Thread: WOW! Rory...

Forum Member
    Standin' at the crossroads, shoutin' at the devil.

WOW! Rory...

Holy Jesus, I just listened to Rory for the first time. What a GREAT player! So far I've downloaded a "rare" live cut of "Bullfrog Blues," and the BBC session cut of "Hoodoo Man." He's incredibl, to say the least. Man, I GOTTA get some of his albums! :) :bigal
    The man with magic hands.

Forum Member
    Buddah rereleased his whole catalog of work. Rory Gallagher was an exceptional player, also check out his work with his band Taste. His forte was Strat fingers and strings and amp.

Forum Member
    As much as I love Rorys electric guitar playing,Something about his acoustic playing is just mezmorizing.Rory could do it all,he IS the best guitarist to ever walk the face of the earth.

I agree. As much as I like his electric playing, I LOVE his acoustic stuff even more. Rory was one of the few guys who could do a remake and take it further than the original. He was also one of the few white Blues players who actually "got it". What a shame he's gone.

Originally posted by Gazza
    As much as I love Rorys electric guitar playing,Something about his acoustic playing is just mezmorizing.Rory could do it all,he IS the best guitarist to ever walk the face of the earth.
    Hi Gazza, what album would you recommend to start with? I know some single Gallagher songs, but never listened to a whole album.
    Achim

Hi Gazza;

Back on the LP Forum you recomended the BBC Cd to me. Thanks, just great playing and good tunes to boot.
    Glad to see you checking in.

brianf
    Oh Man!!! I never knew Fender made amps too!!!

Forum Member
    I just picked up Rory: Live at the BBC. WOW! I've found a whole nother outlet for inspiration. :)

Forum Member
    Right on! I think that is my second favoirte Rory Album, that AC-30 tone just kills.

Forum Member
    SECOND favorite?!? LOL... So, what's your favorite then?

Don't tell me it's the Irish one, that's the only other one they had. Anything but that, as long as I picked the best outta the two. :) :bigal

Forum Member
    The Irish tour is very good, that should be one of the next few you buy.My favorite Rory album is "Stage struck", It has various songs which were recorded on Rory's World tour 1979-1980.When I listen to Rory's albums from his very first to his very last I you can hear how he grew and became better as a guitarist.I think the Stage Struck album features Rory at the peak of his playing ability, you can hear his raw emotion in every note that he squeezes out of that Strat, his energy is unmatched by anyone who took the stage before him.Rorys playing on this tour is very intense and it's so magical that I wonder how any human is capable of making music so alive.Rory was a true musician, not in it for the money and fame.

RIP Rory, we miss you.
    Last edited by Gazza; 08-06-2002 at 07:28 AM.

Forum Member

A Story About Rory

I worked at the Bayou in DC many years ago when Rory came to town. I think it was around 1979. I was in charge of getting Rory safely back and forth between his dressing room and the stage - even held his drink (vodka on rocks) and that torn-up Strat that graced the cover of "Against the Grain" while he signed autographs. The crowd that nite - 2 long sets, SRO - was all white male and decked out in "Rory attire" - jeans, flannel shirt, jean jacket or Army jacket, and ready for action; Rory fanatics all the way. Rory didn't disappoint, either. Even when he broke a string on his Strat, he restrung the guitar as he continued to play. Never even took it off his body. He did this twice. I never saw anyone do that before or after seeing him do it. He really tore into it that night. And, aside from one or two innocuous little MXR pedals he was plugged into (I think one was a noise gate), he was raw Strat all the way. He got the crowd so worked up that, after the show, they brawled just outside the Bayou and, when the cops broke it up, they sprinted, literally, a block down the street to go at it again. What a night!

Get the DVD: The Irish Tour - '74. It's awesome!