Thread: New Music Theory/Guitar Instruction Blog

Forum Member

New Music Theory/Guitar Instruction Blog

Hello Everyone,

I’m new to The Fender Forum and just wanted to let everyone know that I recently published a blog of music theory as it relates to guitar playing (appropriately called “music theory and the guitar”) and thought some of you might find it useful.

The goal of the blog is to provide a frame of reference that will allow students to see the big picture of music so that they can more easily understand where the individual pieces fit.

If anyone is interested, it can be accessed at https://blitzstarguitar.com/blog/.

Please let me know if you find it helpful. If you have any questions or anything you want to discuss, I’m here.

Frank

Re: New Music Theory/Guitar Instruction Blog

I'm thrilled to see you start with the major scale. Nothing ruins a guitar player faster than prematurely learning the pentatonic minor scale first and then becoming too lazy to understand where it comes from and how to use when it's appropriate. If I hear one more Sweet Home Alabama guitar solo using the D pentatonic minor scale, I'm going to just vomit on the spot!
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob View Post
    I'm thrilled to see you start with the major scale. Nothing ruins a guitar player faster than prematurely learning the pentatonic minor scale first and then becoming too lazy to understand where it comes from and how to use when it's appropriate. If I hear one more Sweet Home Alabama guitar solo using the D pentatonic minor scale, I'm going to just vomit on the spot!
    My god man, who does that. SHA is actually in G. First mistake guitarists make. Ed even posted a video on it. RIP
    Mark

nice

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    My god man, who does that. SHA is actually in G. First mistake guitarists make. Ed even posted a video on it. RIP
    Clearly, you've never hosted an open jam. Lot's of newbs assume the first chord is the I. Or they see me using the Cmajor scale in SHA to make it more rock and less country and totally spin out.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Only a few hosted, more I was part of as a guest.
    Mark