Thread: $1350 for a NOS or $3000 for a Masterbuilt?

$1350 for a NOS or $3000 for a Masterbuilt?

Check out the pics in this thread? I'm trying to decide between the two. Huge difference in price for sure. I like the color of the masterbuilt better. I'm looking for seafoam green, which both are supposed to be.

What do ya'll think?

http://www.thefenderforum.com/forum/...=&threadid=644

Rosewood looks way better with this color to me, & that anodized pickguard... no way! I vote NOS.

NOS without a doubt. With the money left over you can prolly buy a masterbuilt sunburst :arh kidding bro !
    I'd like to fly, but my wings have been so denied

wow that was gorgeous, go for the NOS
    Formerly Bluesgtr20

Forum Member

well...

i currently own a sea foam green 60's relic... and it's just a killer guitar... but there for a while... i had a masterbuilt 60's relic at home (also sea foam green) trying to make a decision of whether or not to keep it within 48 hr approval period. i can tell you from that experience that - for the difference in price there wasn't a whole lotta diff between the two (masterbuilt vs. current non-masterbuilt). i settled for the relic and have been more than happy with it since.

i think if you're looking for great re-sale value and something of a conversation piece and if you have the money to do it... then go masterbuilt (and be prepared to wait a year or so).

but, if you don't care about re-sale value and collectability... save yourself some money and time and go for the regular time machine series or NOS or whatever you're interested in.

remember, a regular time machine NOS (or whatever you're interested in) is STILL team built... even though they don't call it that... but that's what it is.

as it turns out... i did turn around and order a "team built" 1-off NOS guitar. i could get everything i wanted within the "team built" designation and didn't have to go masterbuilt. you may want to consider that route too.

(p.s. i can't hardly wait till it gets here!!!)

here's a sea foam green NOS for ya to check out:

http://www.guitargalleria.com/180060.html
    Last edited by moozak; 08-06-2002 at 08:08 AM.
    -jr-

Forum Member
    Why is the color so important?
    Last edited by Gazza; 08-06-2002 at 07:58 AM.

Originally posted by Gazza
    Why is the color so important?
    B/c I'm so damn good looking, that the guitar has to compliment my dashing appearance

Remember Gaz: It's better to look good, then it is to play good ;)

Forum Member
    Sound's good to me brotha'.:tw59

Originally posted by XOSKELETAL

Remember Gaz: It's better to look good, then it is to play good ;)
    I'm in trouble on both accounts... Only chops I gots is poke-chops...
    Jason
    The Bear Guy

Forum Member
    Why not split the difference cost-wise and get a Lentz strat or Tele in Seafoam green? The color and finish will be as good as it gets and the tone and playability will make you a believer.

:nelson :nelson :nelson :nelson :nelson :nelson

Geetar, I'm only gonna have one strat, and I want it to be a fender, even if that means it may not be as great a "player."

Now, the question is:

$1350 for the ebay NOS, which has some serious post factory fading and some attempts at "relic-ing" and an "as is" "no return" ebayer, or $2100 for a brand new factory ordered sea foam NOS, with medium jumbo frets and flat radius fingerboard, and set up by Music Gallery?

Damn, all these freaking decisions.

Forum Member
    that's where i bought my sea foam green 60's relic. great people to deal with.
    -jr-

Originally posted by Mike Hansen
    Is that from Music Gallery in IL? I've dealt with them before, they have killer stuff, do great setups, and are excellent to deal with.
    I spoke with them on the phone today (Frank Glionna), and he seemed really cool. I would special order and hafta wait 3 months. Hmmmm, maybe I'm leaning towards new.

Mike H: back at ya!

I hate haggling over price, but see no point in paying more then I have to. So, is there any point in haggling over the price of a custom ordered NOS or are they set in stone?

Forum Member
    Ah the power of branding but I do understand! I'd go with the $1350 strat for $$$ reasons. And I'd go used becasue there's so many of them out there.

Forum Member
    Standin' at the crossroads, shoutin' at the devil.
    If they already make your ideal model then go N.O.S. However, if you want something tailored to YOU then go for teh Masterbuilt. If you're debating between two existing guitars I would recommend the N.O.S. :)
    The man with magic hands.

Forum Member

???

geetargoul: what is this "lentz" thing you keep referencing? i've not heard of a "lentz" strat... other than what you've mentioned here. tell me more... if you will.
    -jr-

Forum Member
    Standin' at the crossroads, shoutin' at the devil.
    He's refering to strats built by Scott Lentz. Scott is an acclaimed luthier who hangs out on both the LPF and TFF. His refinishing work is top notch. :)
    The man with magic hands.