Thread: Whammy problems!

Whammy problems!

My whammy bar wobbles in the trem block I have an Usa std strat if that helps, I have temporarly fixed it by rapping some plastic in the threads. Is there a permanent way of fixing this problem? Or should I just upgrade tremolo systems or something?
    I dont want to have to replace my kinmans because i have a narrow spaced neck pickup so if there is a great tremolo unit thats out there but still is similar to the american std bridge please post the name and webpage.:)
    Last edited by a_great_guitarist; 08-05-2002 at 12:39 AM.

Registered
    John Mann makes a great trem. Give him a shout and see if he has what you are looking for.
    http://www.mannmadeusa.com

The fender american standard is a fine bridge..........If you continue to wrap the threads in plastic, it'll probably build up in there and the arm won't wiggle anymore.

I've also heard that stuffing some cotton in the block helps too but I haven't tried it........
    Last edited by Tonebender; 08-05-2002 at 06:48 AM.

Forum Member
    If memory serves, folks used to have a small spring to put in the hole, hence why new guitars have the orange dot over the trem hole. When the arm is removed, the spring falls out and lots of them get lost that way, hence the wobbly arm.

Smart Parts will sell you a bag of those little springs cheap.
    www.partssmart.com

After you get the spring to put in, go to Staples etc. and buy a pack of legal "Seals". Keep them in your case and when you takethe arm out put a seal over the hole.

brianf
    Oh Man!!! I never knew Fender made amps too!!!

there's a few things you can try; first, as suggested, you can put a small ball of cotton or similar down that hole; or you can use these little springs to tighten the arm. To keep the spring in the hole you might dip it carefully into any kind of greasy stuff (even "Nivea" will do). Or you can try to wrap some teflon tape around the threads. Works great too.
    Last edited by Homer; 08-06-2002 at 11:37 AM.