Thread: "The Strat" model?

"The Strat" model?

I played one of these a few years back and I remember liking it quite a bit. It had a different bridge system and knobs if I remember correctly. The bridge pickup was also different sounding. Anyone have any info on these? The one I played was something like chrome red I think. How much did they go for new? How much do they go for now? Anyone know where I can find one for sale? Technical specs anyone?
    Last edited by ShawnRT; 08-07-2002 at 06:07 AM.

EXTREMELY heavy, usually came in candy apple red or ice blue and some in a rosewood effect. Came from the factory with Fender brand "aftermarket" type brass hardware (which Fender sold separately for a while, trying to compete with Schecter etc.). Odd headstock shape, this was the first model Fender made since the 50's with a small headstock and they appeared to have forgotten what the shape was. Candy colours had matching headstocks.

Hey John,
    I don't remember the one I played being heavy, but it was a long time ago. The guitar belonged to a friend of mine and I remember liking the matching headstock and the brass hardware. Maybe my tastes have become a little bit more refined since then :tw59

I'd still like to try one out sometime. I really remember the bridge pickup sounding different than a stock strat. If anyone ever runs across one of these, let me know.
    Last edited by ShawnRT; 08-08-2002 at 06:08 AM.

Forum Member
    Hi there.
    i'm a lucky owner of a Lake Placid Blue "The Strat". They ar not extremly heavy. Headstock is painted i matching colour an has a trad. shape. Maple fretboard.
    The bridge pickup is called X-1 i think, and one of the tone control is a rotaryswitch, giving it 9 differnt pickup combinations (seriell/paralell).
    I own 8 strats, and i think "The Strat" is an outstanding guitar.
    They where produced in 1980-83 (i think) and was deluxe model.

Beppe

PS! The walnut strat from the same "collection" (and shown is link in earlier post IS heavy)
    Last edited by beppe1266; 08-12-2002 at 07:27 AM.

Hey beppe1266,
    Thanks for the info! I don't remember the one I played being heavy, but as I said, it was awhile ago. I remember that I liked the sound of the bridge pup, whereas I usually avoid that setting on a normal strat. Let me know if you ever decide to let yours go!

The Strat

I own a 1980 The STRAT. Lake Placid Blue, gold hardware. It is heavier than my other guitars, similar to a Les Paul in weight.

I really like the added tones with the selector switch. You get a secondary group with the bridge pup, then combination in series.

I hope to post some photos soon.

TL5,
    Thanks for the info, I'd love to see some pics!

yes the walnut strat is extremly heavy
    had the opportunity to play one of these guitars at a gig
    my shoulder and back felt that for awhile after that nite

the guy that owns the guitar now plays in the same band as i am in. i will try get a picture
    Last edited by lightningboy; 08-14-2002 at 08:51 PM.

Last edited by TL5; 09-29-2003 at 07:14 AM.

Thanks TL5! Thats exactly like the guitar I played, but his was red. Can you tell me more about the bridge pup and what makes it unique?

That's not my area of expertise. My understanding is that it is a limited edition Fender PUP called the "X1"

It was hotter than the pickups that were in previous Fender models. I don't know how they compare to newer PUPS. I have asked around, thinking i would put something similar in the bridge of my MIJ. No one has responded with any info.

The Stratocaster Book by Andre Duchossoir has a chart that lists the output of the particular fender PUPS.

Forum Member

Lake Placid Blue "The Strat"

I own one of these instruments. Purchased it new at a reduced pice in 1980 as Fender was about to go full production in japan at that time. The guitar is quite heavy with brass hardware. Mine has a maple neck. I always get comments on my sound when playing this guitar live. It is a joy to play. Something very solid about the feel with the heavier weight. The strange thing on mine is that it was wired normally, with one volume and 2 tone - no phase switch. I was always very happy with the sound of these pickups. It's strange to think that this guitar is almost 25 years old. Where does the time go...?

I've never played a "The Strat" model. Only saw one in a music store around '85. As for the X-1, my '82 MIA has one in the bridge position. I had to dig up the original cards that came with it to double check. One of these days I'll check it's resistance compared to the neck and middle. The sound: to my ears, more bite and output. Not a biting treble that kills dogs, but just more of a good tone. Now that I found the original paperwork, I better scan it into the hardrive. I also found the instruction sheet from my original Roger Mayer Fuzz Face! When he first started selling them, it was just the fuzz face. The instructions are almost cartoonish!

I have one too.
    Or should you say, the remains of one.

I bought it 87 at a pawnshop auction.
    It was repainted with purple metallic

In about 92-93 I got bored with the original mapleneck so I replaced it with a Warmoth neck.

I also "unpainted" (?) it and actually was successfull with getting the original metallic red colour back.
    But that wasn´t enough for me :p so I stripped down to the original nitro clearcoat.

I don´t remember how the X-1 was tonewise. Replaced it with:
    Hotrail, JBjr and now a Little 59.

It´s a HEAVY S.O.B. I think the value is totally ruined by me and the former owner(s?).
    But she sings and sounds good.
    She´s heavy, but hey you get more guitar to love then.

OK, Ok ok 1 more

I've picked up TL5's Strat and it is heavy but not uncomfortable. The pickup combinations sound great.

Since this has come back up..

I've changed ISP's so the earlier photo links are invalid.

try this one instead:
    http://home.bellsouth.net/coDataImag...ratCollage.jpg

As mentioned, heavy but not oppressive.

Originally posted by TL5
    Since this has come back up..

I've changed ISP's so the earlier photo links are invalid.

try this one instead:
    http://home.bellsouth.net/coDataImag...ratCollage.jpg

As mentioned, heavy but not oppressive.

Nice!!! :drl

Forum Member

Re: "The Strat" model?

Hey all,

I know this is an old thread, but I'm a newbie to the board and found this thread on a search. If I may chime in on this... :)

I have this "Strat" model. It came in Lake Placid Blue (as you've already seen ...nice example, BTW) and Candy Apple Red, what I own. I bought it new in 1980 and fell in love with it as soon as I saw it. Matching headstock with smaller shape and fabulous maple neck. Plays superbly. I don't understand the "weight" comment ...feels like a solid strat to me :)
    Plugged in, it is the most versatile Strat I've ever played. The 5-position switch functions normally, but the bottom knob is a two-way switch (the other knob is a master tone) that toggles four additional sounds:
    - bottom position: bridge pu only (same as normal)
    - 2nd from bottom: bridge and neck pups ...nice full sound with good bottom and bright presence. Almost "acoustic" in flavor.
    - middle pos: middle and neck pups in series ...thick and very humbucker like. Great for bluesy, fat mild overdrive.
    - 2nd from the top: all 3 pups in series ...really thick and kinda dark. Horrid overdriven, but nice when kept clean or barely clipping.
    - top pos: bridge and middle pups in series. Awesome clean, just breaking up, or fully overdriven. In the latter, it sounds very humbucker like and thick, a la Eddie VH through my Mesa Boogie. Great ooomph if you want to get down and dirty.

The brass hw is really cool, too. The bridge feels great and better to my hand when muting, IMHO. Forget the whammy bar though ...it really bites. I just bottomed mine out and forgot about it. I wonder why mine came with chrome tuners and plastic switch knob, though. I always felt like the factory shorted me here.
    BTW, as for tones, I have to mention that I had replaced my stock pups with Bartolinis over a decade ago, so I can't really comment on the orig tone. But I love mine!

Edward

Thanks for the link dude!
    Good info there.
    If, at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving.
    Two leaps per chasm is fatal!

Forum Member

Outstanding link. Thanks!

Edward

Forum Member

I recently sold a mint matching set, "The Strat" guitar and "Precision Special" bass, both in CAR.
    That strat was very playable, and very '80s sounding in a way, in that it excelled in the "out of phase" pickup combinations - no wonder Mark Knopfler used to play one extensively.

The headstock shape definitely looks a bit odd, but I remember at the time it was introduced, it seemed like a bit of fresh air, after over a decade of CBS-era shapes.

One distinctive feature was the sustain, probably because of the heavy brass bridge, and aside from CAR, LPB and a "deluxe" version in walnut, they also made very few of them in metallic white.

Forum Member

Does anyone have a ballpark as to what "The Strat" is worth in today's market? This is purely an academic question since I'm never getting rid of her --too much personal history with me :).
    I've tried to gauge the price but there are too few of them out there to get a bead. And ideas? ...surfreak??

BTW, anyone have any ideas of how to get the original gold tuners that came on this model ...if they're even available?

Edward

not much unfortumatly My best guess is around $500 on the high side
    heavy as an anchor.

Forum Member

My Strat was mint and, again, I sold it as a set with the Precision Special bass, however from what I have seen, an all original The Strat in CAR or LPB in excellent condition sells easily for $ 800-1,000.

An all original Walnut Strat in very near mint condition sold recently in NYC for $ 1,200 and that, considering that it is NYC and the guitar was very clean, was a really good deal.

Forum Member

Just a couple of days ago I bought The Strat in perfect condition, except ...
    it misses original pickups and electronics. Any chance to buy it, anywhere?

Thx

I want a "The Strat" real bad. I'll take all of them you can find at $500!

TFF Stage Crew

Finally got around to taking a few photos of mine. '81 Lake Placid Blue. The pickups are now some stack thing that are all split with push/push pots on each knob

The bridge... ugh. When it happened (Kahler locking trem added in '83) I was 15. Hopefully that explains it.

Oh yeah, the four holes under the bridge are where a Roland GK pickup interface was installed in '87.

No resale value, but my first electric guitar, so it has sentimental value.

Nice!!! Thanks for sharing.

I bought a Warmoth neck for mine.
    The nice original was later on "tested" on another guitarproject.

The guitarproject was then sold and a couple of years later I realized what I´ve done

The only thing that protects this sort of action is that it took some time and............

AaaaH! I´m an idiot!