Thread: Gigged my '74 Traynor last night

Gigged my '74 Traynor last night

HOLY CRAP! That little amp is sweet, first time I put it onstage. It's competing with a 3-piece horn section, un-miced! Had NO problem with volume, set the amp on about 7 and wailed. 20 tube watts are amazing. Amp is full of tone too. Makes my Peavey DB 2-10 sound thin. Reminds me a lot of the HRD 4-10 I sold because it was too heavy.

I'm in LOVE! Total cost to buy the amp, have it completely gone over by a tech and swap out the speaker was $442, including some Traynor vintage grill cloth off ebay to replace the home-stereo stuff someone put on. Guys buying the new YCV-20, pay attention here. This is a helluvalot more amp for the same money. Guys looking for DRRI's take a look too. Very similar amp, half the money.
    A friend in need is a good reason to screen your calls.

Old Tele man

re: "...how MUCH is ENUF?"

I once read that the average room (2500 cubic feet) needed only 15-20W power for the average listener...

Re: re: "...how MUCH is ENUF?"

Originally posted by Old Tele man
    I once read that the average room (2500 cubic feet) needed only 15-20W power for the average listener...
    Don't know if you've ever seen this or not. I keep it on my favorites list as a reference tool. Veyr interesting!http://www.amptone.com/g112.htm
    A friend in need is a good reason to screen your calls.

Old Tele man

re: "...amptone..."

good "simplification" but not totally accurate -- notice his assumption of 'linear distortion rate' -- unfortunately, the human ear is VERY non-linear (hence the Fletcher-Muson loudness contours), and perceived sound levels (ie: Sound Pressure Levels (SPL)) are very frequency dependent. With guitars you only have worry about the spectrum between 82Hz (E6 string) and 6.6KHz (E1 string x 20 harmonics).

BTW that info comes from Figure 45 and Figure 46, page 11-39 of RADIO ENGINEERING Handbook, by Keith Henney, 5th Ed., 1959, McGraw-Hill Publications.
    Last edited by Old Tele man; 01-01-2004 at 01:23 PM.