Thread: Compression

Compression

Hey doe's any one know of a good compressor, that doe's not kill your tone? I've tried the Boss compressor but it was horrible. It basically killed my tone when it was off. The MXR Dyna Comp was ok it least when it was off it was off unlike the boss. Basically im looking to cover a lot of ground. From chicken picken to metal and every thing in between. It need's to be off when I turn it off to. Plus im not looking to make my tone brighter or darker when I have it on. Just some thing very natural sounding. So what do you like?
    Last edited by HIGHVOLTS; 12-05-2003 at 11:51 PM.
    Im the silent one

Forum Member
    I use the Keeley Compressor. I've used both the Boss and the MXR and they were as you described. The Keeley is quiet and has true bypass. I've also heard good things about the Analogman Comprossor, but I've not tried it.

TFF Stage Crew

Dyna Comp - Keely

I would reccomend a unit with 2 knobs.
    1. Compression (ratio)
    2. Output

Dyna Comps are great, the sound out of these simple units is outstanding. Beware floor units with tone pots, they are noise monsters and you don't want to control tone with your floor compressor. The boss units are very noisy (mine sounded like an air conditioning unit). I enjoy my Dyna so much that I bought a Super-Comp just to try it. I had such a hard time dialing a good tone that I sold it on E-bay a week later, it was like working with the Boss product - not good. Nix the Super, stay with the classic Dyna.

If you want to get really fussy, Buy an Alesis nano-compressor 1/3 rack unit for $115.00 and run a switch pedal to it. I use the nano stuff in my little 8 track home studio, VERY tweekable, great sound but again.

Dyna - very good
    Bob Keely - gourmet

my 2 cents (I'm a compession nut, I love a Tele or Strat with a compressor)
    Last edited by studio1087; 12-14-2003 at 10:43 AM.
    Carry On!

John

Barber Tone Press Parallel Compressor. This is a new concept for compressors that should have been thought of long before now. You can mix in as much, or as little of the clean signal you want into the output. It is also true bypass, so there's no tone loss when it's turned off. There is also a lot less noise when the unit is engaged. I just got rid of my Boss CS-3 and replaced it with the Tone Press. The difference was immediately apparent.

Forum Member
    I owned the Keeley for a while but I sold it after I bought a Carl Martin.

There was something about the Keeley that I didn't like.

HIGHVOLTS

I LIKE THE ALESIS NANOCOMPRESSORS KILLER LIL MACHINES AND YOU JUST PLUG A MOKMENTARY FOOT SWITCH IN IT AND ITS BYPASSABLE YOUR TONE DONT CHANGE ITS A KOOL TOOL
    I OWN 2

JUST A IDEA

AND AT $99 A POP CHEAP ENOUGH SAMPLIN RATE IS GREAT AND THEY WORK GREAT AND HAVE HARD / SOFT KNEE ETC

ITS KILLER
    ITS ALSO A STEREO UNIT
    SO HAVE FUN

SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS