Thread: help me with my wah.

help me with my wah.

i have an older vox wah (about 8 years old). it sounds okay, but i need it to be smoother. i've read a couple places that changing the inductor will help with this. i'm not interested in buying a new one, don't have the money now to do that. williams said he knew of a site, if you can remember that one buddy please post it. thanks in advance guys.

chuck
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member
    http://www.green-fuz.freeserve.co.uk/wah.html

Was that the one you were looking for?

You might want to give George at PedalWorX a call. PedalworX page
    He did some tweaks on my Vox wah and I am really pleased with the results. Great work, a really fair price and a quick turnaround.

thanks to both of you guys, i'm gonna check both of these out later today when i'm on a faster internet connection, some things didn't load here at the house. thanks a lot guys!

The Green-fuzz is a good site, but for some reason, they don't have the excellent pics anymore. I wouldn't start off with an inductor mod. The first and most noticeable mods to do first, are the true-bypass and volume mods. That cures the dreaded tone-sucking when off, and the volume loss when on. A Carling 316pp DPDT switch and 47k resistor. It is the starting place for wah mods. That alone makes most players happy. Then the vocal, sweep, and tone mods. Changing the pot isn't exactly the Holy Grail either. You can save money by re-indexing the pot. And you will hear a difference. The pedal doesnt rock the pot through it's full rotation. It's rotation is what sweeps the effect from bass to treble. None of them are indexed the same way, not cost effective. You can fool around with this to get the tonal sweep you like. More bass to less treble, visa versa, etc. It's an old mod, but no one gives it up, because it doesnt sell the replacement pots too well. Hell, a pot and inductor can set you back close to 60.00. The first few mods are dirt cheap, just resistors and a cap. The Carling can cost 7-12 bucks.
    Last edited by Fret Wire; 11-28-2003 at 01:01 AM.

thanks, after looking at the different sites i think i'm gonna do the vol mod, and then try out the vocal sweep and tone mods. the sweep is just way too wide for me. and it just doesn't have a "seet" sound. i guess i just want it smoother. i already have a true bass in and that helped a lot.

well, i moved my wah to the first pedal in my chain. i think the only mod i'm gonna do is the volume mod. it just needs to be a touch louder when on. thanks again all you guys.

PEDAL ORDER CHUCKOCASTER

GOOD MOVE BRO
    SEE I DONT THINK WAHS SOUND GREAT RUNNIN DISTORTION OR BOOSTS OR ANY PREAMP TYPE DEVICE IN FRONT OF IT

USIN IT FIRST WILL IMPROVE THE SOUND BRO BECAUSE ITS EASILY HEARD SWEEPABLE AND BETTER FREQUENCYS I THINK
    I DON KNO

CUCK I DONT KNO WHA EFX YO USE IN SIGNAL BUT ITS WISE TO USE WHA PEDALS FIRST INLINE

THEN ADD THE OTHERS LIKE A DISTORTION OVERDRIVE THEN INTO A CHORUS OR DELAY PLUGGED INTO A SMALL EQ PEDAL

WELL SONMETHIN LIKE THA ORDER

ME MY GUITAR CORD GOES INTO A A/B BOX FOR GUITARS SWITCHING THEN IT GETS SENT DIRECTLY TO MY 30 YR OLD CRYBABY RIGHT TO MY AMPLIFIER HEAD CRANKED UP T 10 THEN UI USE A ATTENUATOR TO QUIET THE OLD MARSHALL 4X12 CAB SLANTFACE

I USE 2 AMPS BUT I ALWAYS BUSS MY WHA FIRST IN TO MY MAIN AMP

MY GUITAR CORD BASICALLY DIRECTLY TO THE WHA OUT TO AMP

THEN IN MY AMPS I HAVE EFX LOOPS SO I USE ONE AMP DRYY AND ONE WET WITH MY BRADSHAWISH HOMEMADE SHITCHER LOOP
    IN MY RACK ITS VERY EASY

BETWEEN MY 2 1/2 STACKS IS A VOLUME PEDAL I USE TO PAN THE AMPS IN / OUT FOR DIFFERENT SOUNDS

SOMETIMES I DONT USE THE RACK ITS NICE BUT NOT NECESSARY FOR SMALL GIGS
    I ONLY USE IT FOR DELAYS /CHORUS AND A EVENTIDE HARMONIZER OR MY LEXICON SET IN 1/3 OVER PITCH ITS KOOL PIANO LIKE...WHEN USED OR I SET IT 15TH LOWER FOR GRUNGE SHIT I GOT SAME ANTIQUE RACK GEAR SINCE 84 BUT ITS ALL RELIABLE AND DOUBLE OF EVERYTHING IN CASE I HAVE TO 2 DELAYS
    LMAO

I USE THE VERY OLD ANCIENT RACK BECAUSE MY KORG TUNER IS IN IT AND ITS SUPER PLUS MY AMPS PWER CONDIONER

DEPENDING ON THE CLUB BEING SOME CLUBS ARE WIRED ELECTRICALLY HORRIBLE LOUSY GROUNDS TOO MUCH FLOURESCENT LIGHT BEER SIGHNS ETC TOO MUCH INTERFERRENCE
    SO I LUG THE RACK JUST TO PLUG MY AMPS INTO TO QUIET THE HUMS AS YOU KNO ALL TO WELL

LMAO

I NEVER USE TONS OF EFX USUALLY JUST I ADD CHORUS OR A LIL BOOST GAIN ON SOLOS OR DIFFERENT DELAY SETTINGS ITS JUST A TOOL ALL LOOP CONTROLLED I MADE MY OWN SWITCHER SYSTEM ITS KILLER IT RUNS MY WHOLE RACK AND ONLY 1 LONG CORD OUT OF RACK TO THE FLOORSWITCHER

BUT MY RACK ONLY GETS PLUGGED IN THE AMPS EFX LOOP SIGNAL AFTER THE PREAMP SECTION ON MY AMPS SO I GOT ALL MY GAINED SIGNAL GOIN TRU THE LOOP FIRST

BASICALLY THE WHA IS JUST BETWEEN ME AN MY AMP :) MY SETUP IS LIKE ABOUT 7 MINUTES IM UP AND RUNNIN
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS

Forum Member
    Hey Chuckie,,what ever became of your wah?? Did you get to any mods, or wah??

CT.

Shortly after we all first posted on this thread, Stuart Castledine put the photos back up on his site! One of the best sites out there for wah mods.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/s.castl...enfuz/wah.html

CT,

haven't gotten to moddin my wah yet. plan on it though, i just need some more free time (don't we all?) plus, i was leary, but i'm glad those pics are up (thanks for the update fretwire). i think this might happen monday or tuesday.

Forum Member
    Originally posted by GuitarG
    You might want to give George at PedalWorX a call. PedalworX page
    He did some tweaks on my Vox wah and I am really pleased with the results. Great work, a really fair price and a quick turnaround.
    I got my Vox from George and he did a fantastic job at making this pedal sound better.