Thread: Is $1250 a good price for a 60 NOS Custom shop Strat?

Is $1250 a good price for a 60 NOS Custom shop Strat?

As new, olympic white, rosewood, 2001 model, all case candy, is $1250 a good price? I see very few of these sell used, I see MF has em new for about $1950.

There's your answer.

go for it bro, that sounds like an excellent price let us know what u decide

Hey Guild,
    I paid $1350 for my Olympic white closet classic 60 RI, so I think that price is awesome! I love my guitar and would definitely buy it again in a heartbeat. They really don't put out a lot of bad Time Machines, so I think you'll like it. At that price you can buy it, hold onto it and see if you like it without losing any money if you decide to sell it later....you might even make a few bucks. I say go for it!

PS: The pickups in the 60RI's ROCK!!!

Is $1350 a good price for a 2000 NOS strat with some wear and tear? Quite a bit of fading, and some nicks and stuff?

Shawn, tell me more, how do you like the neck profile, is the finish sticky? Are those the Masterwound pickups?

Hey XO,
    The allure of the Relics (and to a certain extent the closet classics) is that you dont have to worry about a ding or dent hurting resale value. This doesnt seem as true with the NOS's. It seems a little silly that if the wear were artificial and factory induced that the guitar would actually increase in value
    Still $1350 is an ok deal for a used NOS. If it is beat, then $1200 or $1250 would be a "great" deal. If you love the guitar on the other hand and it sounds good and plays well then you might be getting a bargain. Any fretwear? Do you have any pics?

$1200-1300 is about as low as I ever see NOS or Closet Classics sell for. Relics usually bring 1300-1600.

Even tho all 3 guitars are the same except for different finish the Relics cost more when new and also resale for a litle more also.

Guild,
    The neck on mine is on the thin side. I normally prefer a thicker neck, but I am in love with this particular neck. It never ever frets out and it has super low action. It has the vintage radius and the smaller vintage frets, so finding a neck that doesn't fret out on the big bends was really great. I got the guitar "As New" from a collector who never played it, so the neck was a bit sticky when I got it. The finish is so thin on these though that after a couple of weeks of constant playing it is getting much smoother. It never was Les Paul sticky or even Fender AV RI sticky, but was by no means satin-like. I imagine that has to do with the super thin finish on these. Being a closet classic, mine has the finish checking and a few small dings. The hardware is a touch aged. Overall it is a super cool looking guitar.
    I'm not sure if the pickups are masterwound or not. I know they make them specifically for this guitar and do not sell them seperately as an aftermarket item. They are very bell like and vintage straty sounding. I am in love with the in between positions on this guitar (I installed the 5 Way). The neck gives you a great deep bluesy tone and the bridge isn't nearly as ice-picky as I was expecting. It was once again more bell like than ice picky. I'm sure you've heard vintage strats and know what I mean by that. They arent harsh and neither is this RI. The Time Machine guitars are great with amazing attention to detail. It has a super tight neck pocket fit and perfect fretwork. Those guys really put pride into their work and it shows. Let me know if you have any other questions or feel free to shoot me an email!

Here's some pics. What'ya think?

I'm also looking at a master built closet classic for $3 grand. It's a 2000 and very nice looking.

PS: I say go for it Guild, it is a great deal and who really cares about the aging anyway. If I had the funds I would scoop it up as a backup to my 60RI at that price. That is about the best endorsement I can give. I have had lots of strats and this is the only one that keeps my 335 in its case.

XO,
    The top RI definitely has some play wear, but I really don't mind that kind of thing at all. If it has good tone and plays well then I don't really care. It is a tool afterall isnt it?
    I'd check the neck, check for fretwear, fretting out, warps, cracks etc... If the neck checks out ok and it plays and sounds good then I say go for it. It is the green color you were after on top of everything. I don't know if I would put up the extra $1650 for the Mastergrade unless it is THE ONE. It is a strat after all, there is only so much room for improvement once you get to Custom Shop levels. Now if they made the Mastergrade to your specs for you then I might be able to see it, but as a second hand guitar I would pass. Good luck and I'm sure that you'll love either guitar!

Thanks Shawn!!!!!!

It's an ebay deal, so I can't precheck the neck and frets. I'm checking whether there is a return period.
    Last edited by XOSKELETAL; 08-05-2002 at 08:04 PM.

Hey XO,
    You never know with ebay, but I found the auction and the guy seems to have great feedback. I'd ask him a lot of questions about the guitar and see if he'll give you a 24 hour trial period if you use the buy it now option. He might even take a little less money to end the auction early and arrange things outside of ebay. I've had a lot of luck emailing people on guitars I was interested in and getting them to knock some cash off of the top if I paid right then and there. Never hurts to ask!

Originally posted by ShawnRT
    Hey XO,
    You never know with ebay, but I found the auction and the guy seems to have great feedback. I'd ask him a lot of questions about the guitar and see if he'll give you a 24 hour trial period if you use the buy it now option. He might even take a little less money to end the auction early and arrange things outside of ebay. I've had a lot of luck emailing people on guitars I was interested in and getting them to knock some cash off of the top if I paid right then and there. Never hurts to ask!
    Ahhhh, we're communicating now!!!! I've already asked several questions, including ending it early. We'll see.

XO,
    Good luck! Let me know how it turns out. Sure would be nice to see that strat as an Avatar pic :tw59
    Last edited by ShawnRT; 08-05-2002 at 08:23 PM.

Forum Member
    $3000.00 for a non-vintage Strat is WAY too much IMO.

I'd go for the CS one, the aging looks pretty cool.:)

Hey Guild,
    Did you buy the 60?

Shawn...

Well, LOL....now another has come into the mix, a Custom Classic C neck, in cobalt blue, this has an ash body, which I really want, and the 9.5 radius which I really prefer, plus 22 frets, the 2 point trem, pop in arm, milled saddles, and still has the nitro body but satin poly neck finish. I think that is exactly what I want.

I already have a few alder body ones, and I'm not too hip on the 7.5 radius or the nitro neck finish on the 60 NOS...seems Fender read my mind when it came up with the Custom Classic.

The custom classics are indeed nice!
    Jason
    The Bear Guy

Guild,
    Sounds like the Custom Classic is more your cup of tea. I prefer the vintage feel to my 60RI despite it's lack of modern features. It's as close as I'm going to get to a real 60RI in this condition, so it's kind of a poor man's substitute. How much are they asking for the Custom Classic?