Thread: Attention all Peavey classic 50 Users...

Forum Member

Attention all Peavey classic 50 Users...

I know you're out there even if you won't admit it.

Okay, here goes...

I'm trying to be one of the players who goes to gigs carrying only my guitar(s), cable , & amp. I'm really trying to get away from all the effects. No offense to the multi-effects users.

I'm doing mainly Jazz, Blues, and some Blues-based Classic Rock. Think anything from ZZ-Top to BB King to Allmans to Gary Moore to Steely Dan, etc... you get the gist.

I'm trying to dial in some good settings on both the clean and lead channels; without getting too high of gain. This amp won't do shredder gain anyway. I just want some good saturated raw tone with good sustain. Can you guys give me some hints?

BTW, I'm posting this over at the LP Forum also... :nelson

Thanks,
    Butch
    Last edited by Butch Snyder; 08-08-2002 at 10:07 AM.

Forum Member

Re: Attention all Peavey classic 50 Users...

Originally posted by Butch Snyder
    I know you're out there even if you won't admit it.

Okay, here goes...

I'm trying to be one of the players who goes to gigs carrying only my guitar(s), cable , & amp. I'm really trying to get away from all the effects. No offense to the multi-effects users.

I'm doing mainly Jazz, Blues, and some Blues-based Classic Rock. Think anything from ZZ-Top to BB King to Allmans to Gary Moore to Steely Dan, etc... you get the gist.

I'm trying to dial in some good settings on both the clean and lead channels; without getting too high of gain. This amp won't do shredder gain anyway. I just want some good saturated raw tone. Can you guys give me some hints?

BTW, I'm posting this over at the LP Forum also... :nelson

Thanks,
    Butch
    Butch Snyder, eh? I think that was the name of our Neighborhood Bully back in Sacramento (if it wasn't, it shoulda been). :bam :)

Butch,
    You and I have Jam potential; at least we seem to be coming from the same place, musically speaking. Right now, I'm real real gone on my '54 Fender WP Deluxe for this sound. The amp makes me sound like I know what I'm doing. :ty
    The Tweed swore itself to secrecy, but I caught it bending the fence with a solid-state next door, last Tuesday; them SS' never could keep a secret.
    Last edited by Preztone; 08-08-2002 at 10:00 AM.

Forum Member
    I use a Peavey Classic 50 4X10 as a back up to my back up. It's a damn good amp it you have the patience to tweak it properly. Don't give up and don't expect to use similar settings as if it were a Fender. The Classic 50 brings out the whiners who have no patience.

First off, I'd say forget the drive channel and get a Boss OD-1 or something like that. Carrying one pedal won't kill you. I've never been crazy about the drive channel. A bit too raw sounding.

Leave that sucker on the clean and take your time tweaking. It makes no sense to give you my settings because the settings always change from room to room.

It's the working man's Super Reverb. Have fun.

I used to have a PV Classic 50 and it is a great amp for the money. In fact I'll go so far to say that the whole Classic series that PV introduced is the best stuff they've done. I now own a Delta Blues 1-15.
    I used to dime the [it goes to '12' actually] Master and then bring up the clean volume to where I wanted it. The dirty channel benefits from maxing the Master, also. IMO, the output tubes are able to breathe a bit more with the Master all the way up. The Dirty channel has a master of it's own, anyway [the 'Post']. And if you haven't done it allready, a retube with JJ/Tesla tubes did wonders for my Delta Blues. Talk to Bob at eurotubes. He's a kooky kind of electronics dude, but he loves amps and he really knows the Classic series and will custom match up a set of tubes for you if you tell him what you want. His prices and customer service are the best.
    http://www.eurotubes.com/index.htm
    Last edited by Taller; 08-09-2002 at 07:25 AM.

Forum Member
    Hey Taller,

I actually just retubed the amp with JJ's I bought from Eurotubes. :lol2

Bob's a great guy. I talked with him on the phone for probably a 1/2 an hour. He really helped nail down how I need my tubes to be configured.

-Butch:nelson

Forum Member
    Retubed my classic 30 with tubes from Eurotubes...Bob's great--tell him your equipment, the kind of rooms you play, and the tone your're after, and he's all over it...great service and great prices...

Forum Member

PeaveyTweaking

Hey Butch,
    Good to know there are also happy PV Classic 50 out there like myself!!
    The settings that seem to work for me would be everything set on 7 run with a Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive on optimum setting!!
    Works forme mate!!!
    You might also be interested toknow that I have replaced the pre-amp tubes with Electro Harmonix and the power tubes with Harma's, I also ripped the tolex off and put Fender Tweed on which I did myselfand aged it to look like a relic.
    And to finish off I popped two Jensen Alnico's in!!!
    SOUNDS GREAT NOW AND LOOKS AMAZING TOO!!
    GOOD LUCK BUTCH AND LET ME KNOW HOW YOU ARE GOING!!

Forum Member
    Hey Relic,

Thanks for the reply. Your C50 sounds really cool. I'm thinking about taking the (4) 10's out and replacing them with (1) 15" speaker. Since my Tele is my main instrument, I have heard that 15" speaker are really for Teles.:bigal

Cheers,
    Butch:nelson

Forum Member
    Hey Butch, putting in the 15" speaker would be recreating what Peavey used to sell as the Blues Classic. I heard one of those once and it was great. Strat played through it, I think 15" speakers and Fender single coils are a wicked combo.

Forum Member

Very Cool.

I think I'll start shopping around for a 15" speaker. Anyone got any suggestions?

Forum Member

Suitable Speakers

Hey Butch,
    If you are hunting around for speakers I've heard that 'TONE TUBBIES' are about the best there is, only thing is they're really quite expensive!!!!
    If budget wont stretch then try some re-issue Jensen Alnico's or for a bit more check out the Weber range of speakers!!
    HAPPY NOODLING !!

Forum Member
    Actually, I have been told that 15's can be kind of slow; especially if you're a quick picker. Well, I need all the help I can get.

I'm thinking about just trading my Classic 50/410 on a 212 model. What do y'all think?
    Last edited by Butch Snyder; 11-15-2002 at 11:41 AM.

Look around for a Classic 1-15" extension cabinet. I found one used at a local store for $225. The combination of the 4-10's in the amp with the 1-15 in the extension cab should make for a sweet sounding 'stack'. I've been running my Vox Pathfinder through the 1-15" and it sounds mucho cool!

Forum Member
    The 1x15" ext cab, I believe Peavey called that one the E115, sounds like a really cool idea.

Thanks,
    Butch:nelson

Forum Member
    Butch!

I'm a PROUD Peavey Classic 30 owner, and I gotta say, it's been quite fun since I've got it. Tone Tone Tone! as far as I'm concerned. I put a Celestion Vintage 30 in mine ( it's a 1x12 which you probably know) and it's a winner! I picked this over alot of the Fenders I could have easily gotten. It just sounds better and is better on the wallet and lower back!

In contrast, back in my busy days in the 70's, I bought a new Peavey Deuce II, an early hybryd. More power than you'd know what to do with and all the tone of a Policemans BULL HORN. I swore I'd never get another Peavey again, but they must have wised up! Dollar for dollar the best amp I've owned. If I get to playin out again, I'd shell out for a Classic 50 in a heartbeat. I think I'd pull the V30 out of this and match it up with the other one I have though, in some homemade cab. I like the sound of 12" speakers.

I found that as far as settings go for me, I stay in the clean channel, and just PUSH it! Settings at 5/7/8, and tweak it from there.
    '62 Vintage Reissue Startocaster -
    circa 1985 - USA!

"She's just about to to graduate Highschool"!