Thread: Cyber Champ Amp "Pops" loudly when shutting off?

Cyber Champ Amp "Pops" loudly when shutting off?

My Cyber Champ amp makes a loud popping noise whenever I shut it off. Just started a few weeks ago. I've tried spraying the on/off switch with a blow-off contact cleaner without removing the sealed chassis cover but that didn't help. The cover is seemingly attached with a single screw but frankly it's sealed so tightly on all 4 sides that I doubt that the single screw is the only thing keeping it on? Any suggestions from the experts here?

Re: Cyber Champ Amp "Pops" loudly when shutting off?

Hisses and pops are often signs that capacitors have reached the end of their useful life. Cheap electrolytics are especially suspect.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Hisses and pops are often signs that capacitors have reached the end of their useful life. Cheap electrolytics are especially suspect.
    +1

And contemporary Fenders are loaded with them.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Thanks for that informed response. Is the "fix" for that a pretty simple straightforward & inexpensive job at any music shop that employs an amp tech?

Nope, it's all PCB stuff and unless you're very skilled and have the correct equipment you can start ruining traces on the PCBs, and the cost of said repair will probably exceed the amp's value. The Cyber amps were an interesting experiment, but never caught on. Today you can buy a lot more functionality in a cheap amp.

Considering the price of a used "real" Champ I'd probably go down that road instead. Or a C30, or a Jet. Jets are fun.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

That?s my thought. Cybers are pretty much dispose of when they go bad.
    Mark