Thread: Any good guitar playing&theory centered boards out there?

Forum Member

Any good guitar playing&theory centered boards out there?

I like what I'm reading here. And as I am getting fed up with gear talk... as it does take me anywhere (Have a good acoustic, and you are set to make music. No need to spend a zillion upgrading with all the latest hype. That's how I feel now. It's the music, not the gear. I need to grow as a player, not spend as a guitar collector)....

I'd like to ask you if you know any good forums for discussing blues/jazz/rock guitar *playing* not guitars. Mature discussion on music (& theory), not just "hey I have this new Ibanez Jem and it's the best guitar ever, especially the one in black, and Steve Vai plays it too, and he can play 100 notes a second, so he should know!".

Does something like that exist?
    Last edited by weelie; 12-15-2003 at 03:24 AM.

Old Tele man

re: ...theory & technique...

I haven't found one yet, just many different sites each with some good information, but not ONE single site with everything.

If you can't find what you want, maybe you could START a thread here on just Theory & Playing Techniques? There are many members here who've studied and know music theory -- I know Algernon (for one) is quite knowledgable.

Forum Member
    Thanks for the reply. I read you, I know, this is a good joint, with very knowledgable people. And of course there are a million sites that deal with theory and plenty of tabs around.

It's just that I thought that I seem to know all the Fender guitars related forums around, but have trouble finding playing centered forums. I thought maybe I'm missing something that everybody knows.

As for specific question, I have none currently. Reading others' questions and answers is, nevertheless, very enlightening.

Old Tele man

re: "...theory & techniques..."

Weelie -- IF you do decide to start a thread on "Theory & Playing Technique" count me in. I would volunteer to help, but I'm probably NOT as well qualified as some others here (ie: Algernon, etc.) because I'm totally self-studied and self-taught. And, I'm into jazz, not blues or rock-n-roll.

Also, although I've read and studied lots and LOTS of music theory (basic & jazz) books, I know very little about playing techniques, per se, as I get ALL my 'technique' learning by "watching" others play (Thank God! for the rewind button on video players).

Never-the-less, I'm certainly willing to contribute, what I can, if you guys / gals are willing to put-up with me and my "barn-yard humor!"

Forum Member
    Thanks again! I'll look into the links.

(BTW, I'm into swing blues, old jazz (pre-60s, let's say), old rockabilly, old funk&soul. But above I just wrote "blues/jazz/rock" to exclude the heavy metal stuff. I'm not into straight rock any more, and blues certainly does not equate with SRV in my book. Some of my all time faves: JJ Cale, James Brown, Mark Knopfler, Snooks Eaglin, Django Reinhardt, Blues Brothers band (Cropper AND Matt Murphy), Meters, H. Sumlin (Howlin Wolf), BB King, Billie Holiday, Fats Waller, Bix Beiderbecke, etc etc. It don't mean a thing if ain't got that swing!)

Old Tele man

re: ...old jazz (pre-60s, let's say)...

well, NOW you're talkin'.... because, if by "old jazz" you mean:

...the "old Standards": Misty, Satin Doll, Moonlight in Vermont, Nauges (Django's Castle), Caravan, Green Dolphin Street, Cherokee, Dream, Left my Heart in San Francisco, Giant Steps, Summertime, Moon Glow, Darn that Dream, Meet Mr. Callaghan, Canadian Sunset, etc...

and:

...the Bossa Novas from the mid-60's: One Note Samba, Wave, Desifinado, Dindi, Corcovado, Girl from Ipanema, Summer Samba, Fly Me to the Moon, etc...

...then, we're jazz-kin!

Take a look at www.wholenote.com you might find some useful info there.

Chet

Holy Crap Chet. Is that your picture in your avatar? We could be brothers! Last two times I called Warmoth they got us mixed up too. I see you have a little guitar habit as well.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

TFF Stage Crew

Re: re: ...old jazz (pre-60s, let's say)...

Originally posted by Old Tele man
    well, NOW you're talkin'.... because, if by "old jazz" you mean:

...the "old Standards": Misty, Satin Doll, Moonlight in Vermont, Nauges (Django's Castle), Caravan, Green Dolphin Street, Cherokee, Dream, Left my Heart in San Francisco, Giant Steps, Summertime, Moon Glow, Darn that Dream, Meet Mr. Callaghan, Canadian Sunset, etc...

and:

...the Bossa Novas from the mid-60's: One Note Samba, Wave, Desifinado, Dindi, Corcovado, Girl from Ipanema, Summer Samba, Fly Me to the Moon, etc...

...then, we're jazz-kin!
    You guys need to check out my radio show when the webcast gets up and running next year. You'll love it!

Originally posted by Tele-Bob
    Holy Crap Chet. Is that your picture in your avatar? We could be brothers! Last two times I called Warmoth they got us mixed up too. I see you have a little guitar habit as well.
    Yes Bob, that is me in the avatar. That picture was taken in Oct. of this year. Makes me wonder about the questions I had asked you in previous contacts.
    So, people are getting us confused huh? I have a serious little habit according to my friends and family.

Chet

Forum Member

This book will help you !!

*Post edited to remove spam.
    Last edited by OneL; 02-26-2004 at 12:05 PM.

Old Tele man

re: BOOGIEMAN GUITAR METHOD

aha! a music author amongst us!?!

Forum Member
    "Music stores, bookstores and internet music sites will find this the most useful method ever created. "

I like the self-confidence in your voice.

Chet, just drop a little more hair on the forehead and you're me dude! LOL! Just ask anyone from the Original TFF Jam last week in Auburn CA that I attended. We be makin' history!.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.