Thread: Have you ever played with somebody that totally clicked with you musically??

Have you ever played with somebody that totally clicked with you musically??

I use to play with this bass player friend who, for some reason or another, totally clicked with me musically in every way possible. it was like we could read each other's mind, and know what the other guy was going to play before he played it. We had very similair styles and liked the same kind of players (bassists and guitarists). Our style of playing seemed to mesh together as one -- almost like one person playing two instruments. I've played with plenty of bass players after and before him, but nobody has ever come as close to meshing with me musically as he did. I wish I could find another guy like him again, but I can't

-Just wondering if any of you cats ever felt this way with another player...

-Kevin
    GAS: Gear Acquisition Syndrome
    TAS: Telecaster Acquisition Syndrome
    BAS: Bass Acquisition Syndrome
    ...but I don't have SAS: Stratocaster Acquisition Syndrome...not yet anyway...

Forum Member
    I thought you were talking about me. :wail2
    Got Strat

TFF Stage Crew
    Definitely! I have had that experience with a few people. The type of music I like to listen to & play has a lot of room for improvisation (the Dead, ABB) & that kind of intuition is essential.
    Last edited by Cogs; 11-15-2003 at 04:03 AM.

3 TIMES

MARK THIS UN REAL DRUMMER IS LIKE GENEKRUPA AND BUDDY RICH LITERALLY HE IS AMAZING ON DRUMS

WE KLICK OFF SO WELL I NEVER EVER HAVE TO LOOK AT HIM ITS LIKE WE READ EACH OTHERS MINDS MUSICALLY
    BY FAR THE BEST DRUMMER I EVER PLAYED WITH HE IS UN REAL THE SHIT HE DOES ON A NORMAL SET OF DRUMS NOT NO FANCY SPACE AGE OVER SIZED DRUMS KIT HIS IS THE NORMAL SET I'LL TELL YOU THIS IN THE 20 YRS IVE KNOWN HIM AND PLAYED WITH HIM IN LOTS OF BANDS HE IS THE BEST THAT I KNO OF

NO MATTER HOW LONG WE DONT PLAY IN EACH OTHERS BANDS WHEN WE JUST GET TOGETHER AND JAM IT IS UNREAL HE READS MY MIND AND SAME BACK

DUANNE IS UNREAL BASSIST IVE KNOWN AND STILL PLAY WITH FOR LIKE ETERNITY HE IS THE SAME WAY HE'S MY OLDER BROTHER WE'VE PLAYED OVER 15 YRS IN SAME BANDS

AND RICH V IS ONE OF MY BEST FRIENDS AND LIKE A 2ND FATHER HE KNOWN ME SINCE I WAS 2 MONTHS OLD HE WAS IN A BAND WITH MY DAD AND HIS BROTHERS

HE HIRED ME AT 14 TO PLAY LEAD GUITAR IN A BLUES SANTANA STYLED BAND IT WAS ALOT OF FUN GETTIN PAID GOOD MONEY BACK THEN DOIN SOMETHIN I LOVE TO DO

IN NY WE ALWAYS KLICK AND WERE IN 2 DIFFERENT BANDS BUT WHENEVER WE JAM ON GUITARS ITS LIKE IT WAS YESTERDAY AND NO YRS PASSED
    NO JOKIN
    LIFE IS WEIRD
    THESE 3 PEOPLE ARE IT TO ME MUSICALLY ITS FUN WERE
    TIME NEVER STANDS STILL
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS

I have a couple of musician friends like that.

Mark in Temecula, CA is a guitar player that just get's it. After all the time we worked together in several different bands we never clashed or disagreed once. We were just on the same wave length.

And things are like that with my friend, Bill, who posts in here as "Moe Humble". He likes my bass playing cause I don't play anything beyond basic, and I pay close attention to where he's going. hehehe
    Ayatollah of Dumbassollah

facebook: Stephen Doc Watson

my buddy greg who plays drums for EVERYTHING i do. others not so much, not that we don't play well together, but there ain't nothing like playing with someone who all you need to do is look at them and they know where you're going.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

CHUCKOCASTER

HEY BUDDY
    YOURE SOOOO TRUE ITS WEIRD WHEN YOU KNO WHA YOUR OTHER FRIEND IS GONNA PLAY AND DONT EVEN HAVE TO TALK OR LOOK AT THEM I JUST USUALLY CLOSE MY EYES AND LET MY FINGERS DO THE WALKIN ......
    I CALL IT SPIRITUALITY ITS LIKE ESP BUT BETTER SAME THING I THINK ....ITS A MUSICIANS ESP BASICALLY IF THA MAKES SENSE

ITS INTUITION ON A MUSICAL LEVEL

TONIGHT DUANE / ME GOT A REHERSAL MY OLD BAND WE ALL REUNITED AND NAPOLEAN PUT THESE TEENY BOPPER SONGS ON THE LIST / CD FOR US 2 TO LEARN AND I AINT FAMILIAR WITH MICHELLE BRANCH SHIT
    IM OLD FART
    WELL BOTH OF US ARE SO I AM HAVIN TO LEARN THESE STUPID SONGS FOR THE OTHER 3 MEMBERS LMAO

I GOT TO LEARN LANDSLIDE ALSO STEVIE NICKS SONG LUCKY ME

I WILL GET IT THIS WEEK ILL TEAR THESE SONGS APART BUT ITS A PAIN IN THE ASS LEARNIN SHIT BECAUSE ONE NAPOLEAN IN THE BAND HAS THESE DUMB SONGS SUPPOSEDLY FIGURED OUT WHILE I WAS IN JAIL ETC ...YADA YADA YADA

I LOVE JAZZ /BLUES BUT SO FAR I DONT SEE THE LIGHT SO AFTER THESE COMMITED GIGS I POSSIBLY AM GONNA TAKE A HIKE AND MAKE A KILLER BAND UP WITH DUANE BECAUSE ITS BULLSHIT BUT HEY ITS PART OF BEIN IN A PRETTY BIG BAND

EITHER US MUSICIANS IN MY BAND MEET HALF WAY OR I MOVE ON
    LIKEI DID THE DAY AFTER MY CAR ACCIDENT
    BASICALLY I AM REUNITING BECAUSE OF 2 SMALL REASONS
    #1 I GOT 4-6 COMMITED GIGS AS THE BAND BOOKED
    #2 MY OLDER BROTHER /KEYBOARDIST DUANE NEEDS THE MONEY WELL I COULD USE IT TOO
    BUT IM STIKIN IT OUT FOR HIM
    WE'LL SEE HOW IT GOES
    ONE WAY OR ANOTHER
    DUANE / ME NEVER LOOK AT EACH OTHER WERE ALWAYS ON THE SAME WAVELENGTH

ITS LIKE THA
    SOME BAND MEMBERS LIKE TENSION I DONT

WHO KNO'S
    ILL GIVE IT A RE TRY
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS

BLUELOU

i've reunited with the guys from my old power trio. this time out they say it is gonna be different, i hope so. it seems like it is already better. they finally listened to me about cover bands supposed to be fun. so we're taking it easy and picking songs that are fun to play, and a couple crwod pleasers of course. no michelle branch though, sorry about that one lou. sounds like to me you need to get in a rock band and not a top 40. move to cali and you can play with us...
    Last edited by chuckocaster; 11-16-2003 at 04:35 PM.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Old Tele man

re: musicians and marriages

like marriages, some musicians just 'hit it off well' and 'click' in spite of everything; others are like the other half of the marriages...flirting, infatuation, union and divorce.

Just like kindergarten: "...not EVERYBODY 'plays' well together..."

Sure did

A very long time ago I played with a guitarist that was so "up my alley" we never even had to practise (although being profs back then..) until he turned to country music totally and became the best in that field.

Now and then we jam and it's always amazing, how great it fits.:tw59
    The Rockman

Have you ever played with somebody that totally clicked with you musically??

Yes. Our current drummer. Regarding tempos - I view him as my Wingman and as Tom Cruise so elloquently put it in "Top Gun", I'M NOT LEAVING MY WINGMAN.

In other regards, we just have a knack for playing tightly. When one gets an idea to 'throw in' a dash of flair, the other always seems to know it before it's gonna happen and goes right with him. It's been a real joy and is always effortless to play along with him.

Did I mention that he's also my older brother? I wonder if that has something to with it?

Mmmmmmmmm..........COULD be!!

Last edited by Telebluesfan; 11-19-2003 at 09:13 AM.

Forum Member

Hmmmm

funny how we all seem to click with drummers well, but we make so much fun of them. Oh well, they are easy targets sometimes.

My musical partner is Mike. I met him when I was 14, we were both snare players in the Wyoming High School Centennial Marching Band. We played all over the state and in the Rose Bowl Parade.

Anywho, I picked up guitar and started a band in college. Started out just jammin with the two of us and then added a bass player later. A really good funk/blues trio and we played anywhere we could.

Then careers called and we dont live in the same town anymore, but still get together and jam a couple of times a year. Nothing has changed. I could then (and still can) just give him a look or a nod and he knows where I am going. We lock in together and it just works.

The drummer I play with now is good, but I just cant communicate with him. he doesnt listen to what I am doing, and doesnt lock in on anything.

The good news is that next year we may look at jobs in the area he is in (I am a teacher and love the town he lives in) so we can get back together and really start tearin it up!

One of my older brother's friends named Johnny has played drums for most of his life. I can remember seeing him many times when he was a kid in the school cafeteria with spoons set up with a crowd around listening to him. He was actually very quiet, and not the show-off type at all. His talent is completely natural.

Once I got into my teens I picked up the guitar and since I knew him he'd let me sit in with his band from time to time during practice sessions, which meant I would stand trembling over in the corner with my guitar turned way down while the band played. Over time I got to where I was able to actually play with him, and we just seemed to click. I spent the first few years practicing a good bit with a metronome, so my timing was fairly decent. Over the years we got to where we were completely comfortable with each other, to the point that often we'd forego full-blown band practice and the two of us would get together for extended improvisational jams. He's the only drummer I've been able to break out into a lead with without a bassist or rhythm guitarist. With the band if I'd do something a little off-time during the song Johnny would pick right up on it and at times we'd really mix things up. To me that's what it's all about. He now has a family and has moved about an 1 1/2 hours from where I now live and I haven't played with him in years, although I still get together and play with his younger brother a good bit. Not quite the same though...
    "The lord will take two things so much alike that he would not mind choosing from them blindfold - and then for a great jest he will allow the slaves to choose."

Forum Member
    The drummer in the punk band (Brazen Hussey) I used to be in when I was in college/SoCal. We rawked!

I've there a couple of times, actually! My musical soulmate is my friend Rick. He's a singer and lyricist(Good Lord, could he sing "Blackbird"). We had a band called The Guilt that gained some notoriety in Massachusetts & Rhode Island. We were really schizophrenic, as we refused to focus on just one direction(we were out to please ourselves). It was all rock, but you could hear U2, The Beatles, the Sex Pistols, REM, the Cure, Aerosmith, The Cult...TONS of stuff in our "sound". I did THE RIFFS, and he did the words & melodies. Towards the end of our 6 year run, I was throwing in the odd line o' lyrics & in some cases entire songs, and he was calling me up humming guitar parts...but we were coming up with the kind of stuff the other would have! MAGIC, I tell you!
    Rick got married & moved out to Colorado. I miss being in a band with him. Nothing since has compared with hitting the boards together in the NE underground. I am so proud of that music.

I also "click" with a local rhythm section who are identical twins! We're talking about putting together a new project next year.

And yes, I did get together with Rick and the twins for a "one-off" gig some years ago. If real life hadn't intervened, we would have been the band to end all bands!
    Last edited by ajay315; 11-21-2003 at 08:21 PM.

i used to play bluegrass with a guy i knew from high school. me on guitar, him on banjo. this guy could just straight rip it up, down, and sideways. i've never really gotten ahold of flatpicking and bluegrass solos, but i can play bluegrass rhythm like it's no one's business. anyway, we just got along like peas and carrots musically. it was almost blissful. i lament those days quite often now as i am finding it difficult to find people to play with who a.) i jive with personally b.) play at the same level as me (i'm not great, but i don't suck) c.) have the drive to practice and gig d.) can hold down a rhythm.

with old boy banjo, i found all that stuff. sigh. those were the days.
    it's just not a friday night without some good chinese beer.

Many times, thank goodness. I'm pretty good at fitting in with many different sounds and getting in sync with various people's musical frequencies.

I DIG THE DEAD, TOO!

"I lit out from Reno, I was trailed by twenty hounds."
    Shine your light.

Yes. Fortunately for me I'm currently playing with them in Wave Invasion. It's great to have a drummer who picks up on what I do and accents things the same way that I hear them. Having a bassplayer who clicks with what I want to do makes my job so much easier we can easily work as a power Surf Trio if need be. Fortunately my son fills in parts like we're related.

http://www.waveinvasion.com/sounds.html

VM

If aliens listened to our current top 40, they'd think that the entire planet was populated by sexually ambivalent robots with ethnic insecurity.

Forum Member
    Another drummer story. Rick often described me as an extension of his right hand, because we would totally lock in together.

Back in college I had a friend who played guitar like nobody else! He was awesome. we played in a duo for a while, until we graduated and went our separate ways.
    It was like he could read my mind. I wrote and sang, he played lead, but either he would play exactly what I was thinking, or what he played was better. Unfortunately, we lost track of each other over the years, but thanks to the miracle of the Internet, we hooked back up last year. We are too far way to collaborate much, but we've been talking about doing something. He is still a great player.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain