Thread: Van Zandt pickups

Van Zandt pickups

I'm sure these pickups are great, but the text on their website http://www.vanzandtpu.com/ is pretty stupid IMO. Are they trying to sell pickups or travels to Texas? I wonder if anyone is more interested in the pickups after reading their page.

Nothing against Van Zandt though, I'd love to try a set if I could afford it.
    "Insurance is like marriage, you pay and pay but you never get anything back" - Al bundy.

The text on the site might be a bit cliched, but you won't find nicer people than JD or a better Strat pup than their Vintage Plus. As far as pricing, they are cheaper than most other boutique winders.

Here a set of VZs cost about $300. I don't know what they cost over there but it's still too much for me. I'm still in school so I don't make any money.
    "Insurance is like marriage, you pay and pay but you never get anything back" - Al bundy.

Bluester,
    It's kind of a Texas thing, a lot of people here are...ahem..."proud" to be from texas. As a non native texan it is a little odd, but there is a lot of guitar tradition here so it's easy to see where they are coming from. They do make great pickups btw

Forum Member
    I'm no Strat pup expert, but I've heard allot of them. I presently have a set of VZ Vintage Plus in my J. Black MB Strat - swamp ash w/ RW brd. Scott P. (above) wired up the pickguard putting a Fralin Base plate under the bridge pup and moving the mid tone control to the bridge with a .01 polypropylene cap. The result is a very lovely classic vintage over all, fat neck, strong mid and very useable bridge that get nice P90-type tones.

BTW, I had swapped out the Voodoo 60 Black Bottoms I previously had for the VZ. The VD 60s are also a great vintage style pup.

nickcha,

Did you try your VZ bridge without the Fralin baseplate first? I have a set of VZ in my G&L Legacy and I love em. Been thinking about throwin a baseplate in there, tho
    This has been a famous mortimer production

Forum Member
    if you like the pups you`ll love the guitars. Over here they have a deal with a maker to produce their own line of guitars. I own 2 strats that are superb and have my eyes peeled for a tele. They are just as well made as Fender USA custom shops and come with all US made electronics and lacquer finishes. Bit expensive new but used are very reasonable...well, for Japan anyway.

Pickdropper:

I played my set of VZ Vintage + without a base plate for a year or so. It was OK but I just kept wishing it had a bit more output and fatness on the bridge without sacrificing the bridge/middle tone. I liked what the base plate did to my Fralins so I installed one on my VZ set and it was perfect. It fattened up the bridge just enough and didn't muddy up the quacky bridge/middle combination that a hotter bridge pup would have.

If you are looking for a little more fatness from your bridge and don't want to sacrifice the quack, I would highly recommend this cheap mod. :yay

Forum Member

vanzandts pups!!

i also have the vintage+ pups,and they are one of the best pups you can find in my opion,i also have the fralin vintage hots . they are second two none! and i've tryed alot of different pups at are out there and these two have the best vintage vibe going!!

and one more thing, know one hardly ever talks about what amp they are using or what type of tone there after!if you have a killer amp(like my 66BFSR) you can play any thing though it!!!

chris

Hi Experts,

I recently opened up my ´94 SRV which I bought used last year
    and surprisingly I saw VANZANDT embossed on the PU Bobbin´s.
    On the Middle PU there was some white lettering but I couldn´t read it so I took some measurements and it turned out that all PU´s had about 7kOhm. So my question is now what type of VZ´s are those ? Rock, Blues, Vintage +, True Vintage ?
    Couldnt find any Spec´s on the net.
    I appreciate your help...

cu
    bluesfreak :smokin

If they measured a bit over 7K, they are Rocks.

Blues come in around 6.6K If I remember correctly and my Vintage Plus set comes in around 6.2K.