Thread: Strat wiring diagram without tone controls?

Forum Member

Strat wiring diagram without tone controls?

I'd like to modify my Strat that there are no tone controls in the signal path, only the volume control. Would this change the sound - would it get brighter or darker? And how would the wiring diagram look like? Thanks for any advice!

it will make you guitar brighter, by how much, and in a pleasent way? i can't answer that, cause it really depends on a whole ot of things, your amp, how many pedals you use, cable length. what i can tell you is that this mod is pretty easy to perform. you can got about it in two ways, you can either just clip the wires going into the tone pots, or you can get out the soldering iron and disconnect them from the switch. either way is fine. and if you have wired before, then it should really only take as long as it does to pull the guard. if not, let me know and i can go into more detail and step by step instructions.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

I've been talking to spose in another thread, not exactly the same but similar. He has a simple pot mode that makes it play straight through. You should check out my thread on caps. Better to have the control and not use it than not have it at all.

But, yes, it's not hard to do. Chuckocaster has it right, clip the leads. all output goes straight out the bridged section of the switch then.
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

Forum Member

Thanks a lot!

Originally posted by chuckocaster
    it will make you guitar brighter, by how much, and in a pleasent way? i can't answer that, cause it really depends on a whole ot of things, your amp, how many pedals you use, cable length. what i can tell you is that this mod is pretty easy to perform. you can got about it in two ways, you can either just clip the wires going into the tone pots, or you can get out the soldering iron and disconnect them from the switch. either way is fine. and if you have wired before, then it should really only take as long as it does to pull the guard. if not, let me know and i can go into more detail and step by step instructions.
    I clipped the wires and it works!

that is good to hear. for a while i didn't have a tone pot on my tele bass, the pot was in just not hooked up, but it was too bright. so i wired it in and leave it on 10. it really helped with that guitar. but then again i have a couple other guitars and basses with no tones on them and they sound fine to my ears.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

Re: Strat wiring diagram without tone controls?

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster
    that is good to hear. for a while i didn't have a tone pot on my tele bass, the pot was in just not hooked up, but it was too bright. so i wired it in and leave it on 10. it really helped with that guitar. but then again i have a couple other guitars and basses with no tones on them and they sound fine to my ears.
    I never have tone pots connected, if I do I find that because I never have em I never check to see if they're on 10 and because I knocked one it takes me a while to figure out that, oh shit that's right, I've got my tone pots connected now. I never liked the sound of rolling off the treble either. So just one knob to worry about.
    Mate,can you turn that thing down?