITS TURNED WAY DOWN
    i go casually turn it up nice and loud HE WAS HAPPY

then i see the 3 monitors in front of us all have volume knobs
    so i make it like im walkin durin my guitar solo across stage and nicely turn up each monitor till its loud /clear

I WALK OVER TO MY SUPPOSED MIKED AMPS JUST TO HEAR THE MAINS ARE SHITTY
    lmao
    i stomp on my volume pedal pan the 2 marshall rigs in and BAM

friggin headliners soundman is stumped

we kicked ass in tha show
    BLEW THE ROOF OFF LITERALLY
    ALL ATTITUDE
    I KNEW THE HEADLINERS SOUNDCREW WAS GOIN TO DO US NO GOOD

MY BAND GAVE THE HEADLINERS A REAL RUN FOR THE MONEY BECAUSE I REVERTED BACK TO OLD SCHOOL TECHNOLOGY
    JUST CRANK THE AMPS AND PLAY AND VOCALS WERE DRY BUT WE ALL HARRMONIZED WELL AND FILLED IN THE BARE SPOTS THE SOUND MEN WERE SUPPOSED TO HELP US WITH

SCREW THE SOUND MEN I WANT
    MY SOUND FROM MY AMPS LMAO SO I DO WHA I WANT TO

after the show the sound guy is unhookin the miks from my rig and says man you got balls screwin with the mix i say youre a butcher you need a asswhippin jerk

he said we shouldnt sound better than the main act im like duh were on the stage now so big shit
    its our time to shine

you don kno it was funny
    i play dirty
    i can get in the cage with the dogs for sure im very sound concious
    i feel bad tha sound men of big acts sabotage openin acts sound
    i play dirty
    if i have to bring my oown pa i would im like that

i knew from early the mornin when we had sound check the dude was up to no good
    so i warned my band members i would casually take the ball in our court

we smoked the main band
    it was hilarious

hey i think if they can play dirty i will play dirty
    i just seem naieve outside till we start playin im always like that

first mike pinera great guitarist good friend he uses a twin i use 2 marshall half stacks

i dont like his sound its too small
    im not loud but i play full sounds

its like apples and oranges
    so i kno wha you went thru butch

just kick ass be you i kno you probably smoked the main act anyway bro

godbless
    sincerely
    BLUELOU
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS

Forum Member
    Is this THE butch snider.

CT.

Originally posted by CocoTone
    Is this THE butch snider.

CT.
    yup

It would seem he's somewhat lacking in credibility.

Forum Member
    Hey, did I ever tell you guys about the time I told everybody in the barracks that a J.Geils Band tape I was playing was my old band?
    Yeah, I guess when I was 20 my self-esteem couldn't wait for my chops to catch up.
    Kinda bone head, as I think on it now.

But I mean, who would have thought J.Geils would ever be heard of on the West coast?
    It seemed like a simple deception. I mean, I could play the stuff if somebody called me on ability.

Besides, everybody is so anonymous in barracks life.

I think being in recovery since '92 has shown me my grandious tendencies are a character flaw that could warn me of future, more dangerous dysfunctions, like drugging and drinking. And THOSE parts of the equation could take me out permanently!

If I knew then (1969) what I know now.

All that to say this:
    Good luck with your aspirations Bruce. I genuinely hope you find what you're looking for.

This is a good start:
    http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/sh...threadid=65914

You might also want to check out this local thread:
    http://www.thefenderforum.com/forum/...&threadid=7740

As I see it, the problem isn't your post above: it's your credibility.
    What is the moral status of an honest man who lies once in a while?
    Since you never know when it may be to his advantage to be less than honest, we assume he's ALWAYS lying! Thems the breaks, even on the anonymous internet.
    Not "outing" you or moralizing, just sharing. I hope you will consider that most people give others the benefit of the doubt until we get found out different, then there's hurt, followed by anger.
    Nobody likes to be played for a fool.

Like I said, I wish I knew then what I know now.

Been there.
    -SteveYetter, Santa Cruz, CA-
    Last edited by Steve; 01-24-2004 at 05:28 PM.