Thread: you guys have to check out my idea!

you guys have to check out my idea!

so i was over at my buddy's house today, i brought over a couple mics for them to use cause they were recording. their session didn't work out cause the drummer didn't show, so we sat around for a while bitching about drummers. then my friend chris suggests that we jam, so he playes drums, i play the geetar, and jack on bass. we jam thru all of the songs that we know that a 3 piece can cover. we take a break so i can smoke a cig, and while we are out sitting on my truck we start talkin about the stones promo with them riding around on the flat bed truck. then my buddy says "hey man it would be really cool if we did that!"
    which of course gets me thinking, why not. i'm a live sound engineer and know people who can hook us up with a p.a. so we measured and drew out diagrams, and came up with a game plan. so after we laughed about it for a while, we decided we should do some guerilla shows, parking lots and such. i guess the catalyst for this was us having to cancel our halloween show do to the lead singer and drummer not wanting to work to do the show. kinda party poopers cause it was gonna be a one off, and we were playing songs we had played in the past before we broke up.
    so we're gonna have a good time, the only problems are space (i'm playing my champ and putting it thru the p.a.), and buying a converter so we can run the electricity off my cig lighter. i saw the converters on t.v., but need to look into them closer. what do you guys think? i think it is a pretty damn funny idea.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Rent a Honda generator. Quiet, powerful, convenient, gets the job done.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

TFF Stage Crew
    Sounds like fun.

A converter through a cigarette lighter will not have the amperage to do what your talking about. They will barely run a laptop, much less two amps and a small PA. They do make converters which hardwire to your battery and would handle the load but they are expensive.

You could go the generator route as TB suggested but make sure it is a good one. Cheap generators fluctuate and can damage your equipment. The other issure there is space and playing over top of the generator noise.

A student of mine did some guerilla type shows and used battery powered pignose amps. Their setup included one for guitar, one for bass and two for vocals. They were loud enough with that rig to get a fine from the cops on one occasion!

Yeah not enough power.

I think the max I have seen is 1500 watts but I can't imagine that the truck's fuse is is anymore than 20 amps.

And that's DC, I'm not sure how that translates into AC but anyway.

Maybe rent a long flatbed trailer, put a big generator in the truck and the band in the trailer.
    If You Choose To Criticize...
    You Choose Your Enemies!

2nd on the Honda powerplant.

I wouldn't hesistate to try this. We have several Hondas we use here when we're out on the pipeline. They are reliable and quiet-running.
    I think I'd still want my gear running through some sort of voltage-stabilizing power conditioner, though.
    They call me Mr Smooth

i'll check out those hondas, cause i myself was questioning the power on the cig lighterr converter. as for the flatbed, don't think we have enough money. thanks for the input guys, i'll let y'all know how it goes.

Why use a flatbed. Put the drums in the back of the pickup, guitars go on the ground in front. Don't give up. It sounds like a great idea.

I went to a pop concert with my kid and I was thinking how cool it would have been while we were waiting if there were a band in the parking lot.

I think that is a great avenue for bands.
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

just wanted to give an update. we are still going to do the back of the truck gigs, but we are also going to do some house parties. got a couple lined up. i talked to my dad and he has a honda generator (so we don't have to rent one, bad ass!) now i just have to figure out what days we are gonna do the guerrilla gigs so i can borrow a p.a. i'll let you guys know how it goes, no i have to go learn the leads to some songs. i am really a rhythm player so i guess i'm just gonna have to woodshed a bit.

Old Tele man

re: "great" retro...advertising!

imagine in your mind the "parades" of years ago -- before CD's, 8-tracks and even cassettes -- when they played "live" on flatbed trailers pulled behind pickups and M-F or Farm-All tractors!

Great "retro" advertising for your band!