Thread: Is Fender color blind or is it me?

Is Fender color blind or is it me?

As some of you know, I'm preparing to dive into the Fender Strat world after playing LP's for decades. I'm completing a crash course to learn about these strange guitars, having never even played one before.

I think I want to go with the Custom Shop NOS (I personally do not like fake aging). Do you think I can get one used for around $1000? Do you experts leave the stock pu's in?

Now for the tough part. WHAT THE HELL IS UP WITH THE COLORS? I mean, I am pretty set on the Seafoam Mist, that is until I sea one that is supposedly seafoam but looks nothing like the other one that is supposedly sea foam. Some look like Daphne Blue. I even saw one that said "A beautiful Daphne Blue that aged nicely into a sea foam green."

Check these out:

Orig 1964 Sea Foam:

1995 Sea Foam:

Jason Davis Masterbuilt Closet Classic, Seafoam Green

1995 MIJ

From Yahoo shopping, supposed Fender seafoam green.

1995 American

And finally, a 2000 NOS I'm looking at:

Is it just my eyes, or do they look different?

Forum Member
    First of all the MIJ looks like Lake Placid Blue and not Seafoam at all to me.

As for the rest this is a color with a lot of variation. I bet if you set two original Fender seafoam guitars from the same year in the 60s next to each other they wouldn't match exactly either. Part of it on old ones has to due with how much they were exposed to the elements-sunshine, barroom smoke, etc...these can cause the color to fade(sunshine) or darken(smoke). And even when they are new the finish can vary from guitar to guitar based on a lot of variables.

But they all look good to me!

Throw in the confusion of Surf Green and Sea Foam Green ad naseum, and it gets real frustrating...
    Jason
    The Bear Guy

Forum Member
    Dude, forget stressing about the colors. They're all allike.;)
    Just grab the first strat off the rack ,wring its neck, and make it yours. That's how you're SUPPOSED to treat a strat.

I personally like the two-tone bursts.

Trust your eyes and don't give too much credence to what dealers/sellers call the color. Surf/Sea Foam get confused all the time as does Daphne/Sonic Blue.

And what the heck is "Seafoam Mist" ?? Sounds like you're confused too. There's Burgundy Mist and there's Seafoam Green (sometimes just "Foam Green") but no Seafoam Mist. That metallic one looks like Lake Placid Blue to me. Which is not to be confused with Ocean Turqouise. And let's not even get into the confusion over Shoreline Gold and Aztec Gold. *phew*

Oh, and a used NOS for $1,000? I doubt it. $1250 maybe. Especially if something's been changed on it.

Forum Member
    I personally would be color blind if I liked ANY of those colors
    aka: lespaul506

Forum Member
    SKEL,

I had a Smith for a Time Machine Series '60 NOS Strat in Daphne, last year. Best price I could find on the used market was $1300, but most were hovering right around $1500. Some think eBay has been down a bit since then (and I'm one of 'em), so you may be able to do better now, if you're comfy with buying hands-off. Good luck! :)

{I ended up with a beautiful 2001 '62 Strat RI/Inca w/ohsc & all the candy, for $800; happy boy!}

Forum Member
    yeah, monitors, cameras and lighting can definitely distort the colors a bit.

Forum Member

foam

I ran a control of that color and what they gave me was dark moss green. The code given was published as an excellent match
    to that of todays standard acrylic colors.Its not close at all..
    Try try again....norms rare guitars has some nice examples of that color.The problem is unless you have a color matching expert
    on the spot doing it, the guy making the paint is going by the codes given. If he is trained in both mixing and on the spot repair then he can match the color regardless of the codes......by eye.
    Heading back again to see about that angle.