Thread: The best strat mod?

The best strat mod?

What is the best strat mod besides changing the pickups?

My favorite mods (in no particular order):
    -Shielding
    -Get rid of the individual neck & middle tone controls and set one up as a master tone (the bridge is the only one that ever needs a treble roll off anyway, IMO)
    -Some sort of set up that lets you get the last 2 pickup combinations (bridge/neck, all 3) - the easiest one is to have the neck pickup hooked up to a push/pull in conjunction with standard 5-way switch. I used to wire a 3-way like a tele (bridge, neck/bridge, neck) and then replace one of the tone controls with a 3-way rotary (switch, switch/middle, middle). This makes it a lot harder to knock the switch out of place an might sound a little better, but it's kind of a pain to do.
    -replace at least the bridge pickup with something hotter and fater than stock (I play on the bridge 99% of the time anyway)
    -Tele-style treble pass and maybe a parallel resistor (if I'm using a pot value higher than 250K) on the volume control.
    5E3 Deluxe, '74 hardtail, Strat XII, many copies.

what about putting a tele pickup in the bridge?

I was thinking about it the other day.....anyone tried this yet? results?

thx!

Forum Member
    I like rewiring a Strat so that the middle control is a master tone for both the neck and middle pickup, and the outer control is a tone control for the bridge pickup, only. Furthermore, I give each tone control its own capacitor. Part of the problem with vintage style Strat wiring is that both tone controls share a common capacitor, which makes the tone controls a bit on the useless side. Rewiring a Strat like this makes the tone controls much more usable.

As far as putting a Tele bridge pickup in a Strat... There are a few manufacturers who make what is essentially a Tele pickup that fits in a Strat bridge position. I tried a Harmonic Design STP pickup in the bridge of a Strat, and it was an unqualified success. Of course, when I did that, the guitar was wired as described above.

One of the best mods if you wanna call it that is to find the string brand and size that works best on your Strat. That and a good setup is the best mod.

I also like tone control on all 3 pickups Fender should have never wired them up so the bridge has no tone.

Forum Member
    I like the Fralin Blender Pot mod (http://www.fralinpickups.com). Basically, you replace the bridge tone pot with a blender pot. The blender pot allows you to have the standard 5 position plus you can mix in combinations of either the neck or bridge PU. For instance, if you are on the neck, the blender pot adds in the bridge (full on it sounds kind of like the middle position of a Tele). If you're on the bridge, the blender adds in the neck (again, full on it sounds like the mid position Tele). If you're on positions 2 or 4, you add in either the birdge or neck respectively (full on, you've got all three PUs working together...it sounds like a boosted mid position Tele...just w/a little more quack). Only, position 3 (mid PU) remains uneffected by the blend. I like to sit on full blend then switch to either the full neck or full bridge by twisting the knob. I like the transition.

It's a simple mod. Plus, I like the fact that you end up with one vol and one tone knob.

Anyway, I don't know if this qualifies as "the best Strat mod," but I like it. I have it on 3 Strats.
    Last edited by PhatTele; 08-23-2002 at 09:52 AM.

Without a doubt... www.plek.com

Forum Member
    "swimming pool " routed body and a solid wood pickguard. Hardtail bridge (yes, even if it's routed for a trem). Fret-board reshaped using a 'neck-jig' ( I get a real good discount, coz I'm the one who does it). unfinished body (maybe a 'true-oil' finish). Get rid of the vol pot that's too close to the pickups. Ceramic nut (i'm saying this too soon, coz I haven't tried it yet, but have a feeling it's as good as someone said ). Threaded steel inserts installed on neck and machine screws to bolt it to the body (I'm currently searching for a bulk source at a good price, and maybe also a Tap to make the job cleaner, although I've been doing ok without that.)

Maybe some good locking tuners like Sperzels.

I like a gibson type 3-way switch with 2 pickups . Just one volume knob right now.

I'm thinking of trying a 'lipstick' pickup in the neck position

All these mods are only for non-vintage strats, and I'd actually prefer you to only do them to "mutt strats" (guitar you build out of various cheap parts you're lucky enough to find--like I did)