Thread: Best P-bass String guages-pickups?

Best P-bass String guages-pickups?

Whats the Best P-bass String guages and pickups for sound value and $$$?

Forum Member

Best String Gauges for a P-Bass

I've found that for rock n roll, the best gauges are 45-65-80-105 if you play this style of music. The RotoSound Swing Bass stainless steel type sets are the classic choice for this tone. If you want a slightly warmer & mellower sound, try their Pure Nickel formula --just substitute these for the other stainless steel string set. Only one drawback to the RotoSound Swing Bass stainless sets is that they will eat your frets very quickly! So, Pure Nickel will be much easier on them & all that will be needed is a bit of re-EQ adjustments to compensate.

BTW, I'm just about to try their pure nickel sets too. Make sure that you do not mistake the nickel plated steel type of RotoSound Bass strings for their PURE NICKEL [blue colored box] sets. One good hint is the price...pure nickel is more expensive than nickel plated steel bass sets are! Good luck!

nickel!

i used nickel/stainless on my active jbass for years, then switched to pure nickel for my new passive pbass. a world of difference. i find now i much prefer the warmth of the pbass/nickel strings, it just fits the music we play much better.

i think the pure nickel strings are more flexible as well.
    "Wait, it's a trap. Get an axe."

Forum Member

These Pure Nickel Rotos ROCK!!!

Hi stonetone,

Well, I changed to the Pure Nickel Rotosound Bass sets and everything was as I expected. A much nicer, warmer "vintage" bottom end coupled with cool midrange and sweet highs! A real joy to play and they feel outstanding. I have no doubt that these with last a long time as well.