Thread: Help ID this bass - take 2

Forum Member

Help ID this bass - take 2

Hi -

First time posting -

I'm considering the purchase of a 2020 American Ultra Precision Bass, serial #US20058300. I've looked up the serial number on Fender's website and everything appears to match their description except for the fretboard and headstock. Per Fender's website, it should have the dot inlays and the headstock should say "Fender Precision Bass". However, the seller's has the rectangular inlays and the headstock says "Fender Jazz Bass". I've searched quite a bit online and can't find anything with this same configuration. I'm asking the seller if the neck could have been changed, but that doesn't seem likely since the serial number appears legit (unless it was moved).

Sellers add: !!! 2020 FENDER PRECISION JAZZ BASS ULTRA - 9.5/10 CONDITION !!! - musical instruments - by owner - sale - craigslist

Anyone aware of this configuration? I'm continuing to reach out to the seller with similar questions.

Thanks in advance -

Forum Member

Re: Help ID this bass - take 2

Response from the seller is that it's 100% original that he bought from the original owner. He believes it might be a one off that the dealer requested or Fender.

Sounds plausible?

Thanks -

It looks like the real deal to me. It could have been a special run. If not, then someone has probably replaced the neck. Have you tried to ask the folks at the forum talkbass ? You'll more than likely find some aficionados there, maybe even one of them who has the same model.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

Thanks for your response and suggestion. I also called Fender's support line, and they thought the neck may have been changed at some point, but given the serial number is on the headstock, someone would have needed to transfer it (not likely).

I did end up purchasing and am happy with it.

jim