Thread: Effect of springs

Effect of springs

Do you think that a Strat with trem has a little different sound due to the spring vibration (& extra cavity in the rear) than a hardtail?
    I know it does unplugged...almost a reverby sound, but amplified?

Forum Member
    Standin' at the crossroads, shoutin' at the devil.
    Yep, that's why so many people block their trem instead of buying a hard-tail. Strats have cavities and springs, teles don't. When you change either of them then their sound changes as well.
    The man with magic hands.

Forum Member
    I had a problem with them as well. I play with ultra-heavy strings and the springs need to be tight, but there was still vibration.

I just got the tech to put foam to black the strings from vibrating. So I can still dive-bomb *and* have no spring vibration!

Enjoy this tip.

:)

Strat

No. I have trem & hardtail strats, and hear nothing from the trem springs when amplified. Unamplified, there is a reverb-like effect only for a note or two. I think this is due to the resonant frequency of the springs, they vibrate sympathetically for certain notes only.
    Last edited by Electron; 08-07-2002 at 08:35 AM.

There's a big difference IMO, I'm not saying one is bad and the other good...but I can tell there's a big difference in the sound plugged in if I stuff the cavity with foam to dampen em or if I let em buzz naturally, they guitar seems more alive and notes sustain longer, personally that's wht I don't like a hardtail strat.

I set mine up with all 5 springs and I tighten the claw screws to to run the trem flat.

Some folks will claim there's no difference, but a lot of others will, so......