Thread: Esophageal cancer. Docs, nurses, survivors, family - give me the straight dope.

Esophageal cancer. Docs, nurses, survivors, family - give me the straight dope.

Looks like my 84 yr old father-in-law may have it. They found a tumor at the base of his esoph when he went into ER yesterday to drain blood from his stomach (had spit up blood in the AM).

He's been after his doc to listen to him for the better part of two months about constant burping, indigestion and acid reflux. Incidentaly - the man has had a hiatal hernia and acid reflux for over 30 years so you'd think just MAYBE the doc would even consider esoph cancer??? But the doc simply prescribed him antacids and sent him on his merry way.

Anyway - they scoped him yesterday and found a 'mass' - a tumor of unknown size (at least that's what they've told him). Biopsy results may be known later today but the attending physician told him it was very likely cancer.

My impression of esoph cancer is not good - I've never known anyone personally who survived more than a few months after diagnosis. I'm sure it's an aggressive cancer. If anyone has the straight scoop on procedures available, success rates, alternative options, I'd appreciate it. The hospital doc has already broached the subject of surgery and I'm sure the choices of what to do are gonna come fast and furious at this man. So I'm trying to get somewhat educated on the subject as fast as I can.

Thanks.

Having just learned I have Barretts Esophagus, which is almost like pre-cancerous cells, I know the frustration of going to a doctor year after year complaining about terrible heartburn and all he says is - take some Mylanta. If he had started me on prevacid four years ago - I'd be fine. I wish I could tell you more, and there will certainly be more qualified people that can respond to this, but when I read up on esophagial cancer it scared the crap out of me. My neighbor did survive it three years ago, so I know it can be beaten - but he told me what saved him was very early detection. Prayers to your father-in-law - it does sound like he might be in for a rough time....

Good luck!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Forum Member
    I'm so so sorry about this. You and your FIL are in my thoughts.

Forum Member
    He used to cut the grass...But now his mind is totally destroyed by music.
    I'm sorry for your FIL. It sounds like the doctor wasn't doing a good job at all.

The doc I'm seeing for my problem says a lot of docs don't realize how bad heartburn can be, or the trouble it can cause. Sounds like a load of happy horseshit to me...
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

telebluesfan

man my prayers are with you and your family bro the dr's weren't listening to your fatherinlaws problems more closely

god bless i honestly wish you /your family the best
    we're all pullin for him

sincerely
    bluelou
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS

Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts. It's appreciated.

It's Saturday AM here and we still haven't gotten the biopsy results back. But we've done some internet surfing about Esoph cancer in general and are prepared to ask lots of questions if the biop is positive. He's a healthy 84 yrs old (current condition excepted) - but still his age is a concern no matter what course of action he decides to take. For now, we're just preparing so we can deal with it rationally depending on what stage it's in and what his prognosis looks like.

Will keep you informed - but by all means, if you think of anything that you believe might be helpful let me know.

And thanks again very much.

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman
    Hey tele,
    My Dad was diagnosed with esophageal cancer about 4 years ago. He was 61 at the time. His tumor was also at the base of the esophagus and he exhibited similar symptoms.
    He opted for surgery, since the cancer had not metastisized. The surgery was a major procedure, though. He lost a bunch of weight post surgery and it took nearly two years for him to gain it back.
    Each case is different. Tumors vary in size and type. Treatment options vary with the type of cancer as well. (Radiation, chemo, surgery, etc.)
    It sounds like you are well prepared to make the right decisions. (The internet is a wonderful tool, but be careful not to overload yourself.) I'll send some positive vibes your way, for what it's worth. Keep us posted.
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

re:telebluesfan

HI MAN I PRAY YOU ALL THE BEST I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST AND WE ALL ARE SUPPORTIVE HERE FOR YOU AND PULLIN FOR YOUR FAMILY /ESPECIALLY YOUR FATHERINLAW

GOD BLESS AND TRY TO THINK POSITIVE SMILE AND THINK GOOD THOUGHTS BRO ITS EASIER SAID THAN DONE I KNOW BUT WE ALL HERE ARE WITH YOU IN SPIRITS AND MIND
    GOD BLESS
    SINCERELY LOU
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS

Update - news as expected. :(

Well, I promised you an update.

Saturday night while I was setting up for our gig I got the call from Mrs. TBF. The tumor is indeed the big "C". He (we all) pretty much expected that to be the case so it wasn't a surprise, but still sad nonetheless.

Anyway, no less than 7 doctors examined him and spoke with him throughout the day Sunday. At least two were oncologists and at least one was a heart surgeon (who would be required to attend if surgery was chosen). The oncologists and the heart surgeon recommended he not undergo the surgery. At his age, it's a brutal surgery and there are a whole host of side issues that could end up making for a worse result than not having it. The heart surgeon - and I quote - called the surgery "a big mess" of an operation. On a somewhat positive note, the oncologists told him that it appeared the cancer has not spread to other organs and that radiation/chemo has a good chance to slow the growth down - maybe even shrink it a bit (no guaranty - but a possibility).

So, it looks like this will eventually take the man's life. When that will be only God knows. But he seems OK with the prognosis and is willing to fight it with the radiation and chemo. He undergoes a PET scan sometime soon to verify the cancer hasn't spread beyond the esophagus.

Thanks again everyone for your prayers, best wishes and helpful advice (especially you cooltone - thx for the honest appraisal per your email msg). I appreciate it more than you'll ever know. God bless you all and take care of your loved ones!

Forum Member
    Prayers!!!

We'll keep the candle burnin' for you and your FIL...

TELEBLUESFAN

HEY I HAVE SKIN CANCER MELANOMA I GET LUMPS CHEMO /TRADITIONAL DRUG THERAPY NEVER SLOWED ME DOWN
    BRO THE SURGERY IS HARD BUT HE HAS A CHANCE IT IS HARD ITS BRUTAL I HATE USING THAT WORD BUT DR'S ARENT THE ONES SUFFERING
    IF YOUR FATHER INLAW HAS DECENT HEALTH COVERAGE ME I AM SPEAKING FOR ME I WOULD GO THE SURGICAL REMOVAL ROUTE
    I HAD 3 -5 TUMORS CANCEROUS REMOVED FROM ME BECAUSE I DIDNT KNO THESE LITTLE BROWN SPOTS WERE MAKING ROOTS INTO MY BODY SO I HAD THEM CUT OUT AND FROZEN OFF I AINT THE ELEPHANT MAN ALL I WAS WAS A PROFESSIONAL HEAVY EQUIPTMENT PAINTER WITH 20 YRS OF LEAD PAINT IN MY SYSTEM
    ALL I AM SAYING IS PLEASE DONT GIVE UP BRO
    I KNO ITS PAINFUL
    BUT ASK ANOTHER ONOCOLOGIST IF HE CAN FOR OPINIONS /POSSIBLILTIES
    THE CHEMO IS HARD BUT IT AINT THE END UNLESS YOU GIVE UP

I WANT YOU TO KNO YOUR FATHERINLAW IS IN MY PRAYERS

MY CANCER SPREAD IN 91 WHEN I FOUND A 1/2 LUMP ON MY STERNUM AREA I WAS 29 I WAS A TOUGH GUY HEY ITS JUST A BOIL BOY WAS I WRONG

I DIDNT THINK OF IT TILL I FOUND ONE TUMOR MORE IN MY RIGHT UPPER ARM I CUT IT OUT MYSELF

YEA MYSELF /EXACTO KNIFE CAUSE I KNEW I COULD FIND IT EASIER THAN THE DRS AND THEY RAKEW UP BIG BILLS
    BRO I CUT THAT MASS OUT I DID THEN I WENT TO HOSPITAL WITH IT ON ICE FOR BIOPSY AND STITCHES I JUST HAVE A EXTRODINARILY HIGH TOLERANCE TO PAIN

I AM INTO SOME HEALTHCARE AS I STUDIED UNDER MY OWN EVALUATIONS AND READ LOTS OF BOOKS
    ABOUT WHAT I WAS GETTIN IN TO
    MY TYPE OF CANCER SPREADS RAPIDLY AND AGRESSIVELY I AM STILL HERE I AM A FIGHTER LIKE MY AUNT WHO WAS DIAGNOSED SAME YEAR
    WITH THE SAME TYPE OF CANCER BUT SHE HAD BY THAT TIME BOTH HER BREASTS REMOVED SHE IS FINE WE SUPPORT EACH OTHER
    YEA MEN GET CANCER I DID NOT HAVE BREAST CANCER BUTI HAD THE SAME GENE AND THE SAME CELLS AS THEM BREAST CANCER PEOPLE
    I AINT INTO THE TECHNICAL NAMES OF CANCER TO ME CANCER IS A MASS ITS CANCER IT IS BASICALLY TOO MANY WHITE CELLS OVERRIDING THE SYSTEM AND THEY MULTIPLY INTO MASSES
    IMAGINE A SMALL PIMPLE THE WHITE STUFF WELL IT LATER GROWS INTO A BOIL THEN ITS HARD THEN IT IS SOLID LIKE A SOFT SMALL PING PONG BALL THAS ABOUT THE TEXTURE OF IT ITS A MASS SOMETIMES CANCEROUS SOMETIMES NOT BUT A MASS IS A MASS
    BRO MY ANALOGY IS CANCEROUS CALLS LIKE A BLOODFLOW TO THE MASS OK IF IT GETS TOO MANY WHITE BLOOD CALLS IT MAY BECOME CANCER

I KNOA LITTLE SUBJECT I KNO ENOUGH AND STUFF I LEARNED

SOMEWHAT I HOPE I CAN HELP
    I AM SPEECHLESS I REALLY AM MY HEART HONESTLY GOES OUT

DONT LET HIM GIVE UP 84 ISNT OLD IN MY BOOK ITS HALF OUR AGES PLEASE LET HIM SEE A FEW MORE DR'S WHO SPECIALIZE IN MICRO SURGICAL TUMOR REMOVAL PROCEDURES
    THERE IS GOOD POSSIBILITIES WITH MICRO SURGICAL REMOVAL ITS DIFFERENT THAN MOST DRS ARE SPECIALIZED IN BUT IT WORKS
    TRUST ME BRO

I REALLY CARE OR ELSE I WOULDNT TELL YOU ABOUT MY ORDEAL

LIFE IS TOO SHORT AND I AM 1/2 HIS AGE

HE SHOULD FIGHT

DONT STRIP HIM OF HIS DIGHNITY DRS ARENT SO EXTRORDINARY YOU TELL THEM WHAT YOU WANT
    IT IS SERIOUS SURGERY BUT ALL SURGICAL PROCEDURES ALL OF THEM HAVE THE SAME RISKS
    SO BE STRONG
    GOD BLESS
    I THINK ABOUT YOUR FATHERIN LAW ALL THE TIME SINCE I SEEN THE POST YOUR POSTS
    I WISH YOU THE BEST

MORPHINE ONLY NUMBS THE MIND
    PLEASE LOOK ONCE MORE INTO OPTIONS
    OK
    YOUR FRIEND
    GOD BLESS
    ASK ME WHAT EVER YOU WANT
    BLUELOU
    YEA THATS MY REAL NICKNAME
    Last edited by BLUELOU; 10-28-2003 at 10:20 AM.
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS

Thanks Lou - I appreciate it very much.

We're not giving the doctors any 'passes' on which course of action to take. We have half the family searching the internet, calling cancer research centers, etc. in an effort to find out all his options. We're asking lots of questions and nothing is certain at this point - other than the PET scan to see where the cancer is and at what stage it is. I'd say he is leaning toward chemo/radiation - but that's not a given. He's a well-read man and has been ravenous for info on a lot of subjects all his life. This is just one more thing to learn about in many ways to him.

He'll fight - that I promise you. I had just a brief doubt the first night when we were told that a tumor had been found and it was 'likely' cancerous. He said something like, "I'm not about have the surgery. Why? To prolong the agony for a few months?" About an hour later when we were ready to leave - I made sure I was the last one to say goodbye to him and the others were a bit out of earshot. I leaned over his head real close and whispered in his ear, "Don't you give up now! You have grandsons (my boys) looking up to you." He broke down but nodded his head in agreement. The next day we were ALL on a mission to find out as much as possible about what we can do about this.

He ain't giving up without a fight.

TELEBLUESFAN

GOD BLESS YOU BRO BE STRONG SUPPORT HIM AND DO NOT LOOK NEGATIVE
    OK
    SMILE FOR HIM AS SHITTY AS HE MAY FEEL ETC MAKE HIM SMILE LAUGH AND REMEMBER LOVE AND SPIRIT OF GOD OVERRIDES EVERYTHING SO ALWAYS LOOK /THINK POSITIVE\

I AM ALWAYS THINKING ABOUT YOU ALL OVER THERE I WISH I COULD PERSONALLY SAY HI

IREALLY RELATE TO THIS BUT SO FAR ME / MY AUNT ARE LIVING PROOF AND SHE IS ABOUT 80 SO WE SUPPORT EACH OTHER
    OVER 12 YRS TO THIS DAY WE ARE STILLL RUNNING STRONG

GOD BLESS
    YOUR FFRIEND
    BLUELOU
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman
    Hey tbf,
    I am sorry about the news. The Dr's assessment of the surgical procedure was accurate. I think that the radiation/chemo route sounds like a good place to start.
    One thing that potentiates treatment is the belief that the treatmant is working. There is a book called "Healing and the Mind" by Bill Moyers (basically a transcript of a PBS documentary) which shows evidence that people who practiced meditation and relaxation techniques during therapy had much greater successes post treatment:2c

Good luck and keep your head up.
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

COOLTONE /TELEBLESFAN

GUYS
    COOLTONE HIT THRE NAIL ON THE HEAD THINKING POSITIVE AND MIND EXCERCISES /RELAXATION/ TECHNIQUES AND JUST MEDITATING HELPED ME
    I DO IT IN MY WAY BUT I AM TRUE I THINK POSITIVE
    COOLTONE I READ THAT BOOK BUT I ALSO GOT MEDITATIONAL BOOKS AROUND HERE IN A PLASTIC MILK CASE
    I GOTTA LOOK FOR THEM I AM BAD WITH NAMES

SORRY I FORGOT NAMES
    BUT COOLTONE HIT THE NAIL IT REMINDED ME OF A BOOK I READ HE MENTIONED

I REALLY CARE ABOUT PEOPLE
    GOD BLESS
    SINCERELY
    LOU
    Last edited by BLUELOU; 10-28-2003 at 10:28 PM.
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS