Thread: 64 princeton amp

Forum Member

64 princeton amp

I have had this amp for a while,when i bought it it had a transformer fitted to lower the uk(240v) to us voltage,i want to restore it,i require a good quality 10" speaker and should i recapp it and which capps should i replace.

Old Tele man

re: which caps?

in order of precedence:

Electrolytic capacitors: first, power supply filter capacitors; second, preamp cathode bypass capacitors.

If you don't have a schematic, get a copy...you'll need it.
    Last edited by Old Tele man; 11-30-2003 at 04:24 PM.

Forum Member
    What is the best place to get a copy from and what brand of parts do you recomend

Old Tele man

re: parts n smarts...

best play to learn about which components to use is right here, read some of the older postings...it's already there. I prefer Sprague and Mallory, but they're costly...maybe someone else can chime in with details you can use...?

Schematic's can be downloaded either from "Mr. Gearhead" at Fender, "Schematic Heaven" website, or "Fender Amp Field Guide" at Ampwares website...all free.
    Last edited by Old Tele man; 11-30-2003 at 04:33 PM.

TFF Stage Crew

Forum Member
    Electronics sorted now to the speaker,over in the uk we are limited to jensen/celestion what do you recomend

Forum Member
    Anyone got any recomendations

1964 was transitional, I think. Is it a tone knob (6G2) Princeton, or a Treble/Bass Princeton (AA or AB____)?

If it's a tone knob Princeton, I'd select either a WeberVST C10Q (10F125 - what I have) or a P10Q (10A125). An "R" style doesn't have the guts to hang with one of these driven hard. The amp is also a little dark, and the brighter "Q" works better.

If it's a treble/bass Princeton, an "R" might work well (10F100 or 10A100). They don't have as much gain, and are a brighter amp. If it's particularly bright, an "N" (10A150 or 10F150) will round off the high end.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Forum Member
    Thanks for the reply it is a 6G2 model,webber speakers are not available in the uk and to ship one is just too expensive,i can get jensen speakers what would you recomend from that range

I haven't played much with the RI Jensens. I'd stick with something fairly bright, and around 20W. Maybe a Celstion V10?
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks