Thread: tube ?? for "Evil Twin"

tube ?? for "Evil Twin"

I wasn't sure where the best place would be for this question, so I put it here. This is for any tube guru's on the forum.

I have a 2000 Evil Twin. I recently realized, after some swapping of preamp tubes that I have one that is not functioning properly. I don't know if I would say it's microphonic, but I'm getting a "something rattling in glass" type of sound when hitting certain notes. I have a good bit of playing time on this amp and it's probably in need of tubes all around.

So the question is. Is anyone here familiar with this amp and has anyone put tubes in it other than the stock Fender Groove Tubes? I wasn't super impressed with the amount of hiss this amp put out from the beginning. I always hoped different tubes might cure some of this. Also while the clean channel is pretty much what I want, If I could get a little more "creamy smoothness" out of the distortion channel that would be great.

I see a lot written about the new Electro Harmonix tubes. I was thinking about trying these. I don't want to get into a whole lot of expense with this. But I would like it to sound better.

Any suggestions.

Thanks
    Chris Neiman

TFF Stage Crew
    Sparrow1,

The Evil Twin comes with Sovtek 12AX7WA preamp tubes in them labeled as Groove Tubes. The output tubes are Sovtek 5881's.

I would replace those with the 12AX7EH tube or JJ/Tesla 12AX7's. The JJ's are a slight bit darker and creamier than the EH.

If you decide to also replace the output tubes I would use the Ruby 6L6GCSTR or the Ruby 6L6GCMSTR. They are a great sounding tube and perfect for Fender style amps.

I use them almost exclusively in my amp repairs. These are a unique tube only available from Ruby. They actually own the factory that produces this tube. It is basically a copy of the old Philips/Sylvania 6L6 that Fender and Boogie used in the '70's.

The Evil Twin is a cool amp that sounds great when properly set. Just keep the bass down to 3 or under when playing overdriven.

Hope this helps.

Tim C. :)

Thanks Tim,

I was leaning towards the JJ's or EH. I probably will do the power tubes also. I will definitely check out the Ruby's.

One other question. Will the bias adjustment in the back be adequate fo setting the bias if I go for the Ruby's? Futhermore, what is you opinion on using the rear voltage bias adjustment on the amp? Is this really proper or does the current at the tube need to be the measured poin?

Thanks
    Chris Neiman

TFF Stage Crew
    The bias points on the back of that amp are accurate and will work fine. Those are connected to the same place you would be taking measurements if you removed the chassis. That is the beauty of the design of that amp.

Good Luck.

Tim C. :)