Thread: In need of a new amp. How are SWRs these days?

Forum Member

In need of a new amp. How are SWRs these days?

My SWR Workingman's has seen better days and it just isn't cutting it at gigs (I need more headroom). I'm considering the SWR Black Beauty and Super Redhead amps but have heard very little regarding quality since the FMIC aquisition. Can anyone shed some light on these models and overall QC now that some time has passed? I prefer to have a combo and 350 W should cover me for the small-medium sized rooms I play.
    "I got murder in my heart for the judge."

Forum Member
    Considering the aquisition of SWR from Fender JUST happenned, I don't see how anyone could really say with any certainty that there are quality issues to be concerned with. It's just too soon to tell.

I'm not an SWR user, but I do hold them in high regard as a well made line.

That being said, I am a big fan of the Super Redhead. I've tried the old redhead (which was pretty super too) and recommend that, for a hi-fi tone, as a great combo. Not too knowledgable of the other line you mentionned.

Those Henry the 8 cabs are nothing short of awesome with my SVT head (I don't own one, but have gigged thru a buddys, a compact thunderbox!)
    Last edited by paparhino; 10-26-2003 at 07:28 PM.

Ampeg all the way. If you want a warm ture bass tone.

And if you are into slap and pop and hi Fi sound go for Eden.

Forum Member
    Great, funny you should mention Ampeg. I played one in the 60s and I was thinking about it recently. I can't find a store with a decent delection of them to try out.
    "I got murder in my heart for the judge."