Thread: Bass and picks

Bass and picks

I can't seem to play bass in my fingers, but I noticed at the jam that Cliff used a pick

What kind of pick do you use to play bass, and are there technique tricks to getting it right?
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

fezz parka
    I mostly use my fingers, but when I use a pick, it's the same one I use when I use a pick on the guitar. (I use medium Steve Zook Speedpicks.)

The key to using a pick is muting with the heel of your picking hand. It softens the attack from the pick, giving it a more "finger-like" quality to the note.

Originally posted by fezz parka
    The key to using a pick is muting with the heel of your picking hand. It softens the attack from the pick, giving it a more "finger-like" quality to the note.
    Ah, now I understand.
    Photoweborama

Old Tele man

re: "...picking a bass with a pick..."

the technique is called "palm muting"...and, you can control the amount of "damping" by the amount of palm-contact and pressure upon the string(s). I sorta "roll" my palm back-n-forth to do this...
    Last edited by Old Tele man; 12-24-2003 at 11:03 AM.

TFF Stage Crew
    Felt picks also work well for the bass for those who choose not to use their fingers.

Forum Member

Re: Bass and picks

Originally posted by photoweborama
    I can't seem to play bass in my fingers, but I noticed at the jam that Cliff used a pick

What kind of pick do you use to play bass, and are there technique tricks to getting it right?
    Bass players who use picks tend to use very large, very thick ones, like .8mm or even 1mm.

Personally, I'd just keep at it with the fingers. You'll get it. One day you can't do it and the next day you suddenly can. After struggling with it for a long time, I suddenly had it overnight like that. I didn't have the touch, then I did.

I prefer using my fingers for a number of reasons, but mainly because they don't slip loose and fall on the floor.

This is a not-inconsiderable advantage.
    04DEC05: Gone -- So long!

both, it depends on the song and what tone i'm going for.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

I just have this problem that when I use my fingers, the index finger is in time, but the middle finger is not.

Sound ok when I do it, but when I play the tracks back, it's off...

With a pick, I seems to be ok.
    Photoweborama

it is cause you're a guitar player. practice makes perfect, take your time and the consistency of your other fingers will catch up.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member
    The problem is also not your intended pluck, but when your finger really does release. It sounds like that's part of what you're talking about. I think one thing that helped me was that I had brutal heavy strings that didn't deflect as much, like trying to play rubber bands. The lighter strings tended to hang up and deflect more off of the fingertips, giving a badly timed release.

Also, practice with a metronome all the time.

This is advice I should take myself, but don't. It will really help you in getting past nasty habits with misperceived timing.

What got me going finally was the feeling that I was playing percussion with my fingertips rather than guitar (if that makes any sense). That mental reorientation seemed to help hugely.
    04DEC05: Gone -- So long!

Hum... I'll try it, but I just don't play it enough to get it down....Playing bass is HARD.
    Photoweborama

Here's what I do...use the thumb, index, middle, and ring fingers for each string in rest or free strokes like a classical guitarist.
    For faster passages I rest my thumb on the middle pup and use my first two fingers...

-Kevin
    GAS: Gear Acquisition Syndrome
    TAS: Telecaster Acquisition Syndrome
    BAS: Bass Acquisition Syndrome
    ...but I don't have SAS: Stratocaster Acquisition Syndrome...not yet anyway...

Forum Member
    it is cause you're a guitar player. practice makes perfect, take your time and the consistency of your other fingers will catch up.
    exactly, use your first finger and your middle finger and it will come with practice and time.

I can't do this... I must be uncoordinated or something... It's driving me nuts...
    Photoweborama

Have you ever played classical guitar?? It's almost the same thing except the strings are farther apart and there are only four of them...

It takes practice -- that's all... I know 'cause I'm REstarting bass after many years and it gets confusing at times. And I'm a lefty who plays righty too...

-Kevin

Re: Bass and picks

Originally posted by photoweborama

I use my fingers, I use a pick, I use many picks... It varies from session to session and from song to song.

First of all, let no one tell you there's an incorrect way to pluck a bass string, otherwise pizzicato would not exist & we'd all be using a bow.

I prefer the tone of using my fingers, but I don't alway play bass often enough or long enough to keep my fingertips from falling apart after a couple hours playing time & I hate to bleed on my bass. So I sometimes will use a felt pick (as I was doing at the TFF Jam in Auburn). The tone is close to fingers, especially after the pick has broken in a little but before it turns mushy. I will use new crisp felt picks during our 4-hour rehearsals to break 'em in.

I just found a new rubbery thick pick -- softer than a Fender thin, but as hefty as a bigger felt pick. No breakin period & they seem to last much longer than a felt -- in fact I'm still working on my first one without any signs of mushiness yet. I got it off a rack on the front counter at Watermelon Music in Davis.

When I play "Baja" I crank on the Dano Echoplex simulator and use one of my thin but stiff guitar picks.

Anyone who dislikes using a pick on an electric bass has failed to appreciate the genius of Carol Kaye on bass.

The way to get your middle finger on time is to use it often enough to train it to do what you want it to... just like you spent hours, days, weeks, months, years, etc. on learning to play, you spend time teaching yourself new (to you) techniques. Practice, practice, practice.
    Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Old Tele man

re: Carol Kaye

re: "Anyone who dislikes using a pick on an electric bass has failed to appreciate the genius of Carol Kaye on bass."

True, true, true! Especially when you throw in the fact that she's been the bass player on probably 70-80% of the LA-sound hit songs!

Re: re: Carol Kaye

Originally posted by Old Tele man
    re: "Anyone who dislikes using a pick on an electric bass has failed to appreciate the genius of Carol Kaye on bass."

True, true, true! Especially when you throw in the fact that she's been the bass player on probably 70-80% of the LA-sound hit songs!
    Didn't she start life as a guitar player??

-Kevin

Here's an idea to help you with your finger timing technique.

Practice this constantly and quietly:

Curl your last two fingers a little bit (don't stress'em, just fold'em a little) and drum your first two fingers in time to a bass line.

Just hum it quietly or silently in your head and drum your two fingers on something. Do it until you begin to just move your two fingers in response to what you're hearing in your head.

Years ago and on more than one occassion, my g/f's would tell me my fingers danced in my sleep. I would drift off to sleep barely playing "air fingers" to a bass line in my head.

Having your fingers respond to the bass line your hearing is as important as string plucking technique.

Think about the bass line in Spencer Davis' "Give Me Some Lovin'" and tap out the bass part alternating your two fingers. Or if you really wanna get good, use three or more fingers like the Ox!

Like that!
    Last edited by doc540; 01-06-2004 at 09:53 PM.
    Ayatollah of Dumbassollah

facebook: Stephen Doc Watson

Forum Member

Re: Re: Bass and picks

Originally posted by VibroCount
    I use my fingers, I use a pick, I use many picks... It varies from session to session and from song to song.

First of all, let no one tell you there's an incorrect way to pluck a bass string, otherwise pizzicato would not exist & we'd all be using a bow.

I prefer the tone of using my fingers, but I don't alway play bass often enough or long enough to keep my fingertips from falling apart after a couple hours playing time & I hate to bleed on my bass. So I sometimes will use a felt pick (as I was doing at the TFF Jam in Auburn). The tone is close to fingers, especially after the pick has broken in a little but before it turns mushy. I will use new crisp felt picks during our 4-hour rehearsals to break 'em in.

I just found a new rubbery thick pick -- softer than a Fender thin, but as hefty as a bigger felt pick. No breakin period & they seem to last much longer than a felt -- in fact I'm still working on my first one without any signs of mushiness yet. I got it off a rack on the front counter at Watermelon Music in Davis.

When I play "Baja" I crank on the Dano Echoplex simulator and use one of my thin but stiff guitar picks.

Anyone who dislikes using a pick on an electric bass has failed to appreciate the genius of Carol Kaye on bass.

The way to get your middle finger on time is to use it often enough to train it to do what you want it to... just like you spent hours, days, weeks, months, years, etc. on learning to play, you spend time teaching yourself new (to you) techniques. Practice, practice, practice.
    You said it all! There is no set way etched in stone. Just do what is comfortable for you and Practice. It will come!
    DES

BASS PICK

I DUNNO
    I USE MY FINGERS MY THUMB ALOT AND VERY HEAVY THICKEST PICKS I JUST GOFOR THE GUSTO

ACTUALLY FOR ME WHEN I USE A HEAVY PICK I HARDLY EVEN USE IT IITS THE TIP ONLY AND THE FLESH OF MY THUMB PLUCKIN THE NOTE IF I USE A PIK

LOTS OF TIMES I FAN MY RIGHT HAND OVER THE MIDDLE PICKUP AREA ON MY JAZZ BASS AND I GIVE EACH FINGER A STRING TO WORK WITH
    THAS MY APPROACH
    THERE REALLY ISNT A WRONG WAY OR RIGHT WAY BUT I LIKE THE SOUND OF MY BARE THUMB AND FINGERTIPS OVER THE NECK WITH FLATWOUND STRINGS

ITS ALL UP TO THE PLAYER

SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS

Re: BASS PICK

Originally posted by BLUELOU
    I DUNNO
    I USE MY FINGERS MY THUMB ALOT AND VERY HEAVY THICKEST PICKS I JUST GOFOR THE GUSTO

ACTUALLY FOR ME WHEN I USE A HEAVY PICK I HARDLY EVEN USE IT IITS THE TIP ONLY AND THE FLESH OF MY THUMB PLUCKIN THE NOTE IF I USE A PIK

LOTS OF TIMES I FAN MY RIGHT HAND OVER THE MIDDLE PICKUP AREA ON MY JAZZ BASS AND I GIVE EACH FINGER A STRING TO WORK WITH
    THAS MY APPROACH
    THERE REALLY ISNT A WRONG WAY OR RIGHT WAY BUT I LIKE THE SOUND OF MY BARE THUMB AND FINGERTIPS OVER THE NECK WITH FLATWOUND STRINGS

ITS ALL UP TO THE PLAYER

SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    That is exactly how I do it too Lou!! Each finger to a string...except when slapping that is...

-Kevin

WILLIAMS

YEA IT WORKS FOR ME I DON NEED A PICK
    MY ORIGINAL ANCIENT JAZZ BASS IS MEANT FOR SOME SERIOUS PLAYIN SO I LEAVE THE COVERS ON IT AND REALLY FAN OUT MY HAND I PLAY A FEW WAYS IM NOT FUSSY WHA EVER I NEED TO DO TO GET THE JOB DONE WITHOUT SOUNDIN LIKE A GUITAR LEAD PLAYER

BASS IS BASS SO I THINK LIKE BASS BOTTOM END I LIKE JAZZ RUNS SO I USE MY FINGERS ALOT
    I GOT THA FROM MY DAD HE WAS INTO FREEFORM JAZZ PLAYIN ON THA OL BASS AND IT RUBBED OFF ONTO ME

WITH THE MID PUP COVER I CAN REST MY THUMB THERE AND FAN MY 4 OTHER FINGERS OUT TO EACH STRING INDIVIDUALLY AND GET AWAY WITH IT

MY OL BASS IS TOTALLY 100% STOCK EXCEPT FOR MY FLATWOUND STRINGS I BUY FOR HER...I LIKE FLATWOUNDS....

THEYRE SO POWERFUL ASK VIBROCOUNT HIS 61OR 62 RI WILL BLOW THE WALLS DOWN THESE BASSES COVEER THE BASSES
    LMAO

PICKS OR FINGER STYLE ITS UP TO THE PLAYERS AND THE SONGS ALSO TO EACH HIS OWN NO RIGHT WAY OR WRONG WAY TO PLAY

GOOD HEARIN FROM YOU KEVIN

SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS

Forum Member

RE: I played it

Blue Lou

I agree the lower you keep the bottom end the better,let the lead guitar breath. But! If I owned your bass I would remove all the Crome stuuf and play it to death. "Adaline" has all the edges worn off her pick ups and the finish on the neck is non-exsistant. I'm not much on collecting instruments . I enjoy playing them tooooooooo much! The worst thing sis' ever did was hang the fiddle grandfather made on the wall. Rest in peace, It's DEAD! We all have our own opinions (or nails).
    later Bro
    DES

Ok, I got some good stuff here to work on...

What really erks me is I'm playing a cheap rouge bass....

In 1980, I bought a 75 Jazz bass and traded if off for $150.00 in stomp boxes.... stupid..
    Photoweborama

Setup really becomes a factor on a less than topnotch bass, so you might wanna give some attention to neck adjustment, string height, and even string gauge.

It all adds up to help the playability.

good luck and keep us posted!

This is the first Bass I've setup, the neck has the right releif, and the string height is not too high, but proably higher than a really good bass.

I could change the strings... What to? I don't know anything about that stuff on a bass.
    Photoweborama

I always played with my fingers, but it took me years (YEARS) to learn to flutter those notes with my index and middle fingers a la Prestia. It just happened one day during rehearsal when we were fooling around with 'Mule,' but IIRC Woody played that song with a pick, hehe...

That cat played some amazing stuff with a pick. Blows me away every time I hear him because often I feel playing with a pick is in many ways harder than playing with fingers. But that could just be because fingerstyle is what I know best, dunno.

And I always get a laugh outta that 'Rising Low' documentary when Mike Watt talks about playing with the 'flipper.' :)
    "Wait, it's a trap. Get an axe."

webo, I probably didn't pay close attention, but exactly what bass are you playing?

If it takes the same strength length as a Fender Jazz, you might try RS66 Rotosounds in "medium light" gauge. They're my fav's.
    Seem to have decent tone and are pretty comfortable for roundwounds.

Gauges: 35, 55, 70, 90

Good luck and keep us posted.

It's basically the cheapest bass I could get. A Rouge SX100B.

Instrument wise, it's not bad, straight neck, decent action, not much buzz. Intonation was easy to set.

Maybe I just need new strings. How can you tell what gauge is the best for you? It's not like a guitar at $4.00 a pop. I need to make an educated guess on the strings.
    Photoweborama

Wow...what a deal! MFriend is selling them for less than a hundred bucks! Can't go wrong with that.

I don't know how to determine string gauge for a new player. I've gradually moved from standard to medium to medium light Roto's.

I'm probably lazy by now and comfy with med lights.

You might try a Roto medium gauge or med light to begin. When you get your chops and hand strength developed, try a thicker gauge.

Kind of a trial and error thing....but starting on a thick gauge string and getting burned could be a set back for a new player.
    I'd focus on comfort and playability before tone.

But that's just my opinion.

Keep us posted!

(did I say that)

OH, HELL YEAH...NO RULES, MAAAAAAAAN!!

I really think I may need to get a bass amp. Anyone have an extra one you want to either sell cheap, or loan me for a few months.

That would REALLY drive my wife nuts...
    Photoweborama

Originally posted by stonetone
    ... Woody played that song with a pick, hehe...

That cat played some amazing stuff with a pick. Blows me away every time I hear him because often I feel playing with a pick is in many ways harder than playing with fingers. But that could just be because fingerstyle is what I know best, dunno.

And I always get a laugh outta that 'Rising Low' documentary when Mike Watt talks about playing with the 'flipper.' :)
    The Bass Line in Mule absolutely pumps! Dave Schools does a nice job with a pick also. On the "Deepest End" DVD, George Porter Jr. plays Mule with his fingers. You can close your eyes and hear Woody.

The Mike Watt interviews are my favorites on "Rising Low". He's such a hippie - lol.

Long Live Joey Arkenstat!! ;)

BTW - I was at the NYE show at the Beacon Theater in NYC (actually, the 2nd NYE Mule show in a row for me), Andy Hess was a good choice to permanantly handle the Bass chores.
    Last edited by SRVDciple; 01-16-2004 at 04:26 PM.