Thread: Anybody using a 215 cab with their guitar?

Anybody using a 215 cab with their guitar?

I've got a '64 Bandmaster, a '65 Bassman and a'68 Bassman that I sometimes use with a 115 cab. All three sound good with this setup but I'm wondering what would happen if you used two 15's vis a vis a Showman style cab or clone?

All three amps are blueprinted and sound exactly like they're suppossed to so I'm guessing if one 15's good then two 15's would be very good. The speaker in the 115 cab's a Weber California so as good as that sounds I can just imagine having two of those heavy bastards cranking.

Any experience or suggestions?
    You can never have too
    much music in your life.

Forum Member

Re: Anybody using a 215 cab with their guitar?

Originally posted by jim in texas
    I've got a '64 Bandmaster, a '65 Bassman and a'68 Bassman that I sometimes use with a 115 cab. All three sound good with this setup but I'm wondering what would happen if you used two 15's vis a vis a Showman style cab or clone?

All three amps are blueprinted and sound exactly like they're suppossed to so I'm guessing if one 15's good then two 15's would be very good. The speaker in the 115 cab's a Weber California so as good as that sounds I can just imagine having two of those heavy bastards cranking.

Any experience or suggestions?
    I don't have much experience like that but I can't imagine a venue where I'd need that kind of volume.

fezz parka
    Hey Jim,

All the amps you mention want to see a 4 ohm load. Is the single 15 a 4 ohm speaker? If not, then two 15's (@ 8ohms each wired in parallel for 4 ohms) would definitely be better. You're running the amp at a 100% mismatch. While this is safe enough, it's not as effcient as running the amp with the proper load. :)
    Last edited by fezz parka; 12-04-2003 at 05:37 PM.

I have a little 25w or so amp I pair up with a 2x15 cabinet.

the speakers aren't the greatest but they sound pretty good when I crank the thing up.

definitely sounds better with a gibson than a fender FWIW

recently I tried my 1x15 combo with the back off, sounded WAY better for gtr, so maybe I'll test the 2x15 openback too & see how it sounds. right now it's sealed.

I have a Weber 15" Chicago I'm dying to build an open-back cab for too....:bigal

*edit* I imagine any Fender amp would sound great with 2x15 though!! go listen to Jimi live at Monterey....2 big showmans + 2x15" cabs as well as his Marshalls.

:nelson :nelson
    Last edited by Bolero; 12-04-2003 at 08:02 PM.
    "evil men make you kill me,
    evil men make me kill you;
    even though we’re only families apart..."

Fezz

Yes I'm running the Cali mismatched. I failed to mention that I swap around with a 4 ohm Jensen C15n. It sounds good too but the Cali smokes, mismatch and all.

If I do come across a 215 cab then I'll go with a second 8 ohm Cali to get down to 4ohm.

I'm really sold on that speaker and use 10's, 12's and the 15 in a varity of cabs.

I'm not planning on a 215 to be overly loud. What I'm planning on is to be overly full and lush. Loud kills me now.
    You can never have too
    much music in your life.