Thread: SRVS #1

Forum Member

SRVS #1

The other time I got to see this one in person is when
    Stevie broght it into mike stevens shop with the headstock
    busted clean off like a pencil snapped into.
    He was in tears and Stevens with a straight face and real damn serious put his hand on Srvs shoulder and said You fucked it up !
    I laughed outloud could not stop laughing which was bad timing
    but to see this from such a serious guy undid me especially with Stevie who was laughing but with tears on his face as well.
    He knew it and was destraught well stevens pulled it from his hands and strings just slack pause for cringe....... ok....
    just headstock flapping off...free not on there any more..
    stevens said we will fix it well they did and to the point where you couldnt see the lams unreal restoration job he told me luckily it was a clean break which at the time i was like its ruined how could anything be good about this..well they glued it back and
    sanded off original decal and whole headstock faceplate
    laminated an ultrathin maple vaneer which looked like the original area they did this front and back then color matched it back to original by eye no less and even reburned it where the ciggy burn was. I got a call to come down to see it and when i was there the second time Srv came in to get it he was elated and whole again
    just played the shit out of it right there and was jumping up and down...I was infected right there with doing this and I still am.
    Ive heard that the same neck had been broken so many more times after that that it had to be retired and another "D" neck was added...I think Rene martinez has it now..Rene and zach would switch off and on who ever could go out on the road at that time did..my brush with fame...

Forum Member
    I know how SRV felt, my '57 RI MIA Strat which I kept cherry since the day I bought it in 1996 was knocked off the guitar stand by my ex-drummer after a gig which split the headstock clean through all 6 tuning peg holes. :\ A highly recommended Luthier, Dan at Top Gear San Diego did a remarkable repair job and made her playable again. Knowing that SRV and even John Lennon had to go through this with their valued axes made me deal with the repair better. :)

Great story!

-Stanze

Forum Member
    "He was in tears and Stevens with a straight face and real damn serious put his hand on Srvs shoulder and said You fucked it up !:lol2:lol2 Hee hee

That IS funny..
    Great story!!!

Forum Member

it was funny but not funny as well

As I said it was funny but not funny as well.
    He wasent balling mind you just not real damn happy.
    Mikes expression was dead serious which he is at what he does
    the fact that he shocked us by saying that broke the monotony
    it was obvious it was busted to fuck but the way he said it cracked me bad. He kind of patted him on the shoulder and took the guitar from his hands which were holding it real tight as if not to drop it again...What was not funny was the repair that was done that was quite something to see cause at nose length you couldnt see the vaneers amazing to take two pieces of busted maple and make it work again..Much less to make the break dissapear very cool indeed

Thnx for sharing