Thread: Last Minute NY Gig

Last Minute NY Gig

wow, talk about getting a last minute gig but a call just came in now to fill a slot on a New Years Eve bill so it looks like I'll be playing tommorow night after all

Have to bring Tele-Bob's old '73 Strat along and break it in with the band.

Have a blast! I'm starting to get rammped up for mine tonight......
    Fuzz is proof God love us and wants us to be happy. - Franklin
    http://www.frankdenigris.com

Holy Crap! I thought "NY" meant New York!
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Forum Member
    Looking forward to tonight...we got a nice gig about five minutes from my house. Good meal and good pay, and all we have to do is show up. We now hire out sound, to a very good friend with a reputable company, and we pay another guy to set up stage gear. Gettin' spoiled!

It's a bit of a drag now that I've come down with a nasty cold. I slept in this morning and called in sick today so I should have enough energy to play 1 set. I spoke to the rest of the band and they let me off of humping the gear at least. Even being sick I manged to get in a 1/2 hour playing time on the '73 Strat LOL! I couldn't resiust picking it up and playing.

The show must go on! Hope everyone else has a fun and safe one tonight!

Have a great gig tonight. We'll expect a full report in the morning.

Forum Member
    Gtrplyr, our keyboard player is fighting the same thing...we just gotta get him through the gig.
    Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Gig Report

Yes, we played on the exotic Bay Area island of Alameda to a modest sized crowd at an old roadhouse. With this cold/flu thing though I felt like the living dead. I hate it when good drink tickets only get used for bottled water lol!

So I brought the Strat along and used it on a handful of songs leaving the remainder for my LP. That's a pretty drastic changover for volume and tone as I suspected it would be and I never had a chance to dial the Strat in with my amp (71 Vibrolux) but these are a few of my observations.

First tune I used it on was a nice slow ballad that I play arpeggiated chords thoughout. Decided to use pup postion 2 to take the edge off that Strat bite. In the opening bars I could hear it pretty good though it was thin but then when the band got to full steam I was buried. I have a MXR micro-amp pedal for those pinches or solos but not even that brought me comfortably back into the mix.

Next song I gave the amp a one number volume increase which helped a lot but the volume also brought a shrillness as well. Could have used an amp tone tweak but I just didn't have the time. Kept the guitar in pup position 2 but managed to knock it into pos. 1 more than once. :rolleyes:

I played the Strat on a few more tunes and used a Boss Blues Driver pedal for a harder driving tune which worked out well.

So it was a bit of an experiment and it turned out pretty good for the most part but I don't know if the Strat is the right guitar for this particular band in a live situation. I LOVE the Strat though and it plays amazing and has amazing tone but it can indeed be a bit thin with a live band mix.

I did get a compiment from another player who said both my guitars sounded great and that i got a cool *Country sound* from the Strat. Hmm... not exactly what I was going for but I'll take the compiment! :tw59

New Years Eve Gig

##
    Last edited by Gtrplyr; 01-02-2004 at 09:11 AM.

Gtrplyr, I cannot play a humbucker equipped guitar and a Strat through the same amp without doing some serious tweaking for each guitar.

When I play my Heritage (humbuckers) through my amp, the bright switch is on and the treble is up a bit. If I plug my Strat in and use the same settings, my volume is only about 2/3 of what is was with the Heritage and the tone is quite thin and brittle. I have to turn off the "bright switch" knock down the treble, and boost the mids and bass for the Strat. Then it comes in full.

I just didn't have the time to tweak the amp settings other than the volume. It was probably not a good idea to have just went in cold to gig with a different guitar I never played through the amp.

It was a great idea! Jump in, plug in, and burn the place down!

Originally posted by Tele-Bob
    It was a great idea! Jump in, plug in, and burn the place down!
    I was so sick that day that I could barely drag myself out of bed for the show so I wasn't exactly ready to burn the place down. I did plug in and didn't fall over though lol!