Thread: Will a new strat neck fit a 3-bolt?

Forum Member

Will a new strat neck fit a 3-bolt?

Warmoth and WD websights both sell a CBS style strat neck, but mention that the neck won't fit a traditional (ha-ha) 3-bolt body.

Are they refering to the bolt holes lining up or some other neck heel/ neck pocket issue?

TFF Stage Crew
    I don't know. I thought that the "CBS" designation referred to the larger headstock. Try USACG. If you talk to Tommy he should be able to sort it out for you. Those guys are very helpful.

Forum Member
    3 bolt and 4 bolt pockets are both the same size but none of the holes will line up.
    No big deal, just need to do a little drilling and maybe pinning old holes with hardwood dowels.

Forum Member
    Thanks guys.

As long as the truss rod adjustment is at the head stock and not the heel of the neck you'll be OK. If the truss rod adjuster is at the heel of the neck, you stand a good chance of hitting the adjuster with the mounting screw, or splitting the heal of the neck. Do not use a neck with a heel truss rod adjuster in a three bolt situation.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Forum Member
    Originally posted by Tele-Bob
    As long as the truss rod adjustment is at the head stock and not the heel of the neck you'll be OK. If the truss rod adjuster is at the heel of the neck, you stand a good chance of hitting the adjuster with the mounting screw, or splitting the heal of the neck. Do not use a neck with a heel truss rod adjuster in a three bolt situation.
    Well I guess I should have added this in my last post.

From experience I can recommend going with a 4 bolt setup over the 3 bolt no matter what body and neck you have.

Have a 3 bolt body and a 4 bolt neck? Modify the body to take the 4 bolt neck and vise versa for a 3 bolt neck and a 4 bolt body.
    This way the truss rod adjustment is not even an issue and its much more stable than a 3 bolt setup.

My favorite Strat is a '77 neck mounted on a '62 body.
    I pinned the holes in the neck and re-drilled it to fit the 4 bolt body.

NECK QUESTION OK !!!!?

OK I GOT A 71 3 BOLTER AND I BROKE THE NECK IN A SMOKY BAR LONG AGO

IBOUGHT A WARMOTH SRV STYLE REPLACEMENT NECK WHY IS THIS NECK WAY WIDER AT THE NECK HEEL THAN MY OLD SKINNY ORIGINAL NECK ?
    I HAD TO ROUTE OUT ABOUT 1/8 OFF BODY ON BOTTOM NECK AREA TO FIT NEW NECK WHY ?

ITS DONRE NOW I CONVERTED IT FROM 3 BOLTS TO 4 BOLTS I JUST DIDNT UNDERSTAND THE DIFFERENCES IN SIZES
    71818 TB SPOSE WHYS THA ?

ITS WEIRD
    THANKX '
    LOU :nelson
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS

Forum Member
    If I remember correctly the Strat neck pocket is 2 3/16 wide
    2 15/16 deep and about 1/2" high.

Most Strats I have worked on have been pretty much dead on, necks on the other hand seem to vary.
    I have had to shim pockets where a neck was just too thin but never had to remove wood to make one fit although I'm sure it happens.

bob onit the neck pocket issue

i totally agree with you there on the topic
    i kno all my past experiences of major guitar work and it was a first ive also had to slightly shim but not remove wood it was a first and i assembled many buko kits for locals etc in the past and i dont understand the little difference in the original body neck pocket area problem

yea isnt it weird i bought this beautiful warmoth neck at mars music in tampa 6 yrs ago and i vividly remember tha the neck heel area on the new neck was 1/16 th wider than its 3 bolt broken cousin neck tha was strange but hey life is strange
    the original neck was super skinny and fast as hell

all i wanted to do was make it a 4 bolter because i broke my original neck in a bar accident

its weird then i was told at tha time by a luthier john o boyle i think or stevie b tha the body is a little smaller neck pocket wise because the super skinny original large headstock original neck i had was made like that
    it was weird
    i just carefully removed just enough wood to make a super tight fit i got it to work out but it was time consuming i'm fussy
    i am probably change tha new neck in favor of some 72 thinline contour profile neck like i originally stole from my thinline to get me out of a pinch
    it worked
    who knos
    thanx
    lou
    :)
    Last edited by BLUELOU; 11-09-2003 at 11:20 AM.
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS