Thread: jeff beck:jeff

jeff beck:jeff

anyone else heard jeff's latest album yet?

I'm just listening to it now.....totally not what I expected, but I think I like it. electronica with some real cool guitar playing.....

got to hand it to jeff for always trying out different musical directions.
    Last edited by Bolero; 12-12-2003 at 05:58 PM.
    "evil men make you kill me,
    evil men make me kill you;
    even though we’re only families apart..."

Although it hasn't yet finished growing on me, I like it a lot so far. It's amazing the different tones and accents he gets out of a guitar. Beck's albums cerrtainly aren't for everyone, but I think most guitarists will find this one particularly interesting.

I'll have to give it a listen.

I gave away my last JB cd. I just couldn't hang with the techno boogie.
    Ayatollah of Dumbassollah

facebook: Stephen Doc Watson

i don't think you'll like it, doc :)

he has this chick sampled in one tune, it's really annoying. the bits where he's just playing gtr I like, but the rap stuff doesn't do it for me.

and some of the stuff where they've digitally spliced it so it "skips" intentionally I don't care for either

but it definitely has it's moments......he sure gets a great gtr sound, & it's nice to hear him rip it up.

still it's too "reverby" for my tastes, like other recent stuff he's done too.....I like a dryer, more vintage sounding mix. digital reverb is way overused w/gtr these days.....IMO, it's gonna sound dated real quick.

I should add, Beck is a flippin' AMAZING gtr player; when he is actually playing his gtr on this, it kicks ass!!

just some of the other stuff I'm not big on :)

at least he's trying to stay fresh though, got to hand it to him.

he's the only great gtr player of his era to really embrace new playing techniques & keep trying to push the boundaries.

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman
    I agree with the fact that he is pushing the envelope, trying to stay 'fresh'. I also believe that he is one of the greatest living guitarists. I just find his last two releases un-listenable.
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

JEFF BECK

I LOVE HIS TONES AND STYLES HE EASILY IS SO FLEXIBLE AS A GUITARIST
    THE STUFF WITH JENNIFER BATTEN IS KILLER I HAD IT I LOST THE CD IN MY CAR I THINK KILLER SHIT '
    THA GIRL RIPS ON GUITAR

JEFF IS THE KING OF TONES HIS SENSE OF GUITAR TECHNIQUES IS AMAZING

HE TRIES EVERYTHING UNDER THE SUN HE IS A INNOVATOR AND ITS SOMETHIN TO THINK AT ALL THESE YRS HE HAS DONE SO MUCH KOOL STUFF
    YEA HIS MUSIC IS MORE FOR GUITARISTS MUSICIANS ETC ITS GEARED THA WAY HE STILL HAS ALOT OF TRICKS UP HIS SLEEVE IM SURE
    CONSIDERIN THE BAD CAR WRECK HE WAS IN A WHILE BACK AND ALL THE PROBLEMS OF TENNITIS HE STILL HAS THE UPPER HAND ON GUITAR

I GOT TO GET HIS NEWEST STUFF

I HAD THIS JB CD OF ELVIS LIKE ROCKABILLY STUFF IT WAS UNIQUE BUT ALREADY DONE
    I DONT THINK IT WAS SO ORIGINAL BECAUSE SCOTTY MOORE AND CARL PERKIJNS CHET ATKINS WERE DOIN AMAZIN GUITAR ANTICS BACK THEN WAY BACK THEN AND CHET STILL PUT A GREAT GUITAR LICKS TILL HE JUST PASSED AWAY
    THE CD IS CHET ATKINS READ MY LICKS GOOD STUFF ITS FUN

I RECCOMEND IT TO ANYONE WHO LIKES DIVERSIFIED STYLES OF ROCKABILLY COUNTRY AND BLUES ALL MIXED UP

JEFF SHOULD HAVE PLAYED ON IT WITH CHET ON ONE NUMBER IT REALLY WOULD HAVE BEEN THA MUCH BETTER

CHET HAD THE MAJIC TOUCH

I MISS HIM
    ONE OF MY BIGGEST INSPIRATIONS
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS

I think I read in an interview the next record is going to be retro. I hope so. His last several have been pretty much unlistenable. Guitar Shop had some stuff that was OK but the two after that were not what I'm looking for. Pushing the envelpoe doesn't have to mean making rude noises and using computers.

His sense of taste is somewhat suspect sometimes in my opinion. I noticed in the Blues series recently on PBS he was way over the top at least once when playing at Abbey Road with Tom Jones and the crew. Most of his playing there was stunning though. I'd like to hear him explore some jazz standards or do a bonafide blues record. He's never really done either in his entire career. Or something latin perhaps that would be really cool.

maybe his next album concept will be german beer-drinking music....nobody's done that yet?

he could even call it "Becks"....

haha